Without You There is No Me

New Year's Eve 2009

“Come on Jenny, we need to leave for Jared’s party,” John said impatiently.

“John, it literally takes two seconds to walk over to Jared’s from my house. I just need to finish my resolution list and then we can head over,” Genevieve said as she finished writing the last word on her list. “Ok, I’m ready.”

John smiled as he kissed his girlfriend. “You look beautifully tonight.”

“Why thank you. You don’t look too bad yourself. So have you written your resolution list yet?” Jenny asked as they began to walk across her yard to get to Jared’s house.

“Yeah, I’ve written a few things.”

“Well, what’s on it?”

“Oh…uh…just stuff,” John stuttered.

“Stuff? Way to be vague, John.”

“Aren’t resolution lists like wishes? If you talk about them they won’t come true.”

Genevieve laughed. “I don’t think so but if you don’t want to tell me your resolutions that’s fine. I still love you.”

“And I love you,” John smiled, kissing Genevieve as they walked into Jared’s house.

“Great, the lovebirds are here,” Garrett muttered.

“Hey, don’t blame us just because you’re single and bitter,” John laughed.

“Last year you two were single and bitter,” Garrett retorted.

“But then we had our New Year’s kiss and look at us now,” Genevieve smiled.

“Hey! I’m the one that told you guys you should meet. I think I should at least get a little credit for your relationship,” Jared said.

John shook his head. “Nope, it was the kiss.”

“So if I kiss Genevieve tonight I’ll be happy next year?” Garrett asked.

“Kiss Jenny and I’ll kill you,” John threatened.

Genevieve laughed at her boyfriend and friends. “Stop arguing boys there’s a party going on and I want to have some fun.”

Genevieve and the guys spent the rest of the night dancing, drinking, and having fun. As midnight approached Genevieve noticed that John kept fidgeting and seemed nervous.

“Are you okay?” Genevieve asked her boyfriend.

“What? Oh yeah, I’m…umm…I’m fine,” John nervously said and then continued. “Can you come outside with me for a few seconds?”

“John it’s only a couple minutes until midnight.”

“This will just take a couple minutes, I promise.”

Genevieve nodded and followed John outside.

John took a deep breath and began, “Earlier when you asked what was on my resolution list I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want you to find out what was on it yet. I wanted it to be a surprise. Number one on my resolution list is for you to no longer be my girlfriend. Genevieve Lewis I love you so much. I’ve come to realize that my life is pointless without you. Without you there is no me,” John paused and sank down to one knee as he pulled a box from his pocket. He opened the box to reveal a diamond ring. “Jenny will you marry me?”

Genevieve gasped and immediately started crying. She couldn’t answer John but nodded her head vigorously and threw her arms around him.

They heard the shouts of people counting down from inside but they were in their own world. The people yelled “one” and John and Genevieve smiled at each other.

“Happy New Year, John.”

Happy New Year, Jenny. I promise you’ll never be lonely again.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit