My Life in a Band

Every Bad Turn Has A Right One

The worst day of my life would be today. I mean, look at what's happened today in school. First, I goofed a bit in Algebra class and I got caught. Detention in the Principal's office. Second, I left my homework at home. I pleaded to Mrs. Belfry if I could still pass it the next day, but since she was a very strict teacher, she didn't give me a chance. Third, as I was going down the stairs, I suddenly tripped and fell down a couple of steps. Everyone was like 'What's up with you?' And then when I thought no one was looking at me in class, I read a book I borrowed in the library and read under my table. But I was totally wrong. The whole time I was reading, Mrs. Piff was actually looking at me. So another detention for me!

Wow. I can't believe I was awarded two detentions in one day. Can anyone top that?

So I really think it was the worst day of my life and I was excited to escape from school so I hurried to Franklin School of the Arts or FSA. But I think all those bad luck from school followed me when I looked into my bag and forgot my drumsticks at home. So when I arrived, I passed by one of my schoolmate and I just borrowed his drumsticks. At least I promised to return it to him the next day.

I arrived a few minutes late in class. It was always a private session so it was a good thing if I didn't want to be embarrassed. The studio was my only place of freedom. I felt I could do anything here, with its dark blue sound-proof walls and black drumset. Well, practically every musical instrument here was either black or silver.

"So how was school today?" A voice behind me said, which almost made me jump. It was Mr. Keller, my drums teacher.

"Oh..." The answer was ready. "Actually, I goofed up around a bit and humiliated myself in front of everyone." I smiled a little to show that school wasn't that bad.

"I always goofed around when I was in school..." he said thoughtfully. That's what I like about Mr. Keller. He doesn't make you feel that bad when the situation is already. "So let's start now. Cough up your sticks."

I got the sticks I borrowed out. He let me do my warm up a bit before we started with the lesson. He taught me some new beats and songs and that's about it. My mind was away and it wasn't usually that. But after the lesson it was just the same.

As I said goodbye and fixed my things, Mr. Keller said, "There's a school gig on Saturday night. You wanna come? You'll get a chance to play with the band."

This was more than I had expected. Being given this chance to play with the band was actually rare. So I agreed at once. The gig was going to be held in the school. The school was really big. I love the decorations every time there was a program here.

As I walked the ten-minute path back home, I thought about the upcoming gig. Opportunities like these were really special. I also thought about the day's events. About my bad luck in school and stuff. I suddenly realized that every bad turn had a good one and that life isn't all that bad. I guess these bad things just happen for us to be tough.

And being humiliated in school is one of them.