Incarnate

Chapter 2

If there was anything Lola Swayze honestly learned about life that first day of school, it was that you learn a lot about a person when locked in a small closet together.  

The four by five foot room was a tight squeeze to begin with, the addition of seven people made it impossible. The air seemed to grow thin, and while the tension grew thick.

"What's going on Lo?" Hana whispered in her friends ear in a tone so quiet, a pin crashing to the ground could have overpowered her voice. 

Lola shook her head. "No idea... Miss Applebee? What's going on?"

The teacher hushed her, and shook her head. "Keep quiet. I'd say it's best we don't know."

Fighting her own desire for answers, Lola nodded. Despite her curiosity, Miss Applebee was right. It was much better to be safe than sorry.

Alice stood in the far corner of the tiny room, quickly becoming more and more anxious. She continually crossed and uncrossed her arms, chewed on her bottom lip, and hunched her shoulders in and forward. Quick, short breaths escaped her lungs, and panic began to fill her green eyes. "It's little in here, isn't it? Almost like a cage..." she whispered, her voice trailing off into nothing.

The freckled, red head boy stood in the opposite corner and shrugged nonchalantly. "It's not so bad. I've had bedrooms smaller than this, eh Narnie?" he said, not bothering to lower his voice to a safe level.

"Shut up Carlton." Miss Applebee hissed.

An hour passed in silence before anyone even such much as flinched, Alice began to calm down, mentally adjusted to the small room, Yuuki had dozed off while leaning against a cabinet, while the final girl, a pretty title thing with the dark aura and an appearance to match kept her distance from the others, as much as one could while locked in a supply closet.

"I wonder what's going on..." the dark haired girl asked, "we've been in hear for ages. You'd think if what they were looking for was here, they would have found it by now."

"She's right." Lola said, a little louder than she should have. "Unless if a school shooting, what she says makes sense. Besides, there were no gun shoots, if they were, Hana'd be a quivering pile of sweat."

"Rena, keep quiet, I can only assume they'll let us out soon." Ms. Applebee said softly.

She was right. The principle called through the intercom "Return to normal Rockford. Second period is half way through. 

****

Students began to flood the hallways and talk loudly amount themselves about the panic. While most students were shaken and still rather worked up, no one was more upset than Mary-Lynn Evans. 

Mary-Lynn had a horrible habit of exaggerating stories to the point of being equal to a daytime soap opera. The bad things were made as tragic as Romeo and Juliet, the good as overly joyful as a child on a sugar rush. 

Being the only junior with double d's and pink streaks in her black curls, Lola spotted her instantly as she ran down the hall. 

"Lola! Hana! I'm freaking out here!" she cried as she finally reached her friends. Her entire body shook as she spoke, and goosebumps covered her tanned arms. 

"What's wrong?" Lola asked half-heartedly. A part of her didn't want to know, yet, a part of her was curious. There was always a slither of truth in Mary-Lynn's words, no matter how small. 

"You don't know?" Mary-Lynn asked in shock. Lola and Hana shook their heads. "They started rounding up all the girls, every single one, and held these little scanners that went 'boop' 'boop' 'boop!' I think they were trying to suck the life out if me!" She pressed the back of her hand to her forehead. "I feel faint!

"Mar, come down--

"There's nothing wrong with you!"

"How do you know?
As Lola and Hana tried, and failed, to calm down an irrational Mary-Lynn, Miss Applebee slipped back into the classroom, chewed her bottom lip and nervously watched over her students through the opn door,

"It's them, isn't it Narnie?" Carlton asked as he entered though the other door. "They're already here, aren't they?"

Ms. Applebee nodded. "There's no denying that, Carl... We start work tonight, I want as many of them as I can with us by Monday morning. Go get Diana. I need her on this, stat!" she demanded in a hushed voice. "And tell her I told her so, we found them first."