Status: Active

Taking Chances

Micah

I ignored (well, tried to ignore) the heated stares of pretty much the entire cafeteria, as Jaden and I walked over to my usual table, both of us holding trays with food. The difference between the amount of food on ech tray was more than obvious. Jaden's tray had a slice of pizza, some brown meat and veggie slop as well as a thick sandiwich wrapped in cling-plastic. Oh, and he had a large cup of raspberry icy-treat. My plate, however, only carried a 500mL bottle of spring water and a salad sandwich. Jaden had given me worried glance after worried glance since it was blatantly obvious I ws eating too little, but I shrugged it off. I had never had a big appetite. I guess that was why I was so small and lanky.

"What the..." Maybelle started, as she saw Jaden and I approaching together, her mouth hanging open since she was about to take a bite of her ham and cheese roll.

"Hell," Ellie said, finishing off th shocked sentence, as she too of stopped mid-bite to stare at us. Well, she stared at me- but glared a fiery hole through Jaden's head. Jaden, despite this, smirk as we neared, sitting down. I plopped down next to Ellie, who grabbed my arm, pulling me down so she could whisper into my ear. Jaden sat on my other side, grinning as he winked at Ellie's murderous expression.

"Why the flying fuck is he sitting here?! What did he make you do?!" Ellie whispered, though her voice was much too loud, being in her nature. Her whisper was a person's normal voice, pretty much, so Jaden heard pretty easily, and rolled his eyes, picking up his for, stabbing a chunk of sloppy meat, pushing it into his mouth.

"He's a friend, Ellie. Remember when we were friends?" I replied, almost sarcastically, as Jaden's eyes lit up, his lips curling as he shot Ellie a smug look. I subtly kicked him under the table, making his smile falter, giving me an odd look. I returned his gaze with a "Control yourself, they already hate you," look which he sighed at, returning to his food.

"Oh, I remember. Remember when that... friend broke your heart?! Micah! He's only here to hurt you all over again!" Ellie squeezed my arm, and I frowned, my heart throbbing. I was true I've forgiven Jaden- how could I not, I loved him. But a part of me still ached every time I think about that day for years ago. There was still a tiny part of in my mind that screamed at me to rethink this, that forgiving him was wrong. I knew that I wanted him, that I needed him, but there was always the chance that he... Could leave me. Again.

I couldn't live if that happened again.

Ellie's face was soft with worry, her brow creased as I shook my head of the doubtful thoughts. Jaden had said he loved me, that he needed me, and that he had missed me for those four, lonely years. And the way he held me and kissed me was proof of that. No kiss that I've ever had felt like that, as if just by touching him all my worries and fears were swept away. The way he held me shielded me from the world, filling me with love instead of disgust and hate. I loved how he made me feel like that. How he made me feel like I was wanted and that I belonged.

"Ellie. It's fine, I promise. He's... He's not the same as he was before," I said softly, Jaden's arm brushing mine, making me shiver a little. "Just... Give him another chance, Ellie."

"Have you given him a second chance then?" Maybelle asked, joining in. Declan just sat next to her, watching this unfold with worry and a mild curiosity, his eyes studying both Jaden and I, his lips twitching as if he wanted to burst out laughing. His eyes met mine then, and I saw that he knew. Not that we were friends, but that we were... Together. Maybelle and Ellie were too preoccupied with their hatred for Jaden that they didn't see the whole picture. But Declan did. He had taken a step back and looked at the bigger picture, putting together all the pieces that were scattered around us that Belle and Ellie didn't see.

I stiffened, and Declan noticed, only to wink at me. My mouth popped open, as he mouthed words that made my heart start up again. "It's okay. I won't say a thing," he had mouthed, and I thanked him by nudging his leg under the table, making him grin. Even though I barely knew the guy, he already held one of my most hushed secrets in his palm, but I felt that I could trust him. He got an inkling that this was something that wasn't to be discussed in front of the two girls. I could confide in him now. I felt a little less constricted, since there was another person besides Jaden who understood the whole story.

"Micah, answer me, please," Belle pleaded, looking at me with desperate eyes. She wanted me to say no, that I didn't trust him with my heart again. Ellie mirrored her expression, as she spared a menacing look at Jaden, who pretended to be oblivious to the whole scenario by munching on his pizza.

"Yeah, I have. And I'm sorry, but I can't hold grudges, you know that," I said, and Maybelle's face dropped, and she leaned against Declan, who suddenly looked flustered as he awkwardly and hesitantly wrapped his arms around her shoulders as she sighed heavily. Ellie, on the other hand, got up and walked over to Jaden, pulling him onto his feet as he choked on his pizza. He flipped Ellie off as he coughed, struggling to swallow the piece of lodged pizza, slapping his chest as Ellie looked him in the eye.

"You," she hissed, stabbing a finger at his chest as he looked down at her, pissed. They were both pissed, and when two of them are pissed it never ended well. I got up to stop them from fighting, but they both turned to me, telling me to back off. I grimaced, sitting back down as Ellie continued. "I'm only letting you sit here because Micah invited you. But that does not mean I like you, got it? Actually, I fucking hate your guts. If you do anything, anything at all, that Micah doesn't like, then I will not hesitate to stab pencils into your head, understand?" Anyone else would have pissed their pants, but Jaden just smirked, my heart thumping. His smirk really was pretty sexy.

"Honey, are you on your period?" Jaden asked, and Ellie's face flushed bright red, reflecting her vibrant hair as she let out a screech, stomping on Jaden's foot with so much for it would have made a dinosaur keel over. Jaden let out a pained noise, dropping to the ground as he clutched his sure-to-be-swollen foot, seething silently as he rubbed his foot. Ellie looked satisfied, and I groaned, getting up and bending down to help Jaden. He whimpered at me, but I shook my head, muttering a soft "You deserved it, you idiot."

***

I walked into French, one of the classes I didn't have with Jaden (sadly), and since it was my first French class for the year the seats we're yet to be claimed, so I scanned the room, my eyes locking on the one at the back next to the window. I moved to that seat, and just as I neared it a foot shot out, catching mine, sending me toppling over. My arms flailed about as I tried to grab onto something, anything, and I yelped as I hit the ground. Which was... soft? What the...

"Are you alright?" a deep, soothing voice asked, and I felt my cheeks redden as I felt the hands around me tighten. My face was in the guy's chest, and I looked up and met a pair of deep sapphire eyes, specked with grey. The guy- who I admit was quite handsome- looked at me, a worried gleam in his eyes as he helped me up. He was tall, taller than me, and was actually around the same height as Jaden. He had dirty-blonde hair and strong features, with tanned skin and moist lips that were curled down in a frown, as he turned behind me to look the person who tripped me.

"Byron, what the hell was that?" the guy growled, and I turned, meeting Byron's disgusted eyes, as he stood up, shoving me against a desk as he approached the other guy, stopping directly in front of him.

"Just stay out of my business, Nick," Byron spat, as the guy called Nick rolled his eyes.

"You don't have the right to hurt people like that, Byron. Remember what mum said? The next time you get sent to the principle's office she's going to take away your car," Nick said, and my mouth dropped as I leaned against the desk. He had said mum as if they were brothers... Shit! They're brothers?!

I looked at the two of them in a new light, and this time I saw the similarities between them. They were both blonde, Nick's having barely noticeable strands of light brown while Byron's hair was a startling bleached blonde. Their eyes were both blue as well, again, their shades being a little varied, but otherwise they were definitely brothers.

"Fuck you," Byron snapped, as Nick just looked at him with a seemingly bored expression on his face. Either Nick was really good at controlling his anger, or he was used to this type of thing from Byron. I figured the second was the likely, since Byron seemed to always give shit to his brother. Byron gave his brother another look, before retreating to his desk, which was two in front of the one I wanted. Which was mine now, since I quickly chucked my bag onto the small table.

"I'm sorry about that," that low voice sighed, and I turned, seeing Nick standing next to me with an apologetic expression on his face. "He's not really a people person."

"It's fine," I said softly, blushing as he smiled. He had a nice smile. "U-uhm, thanks for... Catching me, before. You really didn't need to." He just let out a short laugh, shaking his head as he looked at me.

"And let you face plant on the ground? I don't think so," he grinned, sticking out his hand. "I'm Nikolas, but everyone just calls me Nick." I gingerly placed my hand in his, shaking it softly.

"Micah, just Micah," I said shyly, taking back my hand as he nodded.

"Micah. Nice name," he mused, chuckling as I flushed red. "So, Micah, do you mind if I sit next to you? I'm new here, and well, there is this girl that is kind of freaking me out so I figured if I sat next to you then I'd be in the all clear," he said honestly, and I laughed, nodding, and he gratefully placed his bag on the desk next to mine, sinking into his seat as I slid into mine.

"So, um, where did you come from?" I asked awkwardly, and Nick shrugged.

"Nowhere special really. I was originally born in England, but i move around a lot because of my dad's job," he explained. "Basically I'm not sure if I'm going to be staying at this school for long. Byron sure as hell seems to be having fun. Again, I am so sorry. He's a dick. He... Always bullies people he doesn't like. But you're nice, so I wonder what you did to make him dislike you..." Nick said, brow wrinkling in deep thought.

"Maybe because I'm a freak of nature," I sighed, and he shook his head, his eyes showing curiosity.

"Are you by any chance... Gay?" he asked, and I nodded, a little embarrassed. I didn't know why I needed to be, I mean, he was bound to find out some day, since the whole school knew. Maybe he was a homophobe like his brother. Oh, shit. I don't need the both the Finn brothers beating me up. And Nick seemed much stronger than Byron, no offense to the other guy.

"Y-yeah..." I replied, slowly inching back in-case he lashed out at me. Instead, much to my surprise, he clapped his hands happily, winking.

"Me too. And I think that's why Byron doesn't like you. He's an idiot," Nick groaned, glancing at Byron, who was chatting to his friends.

"So he really is a homophobe, then?" I asked, and Nick gave me a funny look, before bursting out laughing. His laugh was deep but light, and reflected his seemingly free-spirited and down to earth nature.

"Not exactly," Nick grinned, giving me a sly smile. "But enough about my stupid brother. You're nice, and I'm new, and I need a friend. So, friends?" he had a goofy grin on his face that made him look absolutely adorable, and I couldn't help but giggle. "Pwease?" He batted his eyes like a girl, and I nodded, agreeing. He was nice and since he was also homosexual he wouldn't judge me about my sexuality.

The teacher walked in, and everyone shuffled to their seats as he clapped his hands for attention.

"You all know me, and if you don't, ask someone else," our French teacher said, his croaky voice thick with his accent. "Find a partner, because your first assessment task will be a joint project." Nikolas and I looked at each other at the same time, and we both giggled softly. "This task will require you to do work both during class and outside of class together, so I suggest you choose someone you will work well with." Again, Nick and I glanced at each other, both of us all smiles. I felt a stinging look aimed at my head, and my skin prickled as I turned, looking at Byron who was glaring daggers at both me and Nick. Nick ignored it, but the heat of his stare made me uneasy.

Nick said he wasn't homophobic. I begged to differ.
♠ ♠ ♠
Nikolas (Nick) Finn

Well, a new character for you! :) Nick and Byron aren't twins, by the way. Nick is a year older and the same age as Micah. Byron is in Micah's French class because he is surprisingly smart so he is doing the next grade's French, basically.
So, who has a little inkling that Nicky likes Micah? And who has an idea about why Byron actually hates Micah. Kudos to you who pieced the little clues together ;)
Well, that's it for now! Until next time!
Comment and subscribe, please! :3
xx