Status: In Progress

Find a Way To Be Alive

four.

"Am I hearing... What is it... But me and Cinderella," John sang, "We can put it all together- Am I hearing The Wallflowers Miss Collins?"

"You are correct," June confirmed.

"Jesus, I miss you, Doll."

"I miss you."

"How was school today?" John asked. June and John had talked everyday, for the majority of the day, since she had been back home. If they weren't on the phone they were texting. There was one night he even pulled out his cell during a concert. He didn't dare try it again though, because June had given him an ear full for being "so fucking rude."

"Fine. Art school is always fine. Until critique. But it isn't quite that time yet."

"What are you working on?"

"It's a concept assignment. You get something vague and make it as specific or not as you want. My assignment is happiness."

"That's pretty easy."

"I know, I'm so annoyed. I want to make it better somehow, like pure happiness, or happiness at the expense of others."

"Why don't you? Ya know, make it specifically one version of the feeling happy."

"I don't see why I couldn't... Do you think I should?"

"Yes."

June laughed, "Alright John."

"You should... Well I'm not being pushy, you should maybe consider coming to another one of our dates."

June smiled to herself, "I would like to."

"You should probably bring Anna too. Pat talks to her... about her a lot."

June smiled, "She does too. Okay. where are your next few shows, not including tonight or tomorrow?"

"Ugh, Dallas, Houston, Nashville-"

"Ooh, we'll come to Nashville."

"You know Dallas or Houston would be so much closer to you, right?"

"Yeah. I don't care though. I love Nashville. Please!"

"Doll, you don't have to say please. You come whenever the hell you want, I'd have you here right now if I had it my way."

"What if I came right now?"

"What?"

June grinned, getting off her bed and kicking blankets off of her body. "What if I get in my car and drive to wherever you are right now?"

"June..."

"Do you not want me to?"

"I do, but what about school? Or driving this late?"

"I don't give a fuck. Let me meet you in Portland. Come on, John."

"If you can get Anna to drive with you alright. I just don't want you on the road alo-"

"Blah, blah. I'll call you back in ten."

June ended John's call and ran into Anna's bedroom. She jumped down onto Anna's bed.

"You're up late."

"I was talking to John."

Anna laughed, "I figured. I'm skyp-"

"Wanna drive to Portland with me? Right now?"

"What?"

"Come with me to Portland. That's where the band will be playing tomorrow night. I want to see John. I need to see John, God Anna. He is all I can think about."

"Ugh, do you need to go?"

"Who is that? Pat! Please don't say anything!"

"He doesn't have to Baby Doll," John's voice came from the computer screen. "Don't be embarrassed, you're all I think about it."

Anna exited out of Skype without saying anything else. "Are you serious? You are so into this guy! What about class?"

"I don't know... I just feel like I have to see him An, I don't know why. It's weird."

"Let's get in the car then."

As June drove for the first few hours, she reflected on how much she appreciated her best friend. Anna was always willing to support her without question no matter what. The girls had been friends since childhood, their own parents were friends because their Mother's grew up best friends. June decided she was going to make an effort to support Anna more when she had her crazy ideas, she owed her that.

*******

"June!"

John grinned and caught the brunette in his arms. He was waiting, with Pat, outside the Holiday Inn the guys were staying at. John inhaled deeply, taking in her scent.

"Damn girl," John muttered. He sat June down and held her hand. "It's nice to see you, Anna."

"You too," Anna replied with a smile.

"I'm so happy you're here," John said, leading June to his room. "Do you want to share a room with me?"

"Obviously. You're the main reason I'm here."

"Here we are then. Wanna cuddle?"

"Mhmm!"

John grinned and turned off the lights in the hotel room. He kicked off his pants and shirt and climbed into bed beside June. June moulded her body into his and sighed.

"When I'm with you I feel like I'm right at home," John muttered softly after several minutes.

The two were asleep shortly after.