Hero.

Two

Ophelia Andrews felt her world shift. With her shut tight eyes and her pale fists clenched, Ophelia felt the moving come to a stop and felt a hard, safe floor appear under her feet. Slowly, the fifteen year old opened her eyes exposing her dark orbs to the bright lights in the room.

Books in every size and shape filled her view. The cramped store was as busy as usual. People were everywhere; adults to children ran around the store checking the many shelves for various items. Workers were briskly moving through the store helping the many customers squashed in the store.

Needless to say, Flourish and Blotts was one of Ophelia’s favorite stores in Diagon Alley. She loved literature, especially the Renaissance and Victorian eras. With a soft smile, Ophelia began to drag her trunk out of the store and on to the street.

Diagon Alley was just as the young girl remembered it. An abundance of people littered the street. It was a very lively place though Ophelia could feel a slight tension in the air. With everyday the Dark Lord seemed to be getting more powerful.

Letting out a sigh, Ophelia made her way to the dark building that would become her shelter for the night. Walking into the pub, her eyes began to search for the older gentleman. “Tom,” she called out, moving over to where the man was standing.

The barman’s light blue eyes shot over to the teenager. “Ah, young Ophelia,” he muttered under his breath before setting down the glass he had been cleaning. “How can I help you?” Tom asked sending her a sweet smile.

“One room for the night, please,” she told him, digging out five sickles from her pocket. “Here,” Ophelia said handing him the silver coins. Tom quickly took the money before handing her an old, rusting key.

“Room Five,”

Fifteen minutes later, Ophelia was walking down Diagon Alley with her wand safe in the left front pocket of her jeans and a packet of cigs in her right butt pocket. A soft hum left her lips as she finally made it to her destination. Ophelia quickly moved into the large, extravagant building holding a lace clutch full of silver coins.

“How can I help you?” A mean-looking goblin asked her as she approached the counter.

“I am here to exchange my muggle money for Wizarding currency.” Her voice was clear breaking the silence of the quiet bank. She poured out the 300 pounds that she had worked so hard for all summer long, the other half was stored away in a bank back home.

“Very well,”

Walking back outside, Ophelia breathed in the fresh air. A slight smile formed from Ophelia’s pale lips as she laid eyes on the familiar body. “Rosey!” The call caused Ophelia’s smile to grow. Next thing the brunette knew a petite body launched into her arms, making her stumble back. Ophelia looked down at the girl holding her close.

Juliet Elizabeth Winters was a 5’ 2” witch in her fifth year of Hogwarts schooling and belonged to the Gryffindor house. She had been friends with Ophelia since they met on the train first year. Coming from a distinguished pureblood family, Juliet was the opposite of Ophelia who had barely any one to call family. But, the two somehow had managed to find a common ground the last few years. Juliet soon became the only lifeline Ophelia had.

“Hey Jules,” Ophelia said with a chuckle before she wrapped her arms around her best friend. After a few seconds, the two girls let go of each other. Juliet immediately began to fix her old fashioned sweater. The floral pattern made Ophelia think that it belonged to a grandmother.

“So, Rosey how was your summer?” Juliet asked using Ophelia’s childhood nickname. Their arms were entwined as they started on their journey through Diagon Alley. Seconds passed and Juliet looked over her shoulder at the brunette who had yet to respond to her. She noticed a darker aurora radiate off Ophelia; her eyes had become harsh and unreadable. Worry flooded Juliet’s body.

“Okay,”

Deciding to leave the topic, Juliet moved on to their shopping trip. “Let’s go to Flourish and Blotts first.” She told Ophelia dragging her into the familiar shop. Chuckling, Ophelia pulled out the folded parchment that held the book list for the new school year.

“The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 5) by Miranda Goshawk,” Ophelia read out load as Juliet began to search the shelves. After a few minutes, they located the thick, black book. Twenty minutes later, the two both had the complete list of books in their hands. The two left the book store and moved on to the next one on their list.

Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions was a very elegant store. With various robes lined in the glass window, the store was very charming. After they entered, Madam Malkin greeted the two friends. The 40 year old woman took no time at all before starting to measure Ophelia. “You excited Rosey? You’re first set of actual robes!”

Ophelia smiled, thinking back to the holey cotton robe, which once belonged to her father, sitting in her trunk. The thought of her lifeless father cause a sharp pain in her stomach. Around her, Juliet was chatting with Madam Malkin while the older lady worked on measuring her.

Ophelia looked into the mirror against the wall. Instead of seeing her familiar brown eyes, she saw his eyes. Ophelia saw the eyes that once looked at her with love.

“Ophelia,” Juliet called, breaking the brunette out of her trance. Ophelia jumped slightly and looked over to her best friend. Her brown eyes shot back and forth as she tried to compose herself.

“What?” She asked; her eyes held confusion as she studied her surroundings.

“Ready to go?” The phrase caused Ophelia to snap back into reality and realize where she was. Shaking her head, the teenager got of the pedestal and went over to the counter to where Madam Malkin was standing.

“One gallon and five sickles,” Madam Malkin read the receipt looking at Ophelia. Nodding, Ophelia opened up the lace clutch and pulled out the coins.

“I’ll pick them up tomorrow,” She muttered quickly before walking out of the store, ignoring the worried looks that were following her. Shaking, Ophelia grabbed a cancer stick from the pack hidden in her back pocket. She quickly lit up the cig and took a deep drag.

Juliet soon came out of the store her eyes franticly searching for her best friend through the crowd of people. Catching up, she grabbed Ophelia’s forearm. “Come on,” she muttered leading her towards Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour. “I’m hungry.” Juliet explained as they entered the shop after Ophelia discarded the cigarette.

One reason that Ophelia loved Juliet is the way she handled situations. Whenever she noticed a shift in mood from Ophelia, she didn’t bother questioning the brunette. Juliet just let her be.

With stomachs full of ice cream, the pair finished their shopping by getting new quill sets and picked up Juliet’s new broom. Finishing off their day, they sat in the Leaky Cauldron chatting about the new school year. “Are you excited Rosey?” Juliet asked in between bits of her salad.

Ophelia looked up from her soup to see Juliet’s smiling face. “A bit,” she responded thinking about the castle that she had grown to love. Juliet only nodded in response before looking down at the watch on her wrist.

“My mum will be here soon,” she muttered brushing her bangs out of her face. True to her daughter’s words, April Winters walked in to the pub. Her bright green eyes searched the room for Juliet. “Mom,” she called out to the brunette. Just like her daughter, April was petite and 5’ 4”.

“Oh, hello girls,” she said in a cheery voice approaching their table.

“Hello Mrs. Winters,” Ophelia said in a respectful voice. She always liked Juliet’s mom which was understandable because April and Juliet were so alike in personality.

“I assume you got all your things?” She asked sitting down in the empty chair and looking towards all the bags at the table. The two friends nodded at the older woman and went back to their food. “I honestly don’t understand why you two get your things so last minute.”

Chuckling, the two exchanged glances and looked over to Mrs. Winters. “Tradition,” they said in unison causing April to roll her eyes.