Status: writing

The Kids From Yesterday

Chapter Six: Date with the Night

We were running as fast as we could. It was only a matter of time until they found out about us. It would take at least a day to get back to battery city, but the drac could’ve radioed for backup and they have stations everywhere.

“Can we slow down?!” Audrey wheezed. Mark shook his head and started to drag her behind him.

“No they’ll catch us!” Mark yelled over his shoulder. Audrey sighed and continued to run. We’ve been running for about an hour and it was starting to get dark.

“Shit! Are those headlights?!” I exclaimed stopping in my tracks. Sure enough there were two bright lights heading our way.

“Move!” Skizzy barked shoving us all into the brush, out of the way of the car. But as it drove past us, we noticed it was red and not black. We jumped out of the brush screaming and waving our arms for them to pull over.

When they did we ran towards them, our hands hovering over our guns just in case. Inside the car were three girls. The one driving had long black and red hair dressed in a striped shirt and black waistcoat. The one riding shotgun had hot pink hair with red and black feathers in it and covered in tattoos. The last girl sitting in the back had short, thick, mousy brown hair and was wearing a mask.

“Hey! They’re dracs tracking us, can we have a lift? Just to somewhere somewhat safe. Please, our friends pregnant…” I asked frantically checking behind my shoulder. Sure enough another set of headlights were pulling up over the hill. The driver nodded.

“Hop in!” She shouted waving us in. we all crammed into the red convertible. “I’m Daydream” The driver continued as she slammed on the gas.

“I’m Romeo Versus Juliet, but you can call me RJ” The girl with the pink hair shouted over the rumble of the motor.

“I’m Crush” he girl next to me said.

“I’m Python” I replied. I nodded towards Mark “This is Phantom, Sparrow, and Skizzy” I continued pointing at each person. Daydream looked in the rearview mirror.
“We got company ladies” She warned. We drew our weapons. The BLI car was gaining.

RJ, Crush, Mark, and I took aim. Skizzy was covering Audrey and Mark made her give him his gun. Audrey was our best shooter, but we didn’t want her to get tempted. We couldn’t risk her getting shot. Thank god it was my left arm that was messed up and not my right.

There were laser beams flying around everywhere. One whizzed right past my head and would’ve hit me square in the face if Mark hadn’t yanked me down.

“Thanks!” I gasped. Mark nodded and continued shooting.

There were now three cars behind us. I didn’t even see them come, they just appeared like ghosts. Daydream had RJ take the wheel while she threw knives at the dracs. She nailed one of the drivers right in the forehead.

“Daydream, take the wheel! I’m about to crash your precious car!” I heard RJ barked.

Another car pulled into view, but it wasn’t like the others. It was a van. An old BLI van covered in spray paint. But the most eye-catching thing was on the side, in big white and blue letters taking up almost the entire van was ‘LOOK ALIVE SUNSHINE’. The van pulled up next to one of the cars. The van door swung open and a man with a scraggily beard and shaggy brown hair popped out and shot down the driver. He turned and faced us

“KILLJOYS MAKE SOME NOISE!” he boomed. Daydream, Crush, RJ, and Skizzy started pumping their arms and cheering. Audrey, Mark and I had no idea what to do so we just went with the flow.

The guy in the van didn’t stop them. It just delayed them for a minute. The minute the driver dropped, another drac threw the body out of the car and took his place. I knew they were heartless, but I didn’t think they were that heartless, I thought they had at least some form of a code. Audrey popped her head up and grabbed her gun from Mark.

“Give me that! I’ll show you how to fucking shoot!” She growled as she started taking down the dracs in the car behind us one by one.

“BOOM! You just got owned by a pregnant bitch you fat fucks!” Audrey cheered. We all started laughing at this. I couldn’t see their faces because of their masks, but I was almost positive that this aggravated them even more.

I managed to take down two dracs in the car behind it. A laser beam was heading right at me again. Mark shoved me to the bottom of the car and I slammed into Crush accidentally causing her to shoot one of the headlights. Mark yelped in pain and collapsed on top of us.

“How did you not fucking scream your fucking head off?” Mark barked.

“I wanted to I just didn’t! Keep shooting you baby!” I growled as I sliding away from Crush. “Sorry about that Crush… Phantom tends to overreact” I shouted to her over the shooting. Crush nodded at me and continued shooting

“You’re welcome Python… It’s not like I saved you or anything!” He grumbled while rolling his eyes. I ignored him and kept shooting.

The last of the dracs were trying to drive away. The man in the van took out one of the drivers. Before another could take its place, Audrey shot the passengers down without blinking. I caught her smirking when she saw them slumping dead in their seats. She was almost as brutal as they were. Mark, Crush, RJ, and I took down the others. Daydream turned around to look at he damage.

“Anyone hurt?!” She yelled at us from the front.

“It just grazed me” Mark reported. RJ snorted.

“Of course the dude got shot!” She laughed.

“There is too much estrogen in this car…” Mark sighed as he rolled his eyes.

“We have a place on the other side of Zone 6. We have a warehouse there. It’s a little over a day’s drive because we have to loop around Battery City, we should be fine since we’re not going through any Drac stations. You can stay with us for as long as you need to.” Daydream explained.

“Thank you so much, you have no idea how badly we needed this…” I sighed. Daydream smiled and nodded her head. RJ rolled her eyes.

“Are we seriously going to let a screaming baby crawl around our place?” She growled. Crush kicked her in the arm from the back seat. RJ threw up her arms defensively and that was that.

We had a home.