Status: in process

She's My Best Friend

3

Charlotte sat at her desk nervously tapping her foot as she stared at the beautiful bouquet of daises beside her. It was Friday afternoon, and the clock seemed to be ticking away faster than normal. Adam was going to pick her up from work today, and was planning on trapping her up for an entire weekend. She had no idea how she had gotten into this mess. It wasn’t that she disliked Adam, he was attractive an all. She wouldn’t blatantly deny that. But he was her best friend. Things like this never worked out except in the movies. No, in real life people only got hurt. It didn’t help that the man in question couldn’t keep it in his pants if you paid him. That opened a whole new can of worms. What if all this was just to get in her pants? Was that all this was? She was his next conquest. That thought hurt the most, so she tried her hardest to push it aside. Adam was a good guy, he wouldn’t do that to her. Would he?

“Hey Charlie, great job on the project this week. Why don’t you head out early today.” Paul, her boss, said from the doorway of her office startling her from her thoughts.

“Oh I’m fine, I really should finish up these reports before I leave any...”
“They can wait until Monday, Charlie.” Paul interrupted her. Just as she was about to say she was getting picked up anyway, and her ride wasn’t here she got a text from Adam saying he got there early just to be on the safe side. She groaned inwardly to herself, there goes her plans on working a crazy amount of overtime in hopes Adam would just leave. She slowly packed up her things, and let Adam know she would be down in a minute. On her way out she ran into the secretary, Sandra.

“My dear, you don’t look so pleased to be leaving for the weekend. Is something wrong.” The old gray women behind the desk asked motherly.

“Oh it’s nothing really, Sandra just nervous about a date tonight I guess”, Charlotte laughed to herself how weird it sounded to consider what was about to happen a date.

“Oh sweetheart, there is no reason to be nervous just try to have a good time even if the guy is a dud. He’s taking you out isn’t he, he must have some sense. The date can’t be so bad.” Sandra replied getting the wrong implication, but none the less made Charlotte laugh.

“Alright, you’re probably right. I’ll see you Monday. You have a great weekend, too.” Charlotte said before she stopped putting off the inevitable and walked out to the parking lot. Adam saw her leave the building, and went to open her car door for her. Charlotte started to laugh, “Really, Adam. What is this the eighteen hundreds?”

“Oh you haven’t seen anything get Miss Roosevelt” Adam replied with a chuckle. He wasn’t kidding either. He had planned an over the top romantic evening for the two of them, and he wasn’t planning on cutting any corners. He drove them to Charlotte’s apartment, and led them upstairs.

“So what’s your plan Adam. What are we doing tonight?” Charlotte inquired.

“Its a surprise, don’t worry about anything just go get ready” Adam directed her.

“How do I get ready if I don’t know where we are going?”

“I already picked out what your wearing, it’s in your room.” Adam said as he directed her down the hall causing Charlotte to laugh. “Reservations at 7 so take your time.” With that Adam walked back to the living room and flipped on the TV.

Charlotte walked into her room, and a huge smile spread across her face. There were a couple dozens of roses littering her nightstands and dressers all across her room. She saw one of her dresses laying across her bed. It was one she could remember Adam complementing in the past. She sighed, and walked into the bathroom to shower. When she opened the door she was greeted by a warm bath and scented candles. She had to admit Adam seemed to be pulling out all the stops. Sandra was probably right this night couldn’t go so bad.

As Charlotte was getting ready, Adam had gotten dressed in a suit and had sat back down to watch some more TV. He had made sure he wore the suit he knew Charlotte liked along with the cologne she said she loved. He never stopped wearing it after she had said that. He planned on doing everything right even down to the smallest detail. He looked up from the TV just as he heard Charlotte’s bedroom door open.

Adam’s jaw dropped “You look beautiful Charlie.” Her hair was curled softly and pinned back with a silver barrette. She had on deep purple heels on that matched the dress perfectly, along with an award winning smile.

“I would say thanks, but you pretty much picked it out” Charlotte giggled. Adam walked towards her with a smile.

“There is only one thing missing” Adam pulled a long black box from his jacket.

Charlotte gasped as she saw the beautiful silver necklace in the box. “Adam, its gorgeous. But, you shouldn’t have gotten me anything. Adam this is really to much.”

“It isn’t, and I wanted to get you something nice.” He walked behind her to clasp the necklace around her neck. The light touch of Adam’s fingers along the nape of her neck made goosebumps run up Charlotte’s spine. For some reason she felt a bit breathless and dazed. “Ready to go?” Adam asked extending his arm for Charlotte. “Ya, lets go.”

Adam drove them to a small restaurant, were they were seated with a great view of both the skyline and Lake Michigan. Once their orders were taken Adam requested a bottle of red wine for the two of them. They quickly fell back into their normal banter for the rest of the meal.
After they finished, Adam suggested they take a walk along the boardwalk. Their hands found each others as they took into the beautiful night. “You look really handsome tonight Adam, and I’ve had a really good time.”

“Wait a minute, wait a minute I think I need a recording of that. Did Charlie Roosevelt just say she had a good time, after the fuss you through about us.” Adam joked.

“Ha ha, Adam very funny. But really, what was all of this. It wasn’t really the date I would expect you to plan.”

“Well, I figured you deserved at least one over the top night. I wanted to do this with you. I had a fun time. It’s all part of the plan anyway.” Adam said cryptically.

“Mmmhm, really and what might that be.” Charlotte asked with curiosity.

“Well, tonight was all romantic and mushy and crap,” Charlotte laughed at his choice of words, “and tomorrow were going spend the day doing couple-y stuff.”

Charlotte just smiled and shook her head, “and Sunday?”

“Well, I thought we would just spend Sunday together, and hang out how we always do. Ya know, so you could have an overview of what this sexy stud could offer you in a relationship in the course of one weekend, so you could rethink your feelings about me.” Adam finished with a wink.

“And, what if I don’t change my decision.” Charlotte teased.

“Oh you will, Charlie. We both know you won’t be able to resist this fine piece of ass forever.” Adam countered throwing Charlotte into a fit of giggles.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like it.
Any comments are helpful :)