Endlessly, He Said

n i n e

Resting my head against my pillow, I pull my knees to my chest as the tears continue to stream down my cheeks. Quiet sobs escape pass my lips all while confusion makes its way to the front of my mind. Their faces conflicting, the images battling over who get shown. Back and forth, from one to the other almost as though an actual battle between the two are happening. Why would he help me? I ask myself, trying to understand his logic. He knows not any of me, yet he helps me. Pulling my knees closer, I whimper out, “I deserve this.”

A few moments later a soft knock sounds from my bedroom door before it's slowly pulled open. Preston smiles sadly at me, carefully making his way over to me before gently placing himself on my bed next to me. “What happened?” he whispers, his words so quiet it's as if they never existed. Tears next stop cascading down my cheeks, leaving a brilliant red path in their wake. Cautiously Preston wraps his arms around me, careful not to do my body any more harm before gently stroking the skin of my arm in a calming manner. He and I both know I'll never speak of the things done to me, and he and I both know I know I deserve it.

.
“I long for cliché nightmares,” I say to Preston as we walk down the street. My voice cracks slightly from lack of use mixed with strain from all the crying that had taken place last night. At the memory, a light blush coats my cheeks and images of Alex take place in the front of my mind. He were so gentle and caring toward a complete stranger..

“I can understand that, but I'd rather live with no nightmares,” Preston responds. I nod my head, understanding exactly how he feels.

“Pleasant dreams would not be as special, though.” I giggle quietly at the face Preston pulls before wrapping my arms around his torso in a hug. “Diolch.”

“No problem, kiddo.” I grin up at him, following him as he turns into a building, holding the door open for me. I look around, instantly realising where we are. My mind starts to go into hystarics, everything blurring for a moment before I remind myself that he isn't here. I'm not being rightfully harmed at the moment. It is just time out with Preston.

“W-what reason are we h-here?” Preston looks over at me, frowning at the stutter and fear in my eyes.

“He's not going to hurt you,” he whispers to me before grabbing my hand, leading me to the front counter. The girl from before, the one who spoke to me with the sugar-coated voice eyed our locked hands. She then turned her attention to Preston, but before she had time to utter a word Preston spoke, asking, “Is that Alex kid working?” My teeth take my bottom lip hostage, gnawing away at the already raw flesh all while a million and a half scenarios play out in my mind. All which are seen as negative.

“Have a seat, I'll go get him.” Preston mutters a 'thank you' before dragging me off to a dark corner of the room. I sit on the chair next to Preston with my legs pulling to my chest, my arms draped loosely around them, and my chin resting on my knees. Preston sits normal, but locks his arm around my shoulder in comfort—his way of saying 'everything will be okay.'

It doesn't take long for Alex to enter from the back room with a worried, confused look upon his face. With my teeth still holding my lip between them I smile at the site of him, looking to Preston to gauge his reaction. Preston is stone-faced, giving way no room to guess his intentions or thoughts which only makes me worry more. Please don't yell at him, I plead inside my mind, hoping somehow Preston will receive my thoughts telegraphically.

Alex takes a seat across from us and I lean away from Preston slightly. Preston notices right away and pulls me back to him, looking down at me in a means of saying, 'I'm not letting up.' Alex looks between us, something unknown flashing in his eyes before he turns to Preston. The two speak to one another for a great while, the only parts of the conversation I pay any mind to being were Preston thanks Alex for bringing me home yesterday. Instead of listening to them, I allow my mind to make up fantasies about the boy in front of me all while a small smile plays across my lips.