Status: Back Up Copy. Story can be found on Wattpad.com

Believe In Me

Chapter 3: What's Done is Done

Believe In Me © 2011 by SheaRyhai

Chapter 3: What’s Done is Done

“It can’t be done,” Ms. Deborah Flintwich barked with a great deal of annoyance at Chase and Theo. “You give me a nobody and expect me to turn them into another Mariah? And how am I to do that? She’s had no training, no classes, the only audition you know of she failed to get past the first round. How exactly am I to convince people to invest into her? Really, gentlemen.”

Chase sighed and chewed his lip slightly, while Theo moved forward with one of his charming smiles.

“My dear Flintwich. Chase and I are recommending her to you, isn’t that enough?” Ms. Flintwich looked far from satisfied, so he tried another approach. “We can certainly arrange for her to enter a few more auditions, if you wish.”

“Oh please, with you backing her of course she’d win a few, I’ve no doubt of that,” Ms. Flintwich scoffed snapping her daily-planner shut. “Problem is everyone will be wondering if she really has talent, or if she’s just another fancy of yours. There’s an awful lot of rumors going around still about your investment in Mariah, not that it turned out very good for you in the end.”

“Damn it, woman!” Chase growled from his seat. “What is it you want?”

The glower on Ms. Flintwich’s face brightened immediately, reminding Theo who he was dealing with. Chase had been telling him for years this woman always found a way to get what she wants. Don’t they all…

“You only get nasty when you want something. So just tell us already,” Chase muttered darkly, tapping his black finger nails on the arm of his chair.

“We do work admirably when we come to a mutually agreeable arrangement, I find,” Ms. Flintwich smiled graciously at them both. “So let’s settle the terms than shall we. I will give your little Miss Nobody all the advantages she needs to get started in this business, I will even find her a good investor; but you Mr. Chase, must agree to write the lyrics for DarkWish’s new hit single, as well as providing a song for Miss. Collins.” Chase practically shriveled away in his seat, pinching the skin between his brows with a strained sigh. “And you, Mr. Alexander- Theodore, will write up a script for your singer’s future music video; and use your very fine connections in the movie business to get her a part in a movie that will appeal to the age group her music will be targeted towards.”

“I don’t really know if she can act-” Theo spoke up hesitantly.

“Nonsense, if they can sing in front of a crowd, they can act. At least well enough to take a side bit and get their face out there. Goodness knows she can’t be worse then some others- who’s name I will not mention,” Ms. Flintwich heaved a weary sigh before standing. Beaming a confident smile to each cousin in turn she nodded her head towards the door. “I’ll give you boys an hour to think it over, in the mean time I’ll draw up the terms of our little agreement. Be back here in an hour to sign, or find someone else to sponsor your girl.”

“Like a lion she is.” Chase whistled under his breath as they walked into the small desert restaurant. “But she means what she says, if anyone can get your little angle up to Mariah’s level quickly, it’s Flintwich.”

“If Miss Collins does well, your manager be the one to receive all the credit and financial ramifications. While we what, enslave ourselves to her whim?” Theo protested, taking a seat at the quaint little table.

“Consider it logically, Cuz. You already asked me to write a song for her, Fintwich has been after me to scribble up something for that teen girl band for weeks. You do a little something for her music video, maybe find her a part or two, and your girl is all set. Everyone get’s what they want.”

“Yes, but she’s only giving us an hour to make up our mind. We don’t even know if 343 is willing to jump into the music business.” Theo anxiously ran his fingers through his already messy short hair.

“Worst comes to worse, she’ll back out. I’ll be stuck writing a song for DarkWish, and you’ll be back to moping about Mariah.” Chase punched his cousin’s arm playfully. “Seriously now, what girl would turn down this kind of opportunity. I say we head back up, sign those papers, and break the news to your new rising star.”

Max dropped off her book bag by the study room. Inside three desks were perfectly proportioned into three separate personal study areas for her Mother, Father, and Max herself.. It was her parents way of encouraging their daughter to consider her studies a step towards excelling at work some day.

The study room and kitchen were empty, which meant Mr. and Mrs. Collins were probably working late as usual. Sarah, her aunt, would probably drop in with dinner later. The unemployed 30 year old worked as the family cook while she lived in the guest room next to Max’s. During the day though she was away almost constantly, talking to friends, artists, and shopping clearance items with what little money she had in her dwindling bank account.

Sarah was a struggling painter. And Max’s mother enjoyed using her as an example of what silly wishes like “singing, writing, and drawing for a living” could get people.

Henry, Mr. Collins’ German shepherd, scampered down the stairs and bounded eagerly to greet her.

“Hey there boy, need some fresh air?” Max asked, pulling his leash from the coat hanger. Henry jumped eagerly in place, only remaining still so she could attach the hook, then dragged her quickly to the door.

Back outside again, Max allowed the dog to pull her around at whim down the sidewalk of their neighborhood. The friendly German shepherd paused to greet each neighbor’s dog with a friendly sniff or wag of his tail before moving on determinedly. His ear’s pricked up as a flashy sports car drove past them, going a little above the rural speed limit as it cruised past. Something clattered onto the road behind the car, and Max turned to identify the Jolt can with an impatient sigh.

“Lazy rich bastard,” she picked the can up, tucking it in her jacket pocket until Henry reached the corner of the block where a medium trash can was tied to a telephone pole. Tossing in the discarded garbage, Max clicked her tongue, and pulled the leash gently so Henry knew it was time to head back. “Got to at least look like I’m studying when they come home,” she reminded him, shivering as an autumn breeze blew down the collar of her jacket.

Aunt Sarah was just getting back too, no doubt wanting to appear as if she’d been tidying the house all day. She waved to Max from the other side of the street and hurriedly crossed over.

“They’re aren’t home yet,” Max assured her, smiling as Aunt Sarah paused to give Henry a loving smooch on the forehead.

“I swear that dog is far more handsome than most men you meet,” Sarah sniffed, linking arms with Max as they marched onwards.

“A lot smarter than most too,” Max agreed with a grin. “How is Paul these days?”

“Blissfully happy as a single dejected man I suppose.” Sarah commented, pushing her sunglasses up her nose with a tight smile. Max winced, remembering her mother’s brief comments a few days ago about Sarah’s newest failed romance.

“I’m sorry Auntie,” Max whispered, resting her head against Sarah’s shoulder briefly for comfort.

“The way of the world dear. An artist must appreciate moments of happiness as much as those of depression, emotion is our bread and butter. That being said the whole species of men are good for nothing- Oh my god, Angels!”

“Wha-” Max half choked with laughter before noticing the sports car in their drive way, and the two rather gorgeous looking men standing in front of her house.

Aunt Sarah stood rooted in place as she slowly removed her eyeglasses, eyeing up the two strangers with an almost audible purr of appreciation.

“Umm, can-” Max began, only to have her arm jerked rather painfully by Sarah.

“Please, dear. I don’t care if their sales man or the IRS, just let me enjoy them,” Sarah whispered dreamily. The taller and older man, who appeared to be college age if not older, was peering through the window of the front door, pressing the door bell repeatedly. The younger companion was talking quietly on his cell phone, peering round the side of the house.

Henry took the presence of these two stranger in his territory as a threat and bellowed loudly enough to cause Sarah to drop her sunglasses, and both strangers back up cautiously against the house.

“Ah, hello,” Max called out, pulling on Henrys leash and hushing him quickly. “Sorry about that, he always barks at strangers.” Strange, but the tall one looked rather familiar…

“Max Collins,” he was walking towards her now with a charming smile. Henry growled, warning him to not get too close.

“Yes?” Max tilted her head, straining to remember.

“Nice jacket,” he added with a playful grin. Glancing down at the stealers jacket, Max felt her face turn red as she recalled.

“Oh! You!” Oh god…

“Thought that would do the trick, but I don’t think we exchanged names,” he held out a business card which she took numbly, frantically trying to remember what time it was and how long before her parents showed up. The card read Theodore Alexander and had a hand written phone number beneath it. “This is my cousin, Chase Alexander,” Theo explained.

“Pleasure to meet you Miss Collins,” the Goth boy who looked rather close to Max’s age offered a hand jeweled with silver rings, and black nail polish. Henry barked warily at the boy, who wisely decided to step back again.

“Ah- Hi” Max mumbled. “What are you doing here?”

“I’ve some good news to tell you. But ah, perhaps we could talk inside?” Theo asked with a faint twitch as Henry bellowed at them again.

“Oh of course,” Sarah beamed, walking past Max. “Any friend of Max is a friend of the family.” Linking arms with both men, she led them up the stairs to the front door.

No, no, no… Max unglued herself and followed after them quickly.

“Actually, this is a bad idea,” Max blurted out, blocking their way from the kitchen and living room. “You see-” Mind tripping over a slightly delayed connection, she turned to Chase and gaped. “Wait- You- You’re- The Chase Alexander!”

I’m dreaming, I must be freaking dreaming…

“I am indeed. My cousin, Teddy asked me to come here. He was rather impressed with your singing at the audition,” Chase answered with a relaxed smile.

He’s so much more serious and older looking in the magazines… Max gaped at him stupidly, for a few moments more before Sarah cleared her throat.

“I have some cookies and ice tea if you’d like to talk in the kitchen,” Sarah suggested, grabbing Max’s arm and pulling her towards the kitchen. “You went to an audition?” she hissed. Henry barked, circling around the house to avoid Chase and Henry, and settling himself down by the couch.

“Yes, yesterday- Please, please-” Max cringed already imaging her parents reaction.

“I won’t tell a soul, but dear, I’m so proud of you,” Sarah kissed her cheek and pushed her towards the kitchen table. “Sit yourselves down, I’ll get some refreshments.”

Theo and Chase both took a seat, glancing around the kitchen with only faint curiosity. Max stared at them blankly, confusion mulling through her frantic thoughts.

“I’m not sure I understand,” she began taking her seat across from them. “I failed the auditions. I didn’t make it through the first round.” The sting of that disappointment resurfaced with bitter freshness.

“I’ll let you in on a little secret,” Theo spoke up, reaching across the table to tap her chin up so her eyes faced his. “The entertainment business is a sham. Any audition going to be shown on live TV isn’t about finding real talent, its about making the show, the judges, and the producers look good.”

“Oh,” Max squinted at him, more confused. “But why are you here than?”

“To offer you a shot at becoming the singer you’ve always dreamed of being,” Theo answered with barely contained excitement.

“Wait- Me?” Max squeaked out, going numb from head to toe. “Me?”

“Chase’s very own personal manager has agreed to take you on, sponsor you, and help guide you. Chase and myself will help you compose a few songs, record, and promote your first CD and music video,” Theo added, sitting back with a boyish grin.

“You’re joking- I- All this because I sang one song?” Max shook her head.

“I understand if you’re feeling overwhelmed,” Chase spoke up, leaning towards her with a look of sincerer concern. “It will take a lot of work and focus, but if you’ve the natural talent for singing Theo says you have, all you need is the passion to take you as high as you can go.”

“I- Can’t.” Oh my god, was this really real? Max looked desperately past them to Sarah, who stood by the kitchen counter frozen with a look of absolute joy. Catching Max’s eyes, Sarah rushed over placing the plate of cookies between them.

“Max needs some time to think this over, and she does have high school to finish I’m sure you understand,” Sarah explained, adopting a motherly tone as she took Max’s hand in hers.

“Of course, it’s important that she finish school unhindered,” Theo nodded quickly. “Christmas break will be here in two short months, that’s when most of the work will begin. Or if you like, we can wait to start closer to summer. But you do need some coaching and personal practice to strengthen your voice, not to mention some acting classes as well.”

“Oh my!” Sarah’s hands tightened around Max’s.

“Acting?” Max repeated breathlessly.

“For your music video to start,” Theo nodded smiling sympathetically at her. “I realize this is a lot to take in. Perhaps you and your mother should think it over.” He stood, and Chase rose as well. “You have my number, think about it as long as you like.”

“We will indeed,” Sarah rose to shake their hands and guide them to the door. “Thank you so much gentlemen.”

Max sat frozen at the kitchen table, staring at the card in her hands, heart pounding away in her chest.

“She looked rather blown away by it,” Chase murmured thoughtfully, taking the wheel again.

“Anyone would be in her shoes,” Theo agreed, closing his door, eyes taking in the house and neighborhood with a thoughtful expression.

“Her mother seemed rather enthusiastic though,” Chase added, backing up and pulling out onto the road.

“If her mother wants her to do it then there’s nothing to worry about.” Theo tipped back his seat, slipped on his sunglasses, and allowed a smirk to spread across his lips.

“If her mother and you want her to do it, nothing can stop her,” Chase agreed with a chuckle. “No one’s a better motivator than you.”

“Did you notice though,” Theo pondered allowed.

“Hmm?” Chase paused at the stop sign, then pulled forward.

“No wedding ring,” Theo explained. “On the mother.”

“So there’s no father in the picture, sad but that’s less trouble for us to deal with,” Chase shrugged.

“Just reminds me- Never mind,” Theo rolled his head towards the window.

“Yes, Mariah was raised by a single mom too, but did you see that house. Ms. Collins must be doing something right to raise her daughter in such a nice neighborhood, and I checked with the school. Max Collins has straight A’s in all her classes.”

“Noisy, aren’t you,” Theo chuckled.

“We have to teach her how to sing from the ground up. If she’s going to compete with Mariah she better be smart,” Chase protested, turning off the GPS.

“I don’t even know what Mariah made in high school,” Theo confessed, turning back towards Chase.

“Oh, and what makes you think I know?” Chase scoffed.

“Because you know everything, Cousin,” Theo praised with a knowing smile. Chase sighed, and pushed Theo’s face towards the door.

“I’ll tell you if your promise not to let your grudge with Mariah get in the way of Miss Collins’ singing future,” Chase growled.

“Of course. Now tell me.”

“B’s and C’s”

“No-”

“Yes, but she had an A in theater.”

Theo’s smile cracked into a burst of laughter. Max Collins would be the perfect tool to show up that tramp. He couldn’t wait until Mariah was a thing of the past. Nothing would please him more than to see her forced to grovel at his feet.
♠ ♠ ♠
Italics and bold will be added later. This is a backup copy. Story can be found on wattpad.com