Incarnate

Chapter 1

"Lola! Hurry up! We're going to be late for our first day of junior year and it's going to be all your fault!"

Lola Swayze didn't have to peer around the thick trees or passed the cars to find out who was so angry with her. The high pitched, British accented voice was identification all on it's own. 

"I'm right here Hana, now hold your horses! The first bell hasn't even rung yet!" Lola said laughing. 

Hana Monroe huffed up her cheeks and stomped her foot with frustration. She stood on the steps of Rockford Prep, dressed in her new upperclassmen uniform, anxiously  awaiting the moment where she could walk into the school. "Lola!"

"What's the rush Hana? You hate school!" Lola asked. She adjusted her her messenger bag on her shoulder before walking up the concrete steps. 

"The first day of school isn't really a school day though! It's a day for making a statement that'll follow you through the rest of the school year, maybe even beyond!" Hana explained. There was a sparkle in her dark blue eyes that was only comparable to the sun reflecting on rolling sea. "And I want to make a statement to wow them!"

"And just what would this statement be, Hana?" Lola asked as she began to open the heavy front doors to the school.

With an ample amount of pride, Hana said, "well, for starters, who can rock a sweater vest and a white tennis skirt like I can? No one. And let's not forget, new contacts, so no more hiding behind those glasses--"

"You make it sound like you had glasses for three years, not three weeks."

Hana ignored that remark. "Oh, and in case you hadn't noticed," she leaned in closer to whisper, "went up a whole size in the right area, if you knows what I mean." With a girly little giggle, she smiled and began to skip down the hall. "This is our year Lola! I can feel it !" 

"Hana, you say that every year."

The bubbly blonde sighed dreamily and stopped to wait for her friend. "Yes, but Lola, this year I mean it, I feel it, I know."

Lola let out a sigh, she didn't want to bother arguing, since Hana said that every year as well. Perhaps though, Lola thought to herself, maybe she's right, maybe this is our year. 

The familiar, shrill sound of the morning bell began to ring through the crowded halls of the school. 

"Hana, your in 550 for home room, right?"

"'course! I'm always in your home room." she chirped brightly, beginning to skip down the hall again. 

"Then where you going? 550's right here." Lola asked. 

Hana turned to see her friend standing about 10 steps behind her, just outside an open classroom door. "I knew that." she said in a weak tone, not even bothering to regain her pride. 

Most Rockford Prep classes had anywhere from fifteen to twenty students, and yet to both Lola and Hana's surprise, only four other students filled the room. 

They must have all been new students, Lola decided, since she'd never seen any of them before. 

As she and Hana took a pair of desk in the center of the classroom, she began to analyze her new classmates. The first she noticed was an extremely tall brunette, who probably stood at least a foot over herself, being just under five feet. Height notwithstanding, her most noticeable feature was her dark green eyes, almost like gemstones. At that moment, they were locked on the sleeping girl next to her. 

She was a pretty little thing, with silky black hair that probably fell  to her chin were she sitting up. Hana had pointed out that it was so black, it almost looked blue.  "Ari-chan, go away." the smaller girl moaned, hiding her face in her folded arms. 

"Come on Yuuki-duki, class is going to start! Wake up!" Ari snapped back. 

Yuuki moaned and with her pencil case, smucked her friend on the head.

"What was that for?"

"I'm trying to sleep..."

The girls bickering could have probably gone on longer, but the two werer cut off by a young woman, probably the teacher, walking into the room.

She was no more than 28, with thick red hair tied up in a bun, and thin wire glasses shielding her grey eyes. "Good morning class," she said sweetly, like she were talking to a kindergarden class. 

A pin could have dropped, been heard, and gotten a bigger reaction than the new teacher did. Her shoulders hung for a mere moment before she perked up again. "Well, for the four of you who don't know me, I'm Miss Applebee, I'll be your teacher for the rest of the semester."

Ari lazily raised her hand. "What class is this anyway? We didn't get a timetable yet."

"Alice, right?" the teacher asked before answering. The girl nodded. "Well, to be honest, all of them," the teacher replied as if it were no big deal, "Except for your life role classes, those will be handled by another teacher."

Now, small chatter filled the room, mainly between Lola and Hana, and Yuuki and Alice. 

"Girls, girls, keep it down!" the teacher cried as the noise began to escalate.

"But Miss Applebee, that isn't us!" Hana exclaimed, pointing to the door.

With a string composure, the young woman leaned against the door, pressing her ear to the fogged window. "I didn't think it'd happen so soon..." she whispered to herself."

The only boy in the glass, a freckled red head hiding behind thick rimmed glasses, finally lifted his head from his desk. "Narnie, what's going on?"

"Class, could you all make your way to the supply closet?" 

"Miss Applebee? What's going on?"

Before she could answer, the principal's terrified voice came over the intercom. "Rockford lockdown! I repeat, Rockford Lock down!"