My Life in a Band

Thinking About It

I woke up the next day feeling groggy. All the crying I did made me sleepy last night that I forgot to change my clothes. I still wore my formal clothes. My eyes hurt and rubbing them made it worse. I looked myself in the mirror and wasn’t surprised to see I had more bags under my eyes than the local supermarket.

I got out of bed and took off my sneakers that I was still wearing. I took a shower and thought about last night’s events. I didn’t want to think about what made me cry. I almost forgot about the offer given to me by that Charlie Roscoe and his friends. I got out of the shower still feeling sleepy. I got into my usual clothes and lay in bed again. I checked my cellular if I had any new messages. I wanted to open my laptop but even thinking about doing that made me feel tired. I wasn’t in the mood to do anything. I turned on the CD player on my study table and put in a CD of one rock band I never really listened to. I put on the earphones tightly and turned the volume full blast. It hurt my ears, but I didn’t care. I pretty much don’t care about anything right now. I lay in bed and found out the songs were actually nice if you got through the shrieks and screams. I turned it off when I felt sleepy again.

In my dreams, I saw Martin with Natasha. They looked so happy together. “Come on, Martin, just kiss me. Never mind that stupid Amber Cale. I know you want me,” Natasha had said.

I woke up disgusted. Most of all, I was feeling very angry with myself. How could I have been so stupid to crush on Martin? He’s not worth it. And I should have remembered he liked playing with girls. I was so stupid to think he was the right one for me. I was pretty pissed off. I hated myself the same as I hated Martin. I decided to ride my bike. I didn’t care now if Martin speaks to me or not.

I toured the town although I knew every way of it. It was sunset. I looked at the sky lovingly like I did before last night’s show. Then I suddenly remembered the offer. Should I take it? Drumming is my passion and I’m ready to sacrifice most of my time on it. I rode back home and decided to call Charlie Roscoe. But I should think about it more. If I just said yes, and it affected my schoolwork, then I would flunk although I knew I was getting good grades. But if I say no, I’ll spend the rest of my life not honing my talents more and just sleeping in my room. I didn’t want that of course. Besides, maybe my dream to be in a really good band would then be granted. I’ve always dreamed to be in one ever since I was a kid, even before I started drumming. I should do it.

I arrived home quickly, grabbed the phone, and went up the stairs to my room. I locked it. I didn’t want to be disturbed when I’m on the phone.

I dialled the number he gave me and waited for someone to pick it up. I waited for a while then I heard a deep musical voice saying, "Hello?"

"This is Amber Cale, may I speak to Mr. Charlie Roscoe?" I tried to be polite. I guess I tried too much.

"Oh, it's you," the deep voice said. I didn't like the way he said it. It was evident he didn't seem to like me. He called Charlie and he got on the phone. He sounded cheerful.

"Hello there, Amber," he said. "So what do you think about the proposal last night?"

"Well, I guess I could be the drummer," I said quietly. I didn't want to appear so excited.

"Okay then, band practice starts on Tuesday. We'll try to practice the song you played last night. It was really cool, you know."

"Thank you." I was a bit tired of saying thank you right now. He was giving me the address of the music studio where we'll be practicing when I asked him, "By the way, who was the one who answered the phone first?"

"Oh, it was Eric," he said casually. I thought maybe that was just the way Eric answered every phone call.

"Be there," Charlie said before he hung the phone. At least I was finally going to be in a proper band. And I hoped I could find some new friends there. But I wasn't that sure I'd be getting along with Eric that well.