Status: writing

The Kids From Yesterday

Chapter Seventeen: You Know What They Do To Guys like Us in Prison

“So Where am I?” I asked V. She pushed herself off of the slab of concrete and spread her arms out wide as if glorifying this hellhole.

“Welcome to prison Cupcake” she laughed.

“It’s Python…” I growled. V just rolled her eyes then they grew wide.

“Shut up for a minute let me think” V instructed. I pursed my lips together. “They do watch now. I would say pretend to be asleep, but they have cameras in every cell.” She started to explain while pointing at a corner of the room. Sure enough there was a tiny camera perched in the corner “Ok. Here’s what’s going to happen. They will take you, they will ‘clean you’ they will take your beloved clothes, and they will mark you as a prisoner.” She continued.

“Wha-what do you mean mark?” I asked in a shaky voice. I was scared shitless. I didn’t want to be in prison. What happened to Zombie and Mark? Or Squirt and R.J.? I started having a panic attack and bent over my knees struggling to breath. I felt myself shaking and sweating.

“I was wondering when it’d hit you” V said in a bored voice. I felt the tears well up in my eyes. I couldn’t breathe. I felt like a huge weight was on my lungs.

“Hey hey take it easy. I know it’s scary but you’ll be fine. I went through it almost a year ago.” V said trying to comfort me.

The cell door creaked open. I looked up and saw two dracs standing in the door way. I felt my hand reach for my gun out of instinct, but of course it wasn’t there.

“You lets go.” One of them barked. I didn’t move. They marched over to me and dragged me into the hall. One of them tried to scan my wrist but couldn’t because I had it covered up. I couldn’t help but smirk.

I looked in the other prison cells and looked at the prisoners. They all looked so beaten and worn down. I looked away before I made eye contact with one of them. The bright artificial light above me was so bright it gave me a headache. It just made this hellhole look even more menacing.

They dragged me to a big room full of other killjoys that still had their normal clothes. They threw me into the line. And when I say threw I mean like a fucking football. I landed on my hands and knees.

I struggled to get up because of my stupid leg. But once I did I stood there in silence.

One by one we all had to give up our clothes, then walk into a doorway that lead to a dark room. Going into a dark room in just your underwear is fucking creepy. Once I entered, I was grabbed by a drac and shoved into a stall. The drac pulled a rope and suddenly I was completely covered in white powder. I accidentally inhaled. It smelt like soap. I guess this was the ‘getting clean part’. The drac grabbed me again then threw me back into line. Once again with the throwing…

I continued walking out the room and into a bright room. The sudden brightness blinded me causing me to cover my eye, which was a big mistake because I still had all that soap still on me. So not only could I not see, but my eyes were stinging.

In the obnoxiously bright room I was shoved into yet another booth. This time I heard the buzzing of a razor. I felt my stomach drop. I was sat down on a stool as a drac started shaving a chunk of my head. He stopped when that chunk was completely bald then sent me out. I reached up to touch my new bald spot. It was almost worse than not having them shave my whole head.

I was plopped down into another booth where I heard a tattoo gun start buzzing to life. So this was the marking. The drac went at my skull and showed no mercy. Then he shoved my head to the side and tattooed something on my neck. When he was finished I was shoved back into line.

At the end of the line were our new prison uniforms. Bright, crisp, clean white jumpsuits with the BLI logo on it. I wanted to burn it. I felt dirty wearing it. I was escorted back to my cell by one drac this time. V was perched on her block of stone.

“You ok?” She asked.

“They cut my hair” was the only thing I could think of to say. I felt like a shallow bimbo.

“They cut mine too when I first came in but it grows back. And if you’re quiet, they forget to re shave it.” V said trying to make it sound better. I shrugged.

“But what’d they put there?… and on my neck?” I asked.

“Same as me kido” she started while sweeping the hair away from her neck, showing me her tattoo. Sure enough it said ‘Prisoner# 7843... BLI is so creative... “According to them we aren’t people, were numbers. You are number 507195. My friend”

“Ok so how long have you been here?” I asked.

“About a year?” she guessed. I looked at the camera.

“Do those have sound?” I asked. V nodded. I turned my back to the camera. I turned to V and mouthed four words. How do we escape? V grinned from ear to ear.

“Not even here for two hours and your already thinking of that? You and I are going to get along swimmingly” she said with a devious grin.

“Yes, yes we are.” I replied.

The next day, V decided to show me the ropes of prison.

“You get food there. You ‘bathe’ there. And you can exercise there. Don’t get sick or you won’t come back. Remember when you were little and you learned about the holocaust? Before they burnt all of the history books? It’s kinda like a concentration camp. They’re too cheap to gas us, but if you look at them the wrong way they will shoot you in the face. No redo’s, no second chances, no try again later. Game over. You want to be one of the quiet ones.” She explained.

I was trotting behind her and soaking everything up. The place was disgustingly immaculate. Everything was shining white.

“Ok so lemme introduce you to a couple of the most trustworthy people you will ever meet. Here is Neon Monster, Silver Shock, and Ghost Lightning.” She said introducing me to them.

Neon Monster had shaggy brown hair like Zombie’s but not as many tattoos. Silver Shock was this tiny petite little girl with silvery blonde hair. And Ghost Lightning was just fucking tall.

“Guys this is Python. She wants out too” V explained.

“V more people could jeopardize the plan” Ghost Lightning warned. V cut him off with a look.

“Yeah so? When has that stopped us? You losing your nerve Ghost?” V chided. Ghost sulked against a pole.

“This place reminds me of high school…” I growled. Apparently I’m funny because it made every one laugh. V motioned for us to huddle around her.

“Ok so here’s the plan.”