Status: For a contest.

Few Words Are True.

I shouldn't drive tonight, but I keep thinking of you

He sat slumped on his couch. He slowly tilted the bottle back as the warm liquid slid down his throat. He held his eyes half open in his drunken state staring at the picture of the two of them hanging on the wall. He slowly shook his head as he took another drink of the bitter liquid. He closed his eyes to only see her.

He had never in his life felt like he had messed up so bad. He felt completely empty without her.

”What does your mom think about you dating the girl you grew up next door to?” She asked giving him as smile that made him melt. “Well she thinks it’s great. You know how much she loves you.” He said opening her door as she crawled into his white truck. “That’s good because I would hate for her to hate me, because I’m pretty fond of you.” She said laughing as he crawled into the truck.

“So John O’Callaghan what’s the plan for today?” She asked giving him a smile that made him melt. “I was thinking that we should go out to lunch.” He said as he started up the truck. “That sounds perfect to me.”


She stood in front of the full length mirror trying to fix her messy hair. As she looked in the mirror all she really saw where her puffy green eyes. She hadn’t done much for the last three days but cry.

She walked out into the hallway as quietly as possible. She didn’t want to run into her roommate as she walked towards the kitchen. “How are you feeling?” She closed her eyes tight for a moment to turn around and find Garrett leaning against the wall. “Like shit.”

“You know he’s a dumb ass right?” Garrett asked as he walked towards her. “Yeah I know that.” She walked towards the kitchen as Garrett followed her. “Do you think he thinks she was worth it?” She asked as she poured herself a cup of coffee. “He doesn’t think she was worth it.”

“Why did he do it?” She asked as tears started running down her cheeks. “Am I not good enough?”

“He did it because he was drunk and stupid, and you are too good for him.” Garrett said as he pulled her into a hug.

They walked into party holding hands and walked straight towards the kitchen to get something to drink.

“So who’s the driver tonight?” Josey asked as they made there way into the kitchen.

“I really want to drink so you should be.” John said giving her a smile trying to convince her.

“You are aware I was the driver last time? Which means it’s my turn to drink.” She said grabbing the bottle of Jack off the counter.

“Since when do we use the turn system here?” He said grabbing the bottle from her hand playfully.

“Since it’s fair, and I want to drink.” She said reaching and grabbing the bottle back laughing a little at the game that it had become.

“I’m not going to win, am I?” He asked already knowing the answer.

“No you’re not sweetheart.” She said leaning up and pressing her lips to his cheek.


He stood up off the couch and took two wobbly steps forward. He knew he was in no shape to go anywhere, but he knew he needed to go see her. As he walked out front he knew he couldn’t drive, so there was only way to get to Josey and that was to walk.

After walking for about two minutes he realized how much he missed when they both used to live with there parents and lived next door to each other.

John felt his phone vibrate in his pocket. He fumbled trying to get his phone out before he missed the call. “Hello.” He slurred.

“John where the fuck are you?” Tim shouted into the phone.

“I’m on a walk.” He said stopping because he had found out that trying to walk and talk was too difficult.

“Why are you on a walk?”

“Because it was either I went for a drive or went for a walk. I figured me walking was the lesser of the two evils.” John said running his figures through his short hair.

“John you need to come back to the house before you do something stupid.” Tim pleaded.

“I can’t do anything worse then I’ve already done.”

”Josey I have something I need to tell you.” Garrett said walking into the living room where Josey was sitting on the couch watching TV.

“What do you need to tell me?” She asked nervous not sure what Garrett was going to say.

“I don’t know how to say this, but…”

“Garrett just says it you’re making me nervous.” She said crossing her legs.

“Josey John slept with some last night.” She felt completely numb and didn’t know what to say. She felt like she had just been slapped in the face.

“Are you one-hundred percent sure he cheated on me?”

“Yeah I am.”

“I need to talk to him.” She said standing up. “Okay.” Garrett said stepping out of the way as she rushed passed him.

She pulled up to his house and knocked on his door. She held her breath as she heard him walked towards the door. “Hey Josey what are you doing here?” John asked as he opened the door.

“Did you cheat on me?” She asked bluntly walking inside.

“What?” He was caught off completely off guard.

“Answer the question John.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Don’t fucking lie to me John. Did you sleep with someone else last night?” She asked trying to stay as calm as possible.

“Josey it just happened.” He said grabbing her hand. She pulled away from him as quickly as possible feeling like he had just ripped her heart out.

“How could you?” She asked as she started to cry.

Sure her and John had had fights before and he would flirt with girls at show, but he had never cheated on her. Just the thought of John touching someone else made her sick to her stomach. She felt like she needed to throw up.

“I was drunk.” He said defending himself as he stepped closer to her.

“I trusted you.” She said as she started to sob.

“It just happened.” Was all he could really say. He had no clue what to say to say to her.
“Really it just happened?” She said fighting to catch her breath.

“Yeah it did.” He said gnawing on his bottom lip.


She pulled open the door to see John standing on the other side. “What are you doing here?” She asked.

“I came to tell you what an asshole I am.” He slurred.

“You’re drunk.” She said walking towards the kitchen.

“I know.” He followed her into the kitchen.

“I came here to tell you that I’m sorry.” He slurred.

“You’re not sorry.” He said turning around and staring into his green eyes.

“Yeah. Josey I’m the world’s biggest asshole for cheating on you.”

“How am I supposed to ever trust you again?” She asked walking closer to him.

“I don’t know.”

“I don’t think you know how bad you hurt me.” She said running her fingers through her hair. “John when I found out you cheated on me it felt like you ripped my heart out.” She said as tears started streaming down her cheeks.

“I know and I’m sorry.” He said reaching to grab her hand. “Please take me back.” He pleaded lacing his finger with hers.

“How am I supposed to just take you back, when I can’t trust you and you hurt me?”

“I promise that I will never do anything to hurt you ever again.” He said swiping his thumb over her cheek and pushing away the tears.

“You can’t let me down again.” She said taking a deep breath. “I promised I won’t let you down again.”

“If you mess up again, we’re done for good.” She said leaning her head against his chest.

“Okay.” He said understanding he’s only getting one chance and he will do anything possible to stay with Josey.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love this song and I hope this works with it. Also italics wasn't working so I had to use bold for the past tense stuff sorry about that.