Status: Active

Escapist

Chapter 5: What a Curious Puzzle You Are

“What would you suggest I do then?” Ravyn asked.

His light blue eyes met her darker ones. “Well you could pack up and move farther north. I’d say anywhere above the capital. Or…” Tuomas paused.

“Or?”

“Or you can help us fight and protect your home and country once more,” he said slightly hopeful.

“That means going back into society and killing again,” she argued.

“You are one of the best fighters the kingdom has ever seen. We could really use you,” he said taking a sip of his tea. They’d moved into the living room after breakfast.

“Yes use me. The same why I was USED last time,” she said with a slight bitter note as she looked at her cup.

“That’s not what I meant.”

“I know. But that’s what would happen. I do not wish to be a puppet for the king again.”

“If you were part of my company you would not have to worry about that,” he countered.

“Really?” she said hesitantly.

“Yes. We have a great deal more freedom than someone in your old position would. Also because we are not foot soldiers we don’t aren’t called to many battles,” he paused studying her. “I realize I’ve only just met you but I do not think that fleeing from a fight is your natural reaction.”

She sighed. “You’re right, it’s not. But I still don’t fancy going back.”

“If it helps, I always try to think of the good things that happen because of what I’m doing. Whose lives shall be spared. If you were to help us defeat Gar how many lives will be saved from its pillaging hoards?” he persisted.

Ravyn paused again. “I shall think on it,” she finally said. “For now we have work to do.”

“I knew there was a decent human being in there somewhere,” Tuomas laughed lightly as they stood up.

“Oh yes? And how do you know it’s not my father’s side of the family coming out and missing a good fight?” she laughed back.

“Mmmmmmm call it an educated guess,” he smiled down at her.

She gave him a suspicious look as they put on their jackets. “Are you trying to figure me out Mr. Tuomas?” she asked.

“Maybe. You are a very interesting woman and I like interesting people. They’re…interesting,” he replied still smiling.

“Well I wish you good luck with that,” she laughed.

“You doubt me?”

“Let’s just say no one’s figured me out yet and it’s unlikely anyone will,” she smiled sweetly to him.

He laughed. “Of the first part I have no doubt.”

They walked outside. The biting winter breeze stung her exposed face.

“So I assume you shall be putting me to work. What would you have me do first, oh Lady of the Wilds?” he asked grinning.

‘Well you can clear the snow away from the steps,” Ravyn said handing him a shovel. “Afterwards you can bring in some of the wood I will be splitting. The rest can go under the house, if you please,” she explained as she showed him the spot to stack the wood.

He gave her a confused look.

“Yes I realize it is completely contradictory. While I have a big, strong man here I should be letting you do such things. But I cannot. As crazy as it may sound it’s a sacred enjoyment that has history behind,” she said cryptically. A wicked, mischievous smile filled her face as she looked at him. “There, a new piece for your puzzle.”

Tuomas had an interesting look. “What a curious puzzle you are”.

She just smirked at him and started to walk away.

“Are you sure?” he asked making her pause.

“Yes. Thank you,” she said with a true smile.

His genuine kindness struck her. It had been some time since anyone had ever shown her anything but fear and mistrust. It was very refreshing.

Ravyn walked over to where her chopping block and ax sat amongst a group of logs that she had to slip. She dusted the snow off and set the first log on the block. It was twice as big around as her. She lifted her ax above her head and cleaved it in half in one stroke. The cedar wood gave off a pleasant smell.

“ Perrrrrrrrrrrkele!“ she heard Tuomas yell as she was just about to slice one of the halves.

She dropped her ax and ran around the house to find him holding the top of his head.

“What happened?” she asked.

“The wood was stacked oddly under the house and when I went to add to it everything came tumbling down on my head,” he answered scrunching up his face as he rubbed the top of his head.

Ravyn laughed. “So what was that you said, by the way?”

“Perkele? It means damn it in my native language,” he chuckled.

She got down on her hands and knees to fix her messy system so it wouldn’t fall on his head again. Cocking her head to the side she noticed Tuomas staring at her backside.

Men!, she thought to herself.

“If you value your manhood you will admire from a far,” she said dangerously, still under the house. He hadn’t noticed that she’d seen him so the surprised look on his face was very amusing.

This made him clear his throat and look down awkwardly. “Sorry,” he mumbled.

Ravyn just laughed. “I meant it but said that as more of a joke, you know,” she said standing back up and dusting off her palms.

“Oh,” he chuckled awkwardly.

“We’re not in the king’s court, Tuomas. You can drop the formality. I realize you’re a male and you have thoughts and feelings. Feel free to crack jokes. They don’t bother me; in fact I come up with many myself. I just usually don’t have anyone to tell them to,” she informed him with a smirk. “Unless that bothers you too much.”

“It’s fine,” he laughed lightly.

“Good. So loosen up,” she winked and slugged him in the shoulder before walking back to her job.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay another chapter. Thanks to TheHereticPrincess and Love You to Death. for the comments!