‹ Prequel: Just Like You...
Status: A Work in Progress

Mirror Image

Not. Cool.

JACKY POV

"You okay?" Jinxx sat down in the empty seat beside me in the waiting room. "I guess that's a stupid question." He snorted.

"It's my fault." I groaned.

"Don't think like that." He frowned.

"Honestly, Jacky, it's not your fault." Sammi agreed.

I sighed.

"Come on, let's leave him alone." Jinxx got up and left to go sit with the others.

I was grateful for someone like him who gave me space. Most of the others had been on my case all night, especially since we got here.

I hate hospitals. They smell like bleach. You go to the emergency room and there's kids with broken bones and adults with strange diseases. It's just a generally weird place to be, I hate it.

"Jacky, shit, sorry! Jacky!" Ronnie came into the room and I looked up as he almost crashed into an old woman who didn't look happy with him. He'd gone to see her, along with Alyssa. Family is just allowed everywhere. "Jacky," He finally got to where I was seated. "You need to get your ass back there."

"What's up?" I tried to be calm, but my heart was starting to race now. "Is she awake?" At the sound of that, everyone (though I'm sure they had already been listening) made it obvious that they were listening by looking at us.

"No...but there's something you need to hear." He motioned for me to get up and follow him. I followed him through double doors after double doors, he had some pass he said a doctor had loaned him to come find me with. FInally, we reached a destination and there was a doctor just standing awkwardly outside of a door in the middle of the hospital. "Dr. Jawauskijj." He nodded to the man. Dr. Jawauskijj nodded back and turned to me.

"Are you the patient's boyfriend?"

I opened my mouth, but Ronnie gave me a look. Instead, I just nodded.

You wish you were still her boyfriend.

"As I told Ronnie, the patient is stable now. There were three steps in the procedure. We were worried for a while, but we were able to pump her stomach and stabilize her."

"What was the third step?" I whispered.

"Ah, yes, well." This man was starting to thoroughly piss me off. "That was a cesarian."

"A...for what?!" I stammered.

Ronnie looked a little nervous.

"For the baby?" He looked at me like I was an idiot. "He wouldn't have made it. Of course, he's only four months and with the drugs, I'm sure he's been hindered somehow. I suspect, despite the usual 50:50 odds of a baby this young making it prematurely, this one won't be very fortunate. We've numbered him at about 20%. He's around 1 1/2 lbs, so he was probably closer to five months. I--Mr. Vincent you were aware she was pregnant?"

I blinked and shook my head.

"Yes, well, she was and this young gentleman has put your name on the birth certificate." He looked at Ronnie. "I must leave you two now, she should be awake in a few more hours."

"Thank you." Ronnie gave him the pass back and the man left.

I walked over to look in the window to her room where I could see Alyssa braiding her hair.

"You're a dad." Ronnie commented.

"It's not going to make it." I took a deep breath. "She didn't even remotely look pregnant."

"Well, see, some girls don't start showing until late. He's a really small baby, Vince, I don't think we'd have noticed for a while longer. I don't even think she knew."

"I--" I ran my hand through my hair. "Fuck."

"Come on, you need to sleep, she'll be up in a few hours." He looked at me sympathetically.

"Ronnie, I--"

"Come on." He sighed.

She's only sixteen. I'm just over twenty. This can't be happening. This doesn't happen in real life! When does this every happen in real life?! This is not happening to me. When does this ever seriously happen?!

Ronnie gave me a once over before nodding to Derek and Ryan.

"I'm going to go back with Alyssa, watch him, he needs sleep."

They nodded and he left.

"Come on let's go, the guys booked the hotel across the street and--"

"Are you crying?" Ryan asked suddenly. I closed my eyes. "Dude, whatever happened, I'm sure she'll be okay. Ronnie seems to think she'll be fine and--" I shook my head. "What's wrong?"

"She's not the only one to worry about now." I whispered, my eyes still closed.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Derek asked, thoroughly confused.

"I-I need to go outside, I need air."

"I thought you got over your claustrophobia..."

"She was pregnant okay?" I snapped, opening my eyes. "And I didn't know and no one else knew and there's a kid four or five months premature somewhere in that maze they call a hospital that I didn't even know fucking existed and it's my fault odds say it's going to die."

Derek looked shocked and there was a gasp and someone ran up and gave me a hug and there was suddenly just this big mass in the practically empty room.

"Why did this happen?" I whispered.