‹ Prequel: Betsy O'Loughlin
Sequel: Temptation

New Year's Eve

2012.

I knew I was just wishing on a fairytale.

One year.

One whole year I've wasted, lusting after something I can't have. And trust me, I know I should stop. And I've tried. But this overwhelming feeling in the pit of my stomach just refuses to go away. It's more stubborn than I am.

I pick up the shot in front of me immediately, pressing it against my lips and downing it in one swallow. It was bitter as it rolled down my throat, but I ignore it.

"Whoa, whoa," the boy beside me exclaims. "Easy there, Kaylee."

I bring my eyes to him, narrowing them slightly. "It was my first shot, Alexander," I mock, straightening out the dress on my frame. I had worn it especially for Jack, but he had barely given me a second glance. Why would I think he would notice? "I wasn't planning on getting shit-faced drunk tonight. I'm the designated driver, remember?"

Alex shrugs, waving his hand for another beer. "Yeah, yeah. But it's New Year's Eve. A lot of people say that." The bartender appears with his new drink, and he takes it. "And I could be the driver as well. I promised myself I wouldn't get drunk."

I roll my eyes. "You say that every time we go out to a bar. And it never happens."

"Haha," he laughs sarcastically. "Shutup."

I let out a faint giggle as I turn in my bar-stool to survey the club. I could faintly spot Cassadee and Rian on the dance floor, and Zack and Kate were at a table, laughing and talking. I gaze around more, trying to find the black-haired kid I was searching for. No luck. I bring a hand up and finger the necklace around my neck.

"Fuck Jack," I finally say. Alex raises an eyebrow. "Fuck him. I mean, why do I like him in the first place? He doesn't like me back. He never has. Why am I wasting so much time on him?" I let a scoff bubble out of my throat.

Alex shakes his head. "Don't jump to conclusions, Kay."

"I'll jump to conclusions if I want, Alexander."

He sighs and shakes his head. I once again scan the club, biting my bottom lip. It was five minutes until the clock rang midnight, and I had vowed to confess my feelings to Jack, maybe even kiss him the second it turned to 2012, but where is he?

I once again felt myself running my finger over the curve of the wing on my necklace. The necklace he had given me for my birthday. I wore it for him tonight.

"Where is he anyway?" I ask Alex once again, trying to seem casual.

He shrugs. "Probably on the dance floor. I saw him talking to some girl earlier."

And even though Jack was in no way shape or form mine, a flash of jealousy and anger swept through me. Alex clearly saw that heat, and raises one thick eyebrow. "You okay, Kaylee?" He reaches out to put a hand on my shoulder, but I jump off my stool before he could touch me.

"I'm fine," I try to smile, but it felt more like a grimace. "I'm gonna go freshen up in the bathroom, okay?" I don't let him answer and just spin on my heel to walk away.

I push past people on the dance floor, letting their muttered curses float by me.

But before I could reach the safety of the glorious toilet, I feel a hand on my arm. I turn to look back at who it was, my heart instantly melting at the sight of him. He looked especially gorgeous tonight, with his hair all mussed per-usual, his leather jacket looking yummy on him. His jeans were, of course, skin tight and he was wearing a purple button down with a black tie. I almost laugh hysterically when I just noticed we matched.

"Where you off to, Kay?" he grins his infamous Jack-grin. He cocks his head toward the wall, where a clock hang. "The ball is about to drop. Aren't you gonna stick around for it?"

I shrug. "I've witnessed this plenty of times. It's not necessary that I stick around."

He juts his bottom lip out in a pout. "But I want you to be stick around."

I open my mouth to give an excuse, when the counting down began. I roll my eyes. This was always the most annoying part of New Year's Eve. The countdown. It was old and just got obnoxious. But Jack was smiling all the same, and it made me feel good to see him smiling at me like that. The same old flutter goes through my stomach.

Twenty-nine, twenty-eight...

"Come on!" he whines. "It's about to be 2012. Isn't this exciting? The last year of our lives!"

I laugh, shaking my head so my hair swung in front of my face. "I'm not really in the mood tonight, Jack." I glance at the large screen where it showed the picture of Times Square, the thousands of people gathered to watch the ball fall.

Twenty-two, twenty-one, twenty...

"And why not?" he asks, his jaw dropped.

I shrug. "Just slightly disappointed. It's not important."

Eighteen, seventeen...

Jack raises an eyebrow at me. "Disappointed? That's not a good feeling to have on New Year's Eve. What are you disappointed about?" I was very aware that his hand was still curled around my arm. Why is it still there?

I bite my bottom lip. "Uh...the guy I wanted to kiss me at midnight already has someone to kiss." I didn't know if this was the whole truth, but I was making assumptions since Alex said Jack had been talking to a girl earlier. Which caused another thought to appear: if Jack has someone to kiss, why isn't he with her?

Fourteen, thirteen, twelve...

"That's sad," Jack sighs dramatically. "At least you're not alone."

I cock my head to side, much like he had done moments ago. "What do you mean?"

Ten, nine...

"I don't have anyone to kiss either," he shrugs, his grip tightening slightly on my forearm. "The girl I want to kiss doesn't want to kiss me back."

I felt my heart sink. He does like someone else. "This sucks, huh?" I chuckle faintly.

Eight, seven...

Jack gives a loose smirk. "Do you want to kiss me?"

My eyes widen. "What?"

"I know you want to kiss me."

"Uh, I, uh..."

Five, four, three...

"Just kiss me," he grins before using his grip on my arm to pull me into him.

Two, One...

As the yells of, "HAPPY NEW YEAR!" went around, Jack's lips press to mine. I couldn't help but immediately respond, my arms going around his neck as his curl around my waist, lifting me slightly off the ground so my feet no longer touched the floor. Our lips moved in sync, as if I knew exactly what he would do next. I felt complete, like everything in my life tied together, holding me to Jack like he was the missing puzzle piece.

It had been a good thirteen seconds into 2012 when Jack finally pulled away, his beautiful smirk plastered on his lips. "I knew you wanted to kiss me when the ball dropped," he says cockily, his arms still holding me in the air.

I grin back. "How did you know?"

He shrugs. "I just know these things, I guess." He leans back up again and presses a soft kiss to my lips. "Happy New Year, Kay."

I was eager to return the kiss. "Happy New Year, Jack."
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy New Year everybody!

I hope your brand new 365 days will be amazing :)