‹ Prequel: Just Like You...
Status: A Work in Progress

Mirror Image

Everything Is a Cause of Celebration for You

SHEA POV

I clasped my lucky necklace around my neck quickly and turned to look at Sammi. I know my face was as white as a ghost.

"You're bringing him home today." She smiled, holding her arms out for a hug.

I could only nod.

Well…here goes nothing.

___

"Dear Lord," I sighed. "I never knew it to be so difficult to get a kid in the car."

"I still don't understand why I had to--"

"Shut up, Jinxx!" Sammi shushed, peeking over me to look in the car seat at JJ. He was facing backwards, eyes darting around the car: never settling on just one thing. He looked nervous, scared. I don't blame him, all he's ever seen is that one, lone, hospital room.

He turned around, rather than just looking in the rearview as he had been doing, to give her a look that said "you're insane."

"But you love me." She smiled, still looking at JJ.

"Jacky, he looks like a crack addict, eyes darting everywhere." I bit my lip.

"i highly doubt he's a crack addict. That's not what y--"

JACKY POV

Fuck why did I even start that sentence?! I cut myself short.

Sammi's head snapped up, I could see it out of the corner of my eye. Shea fell silent. Jinxx gave me an apologetic look. I stopped at the red light.

"Love, I didn't mean--"

"I know." She whispered.

"No, I really--"

"The light is green," She said quietly, beginning to fiddle with JJ's hand. Sammi shot me a glare. I closed my eyes and took a quiet breath, driving forward before traffic behind me got upset.

SHEA POV

"I don't think he meant it." Sammi watched as I tried desperately to put JJ to sleep. I rocked him in my arms. "Maybe he's hungry?" She suggested. I nodded and went to get it from the warmer I had going in the corner.

I know, I know, don't leave it plugged in, the house will burn down.

It wasn't unattended though, I was in the room.

I pulled the plug after testing and deciding the bottle was warm enough.

"But, he did." I bit my lip, pressing the bottle softly against JJ's lips. He moved his head to the side. "Jacky never says anything he doesn't mean. JJ, please, baby boy, go to sleep?" He'd never given me trouble in the hospital when I put him down for naps.

"His eyes are turning light brown. You think they'll be hazel (A/N- read A/N for last chapter, I added a list of complaints about my friend that will make this sentence make sense XD) like Jacky's?" She walked over to take the bottle and hand me a baby pacifier. "And I don't think he did. I don't think he realized what he was saying. You brought up crack and he just, his first reaction was that you thought the behavior was your fault and--"

"Don't quote him." I sighed, looking down at the infant in my arms. "Baby, please, go to sleep, it's late."

"Can I try?" Jacky knocked at the door. I looked up just in time to see Sammi slip out of the room. I nodded and passed JJ off along with his cloth and the bottle. Jacky gently squeezed a drop onto the baby's lips and JJ opened his mouth to eat. It was…scary how good of a father he was.

"I'll have to remember that one." I bit my lip. It was a moment or two of silence that ensued and continued for long enough that JJ finished the bottle and had drifted off to sleep. When Jacky pulled the bottle back, there was a clanking sound as JJ spasmed. He remained asleep, though, and Jacky passed him back. I placed him in his crib and slipped his breathing tube into his nose, taping it to his cheek. As I stood up, I noticed the thing that had clanked against the plastic bottle in JJ's hand. I paused to look at it, before bending over to reach for it. Jacky put his arms around my waist.

I pried a ring out of JJ's warm, sweaty, firm baby grip. He snorted a little, but continued sleeping. The ring was probably no bigger that his hand.

"Come on." Jacky pulled me into the hallway and downstairs to where couple's night with literally everyone was situated in the basement. I made sure to flip the baby monitors on before leaving, ring still in hand.

Sitting down on the floor in front of Sammi and Jinxx with Jacky a few feet away, hesitant about whether or not to approach me, I inspected the ring in the blue light provided by the movie on the screen. Ignoring the background noise of the movie: Alyssa and Erik goofing off, Ryan and his girlfriend making out, Ronnie's not-so-inconspicuous whispering, Andy and his new girlfriend's (her name is Juliet) conversation, and Jinxx and Sammi's giggling, I discovered an inscription and read it to myself. It took a while, trust me, really small font.

"I know, took me a while too." Ryan said calmly.

I looked up to realize the background noises had stopped and everyone was watching me.

"When'd he give it to you?" Alyssa asked.

"He put it in JJ's hand before he fell asleep." I bit my lip.

"So…is that a yes to the promise ring?" Ryan asked curiously. I gave Jacky a sad look.

"If he doesn't mind having an ex-druggie."

Jacky bit his lip. Ronnie's facial expression changed from indifferent to irritated.

"What'd you say to her this time?"

"Ronnie," Jinxx sounded warning. "Give them a break."

"She's my sister," Ronnie shot back, "What did you say to her, Vincent?"

"I provoked it." I whispered, "I said JJ was acting like a jumpy crack addict. He said he'd never be that because that's not what I was hooked on."

"I never said that." Jacky croaked. "Shea, please--"

"You have no fucking clue, Vincent, how much that hurts." Ronnie snapped.

"Ronnie, stop, I'm sorry, he's sorry." I whispered.

"I don't care. I loved you then, I love you now, I swear." Jacky pleaded quietly.

I watched him, now more curious than upset.

"You just said that…" I trailed off, "In front of people."

"I--" He stammered, wide-eyed.

"Jacky's whipped!" Ryan chuckled. Only he would try to lighten the mood like that.

"I--" I paused before letting out a breath I didn't realize I was holding. "I'll wear it."

He looked at me in shock.

"Cause for celebration!" Andy cheered, "Where's the booze?"

"Everything is a celebration to you." Alyssa laughed.
♠ ♠ ♠
YAY! TWO COMMENTS! :D

Yeah XD I have drama planned (not this chap, this is like...mild...but it hints at what's to come)

AND!!!!!

I'm updating! :D