Status: writing

The Kids From Yesterday

Chapter Ten: Sorry You’re Not A Winner.

Summer was brutal in the desert. As soon as I stepped outside, I was covered in sweat. But living in the desert was a total mind fuck; because it would be hot as the sun one day, and then at night, it would be colder than Antarctica. The only happy mediums were sunset, and sunrise. And I wasn’t willing to wake up at 4 in the morning just to get some sort of heat relief. But whenever Daydream was looking for volunteers for patrols around sunset, mine and Zombie’s hands would be the first to shoot up.

The heat was hard on him too though. Daydream had him doing a lot of work, because she didn’t know about his epilepsy. But working out in the hot sun all day seemed to trigger the seizures more. So whenever he had to go work on something, Freedom or I usually went with him just in case. He said if he focused hard enough, he could prevent them. I guess he had a hard time focusing.

It turns out, the reason he didn’t want anyone to know was because he didn’t want people to judge him, or kick him out because they thought they’d have to take care of him. I tried telling him how ridiculous that sounded. I mean Skizzy was fucking schizophrenic and people still stuck around her. But Zombie would just shrug me off telling me that I didn’t understand. He was right, I didn’t, but I was at least trying to. Turns out, while Audrey was in labor, he went and told Daydream what we found at that camp, and she decided that unless they attacked first, we would attack them in a month. She had everyone in training so we’d be ready.

Squirt was growing so fast. In just a month, she had already gained five pounds. Audrey seemed less distant, but Mark was basically the only one who was taking care of her. While Mark was changing Squirt, or playing with her, or trying to calm her down after she had a bad day, Audrey would be on one of her walks.

I was walking around the warehouse looking for something to do that didn't include dying in the sun doing training exercises, but alas there was nothing. So I decided to find R.J. or Zombie. Instead I found Daydream.

“Fuck…” I groaned.

“Fuck is right! You’re supposed to be training! What are you doing in here?!” Daydream demanded.

“Well we’re running today, and I can’t run, it’s physically impossible for me to do so” I explained while slumping against a wall. Daydream rolled her eyes.

“Well if you didn’t smoke so much, you might be able to run more than five feet! Get up!” Daydream boomed while yanking me up. She then started dragging me behind her.

“This is abuse” I grumbled as I sulked down the hall behind her.

“Python, I’m stressed out enough as it is trying to organize over one hundred killjoys for this mission! I don’t need you and your friends skipping out because you think you’re better! You have to pull your own weight around here! I can’t hold your hand going into that battle field Python… You need to learn to fend for yourself…” Daydream sighed.

“But I can shoot!-” I started.

“And how far is shooting going to get you if you can’t run for cover? Or throw a punch, or dodge a laser beam? You’ll be dead in a millisecond! If anything happens to anyone out there, including you I’ll lose it!” Daydream interrupted. I felt a pit in my stomach. I’m an ass.

“Sorry...” I apologized. Daydream smiled softly.

“Thank you. Now give me those cancer sticks you’re so addicted to” Daydream demanded. Reluctantly I pulled the pack out of my pocket and handed them over.

“Those cost me twenty credits…” I growled. Daydream smirked.

“So since you’re not going to be smoking anymore, you should have no problem running a mile a day like everyone else!” Daydream said cheerfully. I continued to sulk behind her.

Once we were outside, the heat hit us. Hard. I saw dozens of killjoys running laps around the building. It’s a big building. I caught a glimpse of Mark running in front of everyone else. He was the track superstar back at our old school.

“Nice work Phantom! Keep it up!” Daydream cheered.

“Who’s watching Squirt?” I asked.

“Skizzy, Audrey’s M.I.A. again…” Daydream replied with a sigh. Then she turned to me. “Well what are you waiting for? Get in there!” Daydream continued. I tried giving her the most pathetic look possible, but she stared me down until I hopped in line with everyone.

It wasn’t half bad; I managed to run five feet without falling. I felt someone jab me in the hips from behind. I let out a yelp and turned around to see Crush grinning.

“Why do people do that?!” I growled. Crush shrugged, ginned, and kept running.

I managed to do one lap around the building. The heat was killing me. My lungs felt like they were on fire. I was slowing down, my teeth even hurt, and I was losing feeling in my arms.

“Come on! You can do better than that!” I heard Zombie taunt from behind me. I gave him a death stare and almost collapsed. I can only run when I’m about to be killed and hopped up on adrenaline.

“I’m going…to puke…” I wheezed. Zombie backed off and pulled me to the side. I leaned against a wall and put my head between my knees.

“How …How many laps …did you do?” I panted.

“None” Zombie said cheerfully. I looked up to face him.

“How?!” I demanded.
“Oh I’ve been staying out of Daydream’s way. You know the roof isn’t a bad hiding spot, or you could’ve just stayed in your room. That’s what I did most of the day.” Zombie replied with a shrug.

“You’re…an ass…help…me up….” I growled between breaths. Zombie rolled his eyes and pulled me up. “Let’s…check on… Squirt” I gasped.

When we got to Audrey and Phantom’s room, we saw Skizzy pacing back and for arguing with herself.

“I’m not going to hurt her! ...Shut up!” She screamed. She started bashing her head off the walls and pulling her hair.

“Skizzy! Stop it! What are you doing?!” Zombie asked.

“They want me to hurt her!” Skizzy whimpered motioning towards Squirt. I walked up to Skizzy and held her.

“Who wants you to hurt her?” I asked while trying to comfort her.Skizzy tapped on the side of her head and whimpered.

“The voices!” Skizzy shrieked as she pulled away from me. She pulled her gun out.

“Whoah whoah whoah! Skizzy put the gun down!” Zombie yelled as he jumped in front of me. Skizzy shook her head.

“No! I don’t want to hurt her! They can’t make me!” Skizzy screamed.

“You don’t have to! You don’t have to go anywhere near her if you don’t want to! Just put the gun down please!” I pleaded while walking towards her. Skizzy shook her head again.

“I’m sick of the voices telling me what to do! I’m done! If I don’t do this, then I’ll eventually hurt her!” Skizzy exclaimed. She raised the gun up and put it to her head and closed her eyes “Bye-bye” she sighed with a smile.

“Skizzy no!” Zombie and I screamed in unison.

She pulled the trigger.