Status: Active

Taking Chances

Jaden

"Micah!" I called, and the small boy turned around, an adorable grin gracing his delicate features. He waved and I fell into step with him, ruffling his hair, which had little flakes of snow resting daintily on his chocolate locks. I flicked the snow off, and he blushed, shifting from his left foot to his right as I smiled. Micah was like my little brother, even though he was the same age as me. He was a small kid, and when he was young he was often mistaken as a very pretty little girl, but he was starting to grow out of it now, since we were both 14. He was still pretty, though, with his long lashes that rested on his pale, blemish-less skin as he slept, his silk hair that I always ruffled, loving the way it was so smooth and easy to run my fingers through. He was short, but slowly catching up to me, and was naturally small-boned, giving him a smaller, delicate frame. But that didn't mean he wasn't strong- he was, scarily so, but the kid acted so helpless all the time he gives off the wrong impression.

"Jay, do you want to go on that ride?" Micah asked, his slender finger pointing to a roller coaster, which had mysteriously planted itself in the middle of the road. But at that moment, I thought nothing of it. As long as Micah was happy, I was happy. Anything to make my best friend happy. I nodded in reply, and Micah grabbed my hand, his warm despite the chilled weather. Winter was just over, but its effects were still obvious. It was an extremely cold one, this year- for us to get snow! Micah had loved this winter. It was so darn cute how he'd just sit on his porch, even in the freezing weather, just to watch the snow fall. The kid loved rain as well, he just loved everything about it, from the way it smelled to the sound it makes when it hit the roof..

We got onto the ride, which was deserted except for us. Micah sat next to me, doing up his seatbelt with an excited grin, and my face probably mirrored his one with equal anticipation. The rocket-shaped compartment we were in jerked forward, and suddenly I got a sick feeling in my stomach, but not from fear or adrenaline. It was almost a pre-warning mechanism that told me something was going to go wrong...

MIcah screamed and laughed, making my head snap to him as we hurtled down the first drop at an incredible speed. My heart started beating again when I saw that Micah was perfectly fine, and that the scream was of enjoyment.

But that was only the first scream.

The next time he screamed he was half out of the ride, holding onto the edge of the rocket for dear life, tears streaming down his face as he called out my name. His eyes locked with mine, but I couldn't move. I was frozen, as if something was holding me down. I tried to open my mouth to yell out for him, but couldn't. My throat was tight and my body stiff. My heart stopped when he opened his mouth.

"Why, Jay? Why didn't you accept me?" he whispered, his fingers uncurling themselves. "Why didn't you love me?" My body was suddenly free, and I stumbled forward to grab onto him. But before I could reach him he smiled, a terrible, heart-breaking smile, and let go.

"Micah!" I screamed, hitting the ground with a loud thump, groaning I opened my eyes, which were attacked with the morning sun. I lay there on the ground for a moment, remembering my awfully vivid dream. It had happened again. That nightmare, the same one I had at least 3 times a week. It was my guilty conscience, which couldn't give me a break even when I was unconscious. As if on cue, my alarm beeped to life, and I picked myself up, rubbing my neck as I slammed my palm down onto the 'off' button. The beeping stopped, and I yawned, stretching. I walked over to the window, pulling it open, wincing as the full power of the sun seared my eyes. I blinked until I got used to the light, and walked to my dresser. I pulled out a new set of under clothes as well as a dark T-shirt and light, grey-white skinny jeans before making my way to one of the 5 bathrooms in my house. Or, mini-mansion as Micah used to-

Micah.

I laughed dryly to myself, loneliness pounding through me, as I hopped into the shower, chucking my boxers into the wash-basket. After showering, I got changed, drying my hair as I mussed it into its perfect position. I applied a minimal amount of eyeliner, just out of habit, and walked back to my room, slipping my checkered Vans and fingerless black gloves on as I slipped my phone, car keys, iPod and school books into my small torn duffel bag, slowly trudging down the marble stairs, walking down the never-ending corridor towards the kitchen. I dumped my bag onto the ground by a chair, and opened the cupboard above the counter for whatever cereal my hands grabbed first. Fruit Loops. Micahs' favouri-

I grimaced, and agitatedly crammed the cereal back into the cupboard, grabbing anything but that. I poured the brown cereal into my bowl, drowning the little wheat pieces in milk and quickly ate it at the dining table, which was a long, ivory antique piece, a little too extravagant for my liking, but my parents liked it, so I was cool with that. And speak of the Devil and he shall appear.

"Good morning, pumpkin," mum cooed, kissing me as she entered the kitchen. "Are you all ready for school?"

"Mhmm," I said, swallowing as I finished the last spoonful. Mum was a stay-home mother, and tended to the cleaning of the house, even though she didn't need to since we had hired maids/cleaner to do that, but she liked it, apparently. I didn't know people could like doing chores, but mum was one of those people. We were rich, and our flamboyant house probably telling people that. Dad was a CEO of a major company, and was the one rolling in the cash. He worked funny hours, so I didn't see him a lot, but when I do we usually just chill watching the football, which is his passion.

"You should get going then, pumpkin," she said, pushing me along to the door, smiling. "It's your last year of high school, but it is a new school and you have to make a good impression on your first day!" Mum wished me good luck, and I laughed. Mum was a very bubbly, happy-go-lucky person, and quite beautiful as well, despite her age. My mum, whose name is Mietta, was 47 and was a very short woman with shoulder-length black hair and emerald green eyes. She was very tan whilst I was just normal with a slight bronze touch. Mum was starting to pack on the pounds, but she wasn't a rolling ball of flub. She was just curvy and healthy.

"I'll be going then, mum," I told her, giving her a quick hug before ducking into my car. What kind of car, are you asking? Well, not meaning to brag, but with the amount of allowance I get plus my part-time job at a supermarket, I indulged myself and purchased a flaming red Porsche 911. My darling girl was a beautiful piece of work, and I loved driving her. I peeled out of the garage and manoeuvred my baby around the circular driveway, where the gate automatically opened, allowing me to speed out. The drive to school was about 15 minutes, so I would get there a little early, but that was fine. It was a new school, so I could use that time getting used to it.

The drive was pleasant, well, pleasant until I passed a park that I knew all too well. It caused feelings that I had tried to bury down- and failed, despite my efforts- as I remembered what I had hurt so cruelly in that same park.

Micah.

I gritted my teeth, slamming my fist on the side of my steering wheel, self-hatred flooding through me. I hated myself. I hated how high-and-mighty I was, how I thought I was the best and that everyone was beneath me. I was a cocky little brat, and I don't really think that has changed. Much. But back when I was fourteen, with no knowledge of the feelings of others and what the feeling of true loss was, I was a liar, stupid and full of it. But Micah- sweet, beautiful, caring Micah, had somehow slipped past my defences and made me really... fell for him.

Before I knew it I had fallen in love with him.

But of course I was stupid. Of course I didn't accept my feelings, let alone his feelings. I was scared, because I didn't know what that bubbly feeling was in my stomach when he said "I love you," or what was wrong with me when my heart started feeling tight and so full it hurt. I pushed him away, scared of him, scared of myself, and scared of whatever feelings I had for him. I was so cruel, and I could never get the image of his heart-broken face out of my head. I had heard him cry, calling out for me, but I just kept walking, leaving him in the freezing cold.

When I got home I blocked out all emotions, blocking out everything I felt for Micah, forcing myself yo just forget and let go. That was also when mum and dad told me we were moving to France, since dad had a business thing to do and that we would be there for at least 3 years. I was somewhat glad that this was happening. Every other fourteen-year-old kid who was popular, like me, would be angry at the thought of leaving everyone behind, but I wanted to escape from it all. I was a coward, and I hated myself for it.

We arrived back in Orange Beach [A/N: It's a made-up place and does not exist. If there is a place called that, then it has no relevance to this story at all, it's just a coincidence!] two weeks ago, but we had stayed cooped up in our mansion unpacking and settling in, only going out for meals since out kitchen was packed with boxes and mum wasn't bothered to cook. I had wondered, every second of every day, if Micah was still here in this town. He could have moved in the almost four years since I've seen him. But if he didn't, he probably wouldn't even be going to the same school as me, since there were a whole lot of high schools in Orange Beach. I wondered if he still looked the same- baby-faced and hypnotically beautiful. I wondered what he was like now, if his shy, loveable personality had changed. I wondered if he still loved me.

I doubt it, I thought to myself, as I pulled into the parking lot, pulling into one of the many free spots. I was only ten minutes early in the end, since I took a wrong turn at an intersection, but that didn't change the fact that I was early. The car park was pretty full already, everyone probably here early because it was the first day of a new year of schooling, everyone revved up with tales of their summer exploits, flings and daring activities. As I got out of the car, everyone turned to look at the new kid. I was pretty used to it- it was worse and definitely more intimidating when you transferred to a school in France with French kids staring at you, murmuring things in a language you only half understood.

"Gosh, he's pretty hot? Is he new?" I heard a girl whisper to her friend, who nodded in agreement, both of them checking out my ass. I smirked. I knew I looked good, but I wasn't interesting in girls. Well, I was bi-sexual- I had discovered that with a nice French guy who was also bi-curious. It was kind of hard getting him to let go of me, since he had somehow grown some kind of emotional attachment to me. Yeah, I had a male stalker in France, but that's another story, and something I would rather not revisit.

I couldn't help but wink at the girls, who practically swooned as I passed. Girls were staring at me in awe, and I was already receiving some pissed off and jealous glares from other guys, who clearly did not possess the same amount of looks and charm that I oozed out effortlessly. Not to be up myself, but I was pretty damn hot.

I waltzed into the front office, where the elderly receptionist sneered at me, looking up at me through thick-rimmed spectacles, obviously thinking "Another snob. He'll be one to watch." Huh, bitch. I smiled a sugar-coated-chocolate-dipped-honey-drizzled smile at her, and she all but rolled her thin eyes at me. Okay, this old hag officially hates me. Oh well, I'm only going to be here for one year anyway, and it's not like anything will be interesting here at school.

"And you are?" the old woman screeched, her voice as ugly as her face.

"Jaden Carr. I'm new here," I told her, and she typed it into the sleek computer, her long, cherry red nails clacking against the keys.

"Hmph. Here's your schedule, locker number and code and school map. One of our best students will be giving you a tour, since he has a few classes with you," she said, her eyes brightening for a moment. Oh no, I was going to be stuck with one of those teacher's-balls-licking-sucking-up-nerd-with-a-teacher-complex', who was obviously also a teacher's pet, since the old crone here was practically sighing with adoration. "Oh, he's here. This is the new kid you will be giving a tour for," the hag said, looking behind me with a gentle smile. Huh, so she gives me a menacing glare, but this teacher's pet gets the gentle grandmother smile. This guy is already giving me the creeps. How could someone even make that old hag look somewhat nice?

I sighed, and turned around, ready to head into my first day at a new school. But my heart stopped when I saw who my guide was, and my mouth probably dropped all the way down into the pits of Hell.

Shit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Jaden's Car

Thank you so much to my 3 amazing subscribers! :]
I really appreciate it!
Please comment and subscribe- it would make my year!
xx