Status: writing

The Kids From Yesterday

Chapter Twenty: Sid and Nancy

It’s been three months since Freedom died, and it hasn’t gotten any easier for Zombie. He would spend days laying in bed and would go days without eating if I didn’t force him to. It was ripping me apart. I didn't know what to do for him. When he was depressed, I got depressed. So to numb it, we both started getting into some pretty heavy shit. If we weren’t drunk, we’d be higher than the fucking sun.

We were getting on everyone’s last nerves. We’d get uncontrollable.

Zombie was worse. He’d get violent. Never towards me, but he would break, punch, or flip things. And the more drugs he did, the more common his episodes were. He had an episode at dinner a few weeks ago. Everyone thought he was overdosing, but I held his head and waited it out with him. Everyone knew he was epileptic now. He hated them knowing. It made him feel even more helpless.

Our whole cutesie-dutsie puppy love phase was long gone. We still loved each other, but had trouble getting along.

He and I were hanging out in our room doing what we usually do. Zombie handed me a straw and I snorted up a line of white powder. I hated and loved the feeling of it.

“Phantom won’t let me near Squirt anymore.” I said quietly.

“That’s bullshit. You’re the closest thing the kid has to a mom.” Zombie grumbled. He snorted another line.

“Dude take it easy…” I warned. The corner of his mouth twitched slightly and he rolled his eyes.

“Babe its fine” he said defensively. Cue angry over reaction. “All you’ve done is nag me lately! You’re Impossible to live with!” He growled.

“Well maybe you should leave then!” I shouted back.

“Fine!” Zombie boomed. He stood up, stomped out the door and slammed it shut behind him. He’d be back once he sobered up. He always came back. It still hurt though every time he did.

I collapsed on the mattress on the floor and cried. Someone knocked on the door.

“Fuck off Zombie!” I growled. R.J. opened the door.

“It’s me” she greeted. She looked at the drugs on the table and sighed. I raised my index finger to stop her.

“Don’t start” I warned. R.J. raised her tattooed hands defensively.

“I didn’t come here to pick a fight; I came to see if you were ok. Zombie drove off” R.J. explained. I sat up on the bed.

“Are you fucking kidding me?” I started. He never drove off. I jumped up and headed out the door “Which way was he heading?!” I shouted. I heard Squirt whimper in the corner. I desperately wanted to comfort her, but Phantom would kill me if I went near her.

“He went East I’m pretty sure” R.J. replied. I grabbed a set of keys off the kitchen counter.

“That asshole is going to get himself killed” I grumbled heading out the door. I ran up to a random car. Zombie must’ve taken Daydream’s car; she’s going to fucking kill him.

“Python you’re not driving like this. I’m coming too” R.J. said as she hopped in the driver seat and took the keys. I climbed into the passenger seat.

“Thanks…now let’s find the bastard.” I grumbled.

We followed the tracks for about a half hour before we finally found him. He was sitting in the car with his head in his hands. I jumped out of the car.

“You can head back R.J., he won’t leave me out here alone” I told her. She nodded and drove away.

Zombie looked up when he heard the car’s motor. I sat in the passenger seat of Daydream’s car.

“hey.” I greeted.

“Hi.” He said with a nod.

“You ok?” I asked. Zombie turned to me and smiled weakly

“Yeah… I’m fine… let’s just head home ok?” he asked as he put the keys in the ignition.

“Daydream’s going to kill you when she finds out you took her car” I laughed quietly. Zombie smiled and took my slipped his hand in mine.

When we got back, Zombie said he was tired and went to lie down. I was sobered up now and Phantom let me hold Squirt.

“So no one ended up dead out there?” V asked in a fake surprised tone. I rolled my eyes

“You two are going to be the death of each other” Daydream warned. I rolled my eyes again.

“Yeah you guys are like Sid and Nancy!” R.J. joined in.

“No were not.” I said coldly. R.J. shrugged.

“Whatever you say” she said as she stood up and walked to her room. I gave Squirt back to Phantom and headed into my room.

“Hey Zombie” I greeted. His back was facing me as he leaned against a table. He didn’t respond. I walked over towards him.

I screamed. His eyes were rolled were rolled into the back of his head and he wasn’t moving. There was a syringe in his arm. His mouth was hanging open.

“Zombie!” I shrieked. He still didn’t respond. Everyone came crashing through the door. I yanked the needle out of his arm, threw him on the ground and started pumping at his chest

“What happened?” Daydream asked

“He O.D.ed!” I yelled, “Don’t just stand there! Do something!” I shrieked at them. R.J. swooped in to help me. V stepped in.

“Move.” She demanded.

“What are you doing?!” I asked. She looked like she was hurting him.

“Don’t worry about it kid. This isn’t my first time at the rodeo” she grumbled. Whatever she did, worked. Zombie gasped for air.

“Oh thank god…” I sighed. We helped Zombie on the bed to let him sleep it off and everyone else left.

I walked over to the desk to grab a cigarette. I pulled it out and lit it, inhaling deeply. I saw a note under the pack. I picked it up to examine it.

It was a suicide note.

‘Jenny, please don’t hate me for this. I just can’t handle it anymore. I love you. –Ben’

I collapsed to my knees, tears streaming down my face. He meant to overdose. He meant to do it. He finally told me he loved me, but it was in his suicide letter. I was in shock

“I’m sorry…” I hear him mutter from the bed. I just stared at him.

“Why?” I started, “Why couldn’t you come to me and talk about it?! Why couldn’t you just fucking talk to me?!” I sobbed. Zombie looked at the floor.

“I don’t know. I miss her so much Python…” he sighed.

“I get that! I miss her too! I also miss my brother! And Skizzy! But I didn’t kill myself!” I barked

“You almost did…” he reminded me.

“But you stopped me” I growled. Zombie’s face softened. I sat on the bed next to him.

“Look I’m sorry. I know I haven’t been the most comforting person in the world…” I apologized.

“And I haven’t been the biggest ball of sunshine…” Zombie admitted. I smiled and took his hand in mine.

“We’ll help each other get better ok?” I offered. Zombie nodded.

“Yeah” he replied. I lay down next to him and he held me close.

“I do love you you know.” He said quietly.

“I love you too”
♠ ♠ ♠
dont be a silent reader, tell me what you think