Endlessly, He Said

o n e

My heart thumped loudly in my chest as fright prickled over pore on my body. It was he who asked me to meet him here, and I know that rejecting him would only cause more problems than doing as he says. All of this is my own fault, and I admit to this. In truth, he has no hold over me any longer. Mum had left him long before; even a year before we moved to America. Now, four years later, I still seem to be living in fright of all the horrid things he can, and will, do to me. I know I should just speak of it all to someone, but with his connections everything will be pushed under the rug. He will forever be free to do as he wishes because unlike him, I hold no money, no power; nothing of any importance. I am truly nothing save for the toy he sees me as.

Forcing in a deep breath only to exhale slowly, I pull the door open for the small shop, noticing right away how much shorter I am than everyone inside. With a quick tug to my sleeves, yanking them farther down to cover the majority of my hands, I scan my eyes over the area as a way to double check that he isn't already seated inside. Making him wait will only cause more problems. I ignore the looks of the girl behind the counter, I walk over, gently placing myself in a seat in the back corner of the café—giving me an open view of the room. My eyes watch the door, waiting for him to enter; waiting for him to, once again, ruin the 'ok' day I had going for me.

I readjusted my hair, making sure it fell over my eyes, hiding their swampy colour for the world surrounding. One thing he never failed to make remarks about deals around the colouring of my eyes. All of the horrible things he says dealing around everything about me, but my eyes are my biggest fault to him. He over looks my sexuality, my height, my weight, my dress, my ignorance... But my eyes, he cannot stand their swampy-green colour. He would rather I hide them behind a wall of hair, never once seeing the fear he bestows upon me as long as he does not once have to see their muck-like colour.

“Can I get something for you, Sir?” a sugary sweet voice asks from beside me, causing my body to jump slightly with fright. Pulling myself away from my thoughts and dragging my eyes away from the door, I look up at the girl beside me with a smile. She cannot know of the troubles I feel, I think to myself, moving my head in just a way to hide my face more behind my onyx locks.

“Thank you kindly, but no. I am waiting of someone.” She giggled softly at my words causing me to flinch slightly, not wanting this female to flirt with me. Not only am I not interested, but he does not approve of anyone showing an interest in me.

“I don't mean to be rude, but where are you from?” she asks, batting her lashes at me in a flirtatious way. I cringe in slight disgust, more so wishing to just ignore the female before me, but as that would be rude, I treat her kindly, answering her question.

“What of do you mean?” He giggle makes its way to my ears once again, slightly louder this time all the while her eyes sparkle with a certain want. I want nothing more than to allow a sigh to slip past, but I know more than I let on how the sting of rejection truly feels—especially when you learn the person you're longing for 'swings' a whole other way.

“Your accent...” she trails off with a nervous giggle. I can tell I have embarrassed her, and I feel a slight sense of negativity for causing her such.

“Oh,” I nibble my lip, darting my eyes back to the door to make sure he isn't on his way in. “Um, I am of Wales—in the UK.” The door opens, a bell chiming from just above the frame as a signal that someone had entered. I turn my attention back to the door, a quiet gasp passing my lips at the creature who stepped into the small room. Other than the obvious fact that his height is greater than an average males, there seems to be nothing outrageously special about his looks. There is nothing to really cause him to stand out against a crowd, yet somehow my eyes are drawn to him as though he is the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen. Correction, he is the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen.

His eyes turn to my direction causing my cheeks to catch fire. I hide my face behind my hair, turning so he is out of my view, completely embarrassed that I had been staring at this mysterious boy. The girl beside me giggles before trotting off to speak with said boy, and I know; I just know that she somehow knows of my attraction toward the beautiful creature.

“Safiad!” his voice booms from across the room. I gasp, rising to my feet quickly to greet him, mumbling my apologies to him in our native tongue all the while fear drips off my person into some disgusting puddle on the floor. I spare a glance over to the boy who had caught my attention, embarrassed to find him staring back at me. I bite my lip as I look away, my cheeks flushed once more before his hand makes contact with the table. I jump before he scolds me for not paying attention. Once again, my force apologies are spewing from my lips in meaningless mumbles all the while my mind is flashing me images of beauty in Human form.