My Life in a Band

Do I feel something?

The cafeteria was crowded as usual when I reached it. Charlotte Hughes, my friend, asked to be left alone in the library to look up some things. I went to the cafeteria alone sometimes, but usually, I have Charlotte as my companion.

Lunch today were burgers of different kinds. Again. I'm kind of getting sick of this whole burger affair. I picked out a burger, some fries, and a can of coke. I got these almost everyday.

I looked for an empty table. It was lucky I found one with only two chairs at the back. I walked toward it. I ate my food in silence while reading a book on music.

"May I sit with you?" a voice said.

I looked up and to my surprise, it was Martin. Again. "Sure," I said. As he sat down, I asked, "Why aren't you eating with the cheerleaders and the football players, anway?"
"Well," he said slowly. "I decided to eat with you. It's time for a change, I think." And with that, he ate his lunch.

Martin wasn't that bad at all. We talked and talked and I almost forgot my lunch. I never thought we'd ever have a long talk like this. After a couple of minutes, we got up from the table and roamed the school all the while talking about things like FSA and stuff like that.
As we reached the topic about me studying drums, I asked, "Martin, would you like to go with me to our school gig tomorrow night? I'm going to be playing some songs. Anyone's invited."
He looked delighted to hear this. "Sure! I'd be glad to. I don't have anything to do tomorrow so being with you looks like a treat." He smiled widely.

We headed back to our class when we heard the bell ring. Although we were running to avoid being late, I noticed that Martin really was very popular especially among girls. They hardly even noticed me.

"So I guess we'd better separate ways. Mine's upstairs," Martin said, panting. I was panting a lot too from all the running from the school gym.

We said our goodbyes and I ran back to class quickly now that I realized I was already five minutes late. I have geography and Mrs. Pufferton disapproves of anyone being late for our class.

Surely, as I entered the classroom panting, she greeted me with her sermon about being late and how she never expected me to be. Times change, you know.

"And what's your excuse, my dear?" Mrs. Pufferton looked at me with one raised eyebrow.
"I'm sorry, Mrs. Pufferton," I said. I quickly cooked up a lie. "I left my notebook in the cafeteria and had to get it back."

She just nodded stiffly and told me to find a seat. I found one which was at the back of the class.

I listened to the lesson but my mind wasn't properly in class. It was faraway where I thought about how Martin was such a great guy. He wasn't that bad.

Wait. Am I starting to actually like him? Yes, there's no denying it. I had to control myself if I wanted to have a good show tomorrow night.

I realize too that I can't even let myself fall in love with him. Cheerleaders like him. And what am I compared to them?