My Life in a Band

Excitement To Anger

Monday was a drag. I was pretty excited about the band practice that I couldn't concentrate in class. I wasn't usually like this. My thoughts were always organized and I never let them wander outside the four walls of the classroom during class hours. But today wasn't exactly like that.

I thought about pieces I would play. Rock, alternative, jazz, or slow? I couldn't make up my mind so this afternoon(finally being free from school worries. No homework!), I hurried toward FSA for my class. Mr. Keller congratulated me again and of course, I said thank you(this is kind of getting monotonous already). I asked him if he could teach me some new impressive songs. Usually, it was very hard for me to learn one new whole song in just one session. But because of my excitement for tomorrow, I actually learned three whole songs in just one drum period! I was feeling pretty happy right now. Even Mr. Keller asked me if there was something I wasn't telling him. I don't know what came to my mind but I decided not to tell him about the band I was going to join in. Usually I tell him anything on my mind when it comes to drumming. But what if he told me I shouldn't? I don't want my hopes to be a professional drummer ruined.

I went home with high spirits. Tomorrow was going to be the day! I couldn't wait to play the drums tomorrow. I cancelled my session with Mr. Keller the next day since I was going to this building Charlie Roscoe told me to go.

Even Mom, who was watching TV when I got home, asked me what I was so happy about. I decided not to tell anyone first. I wanted it to be a surprise if they knew it themselves. They might find it outrageous that I joined a band of boys without anyone's permission but myself(my parents were strict), but at least I had fun and it's not as if there's something disgusting or surprising would happen in the music studio. I knew how to defend myself.

I opened the door to my room and decided to take a bath. I wanted to feel fresh when I was daydreaming about drumming. It helps me take my mind off any worries I had.

I had a weird dream when I'd fallen asleep on my bed. I dreamt about Eric and he said something inaudible. I was chasing him but every step was useless. He was just farther and farther away everytime I held out my hand for him to hold.

---

The next morning was the big day. I got to school earlier than usual. This time, I performed well in class. I got every question right and everybody looked at me. But not admiringly. There were strange looks on their faces as I sat down. Maybe they weren't used by my suddenly cheerful attitude. I'm not bragging but I usually get answers right. When I sit down, they act as if I hadn't spoken at all. But that's fine with me.

As soon as the bell rang for dismissal, I got out of the classroom quickly and was unchaining my bike from the school parking lot. I didn't want to appear flushed and too excited when I got there so I rode my bike a little slowly. As I was about to go out through the school gates, I caught sight of a couple locked together so tightly in an embrace and was kissing fiercely. I would have looked away quickly to respect their privacy(although they were actually doing their thing in a very public place) but I saw who the guy was. It was Martin with his new girlfriend. Suddenly, my worry-free and excited mind was filled with fury. I remembered the past events.

I continued on looking and unfortunately fell off my bike. I received a great pain on my elbow. Someone helped me get up. I was about to say my thanks when what made look up disgusted me. It was Martin looking concerned. Boohoo.

"Are you okay, Amber?" he asked very sincerely.

"I can perfectly manage without your help!" I was surprised by my attitude and got on my bike, pedaling faster than ever before, leaving a confused Martin behind, my face flushed with anger and embarassment.

Looks like he ruined my day. And I didn't like it.