Without You There is No Me

New Year's Eve 2011

“Jared, I refuse to go to your New Year’s Eve party tonight,” Genevieve groaned as she once again told Jared that he didn’t want to go to his party. He’d been trying unsuccessfully for the past hour to get her to come to his party but she refused to budge.

“Why not?”

“That’s a dumb question. You know perfectly well why I won’t go. I know John’s going to be there and I don’t want to see him.”

“Genevieve,” Jared sighed. “It’s been a year. Can’t you guys stand to be in the same room together yet?”

Genevieve could feel the tears coming and she scolding herself for still crying over John even though it had been a year since their breakup. “It’s still painful Jare. We were engaged for crying out loud. You can’t just make those types of feelings disappear.”

“I understand, I really do. It’s just that everyone misses you and wants to see you. Plus I’ll feel bad if you’re sitting home alone on New Year’s Eve.”

“I won’t be alone. I’ll have Ben and Jerry,” Genevieve joked.

Jared laughed but turned serious once again. “Please Jen, just come for a little while. If you’re not having fun then you can leave.”

Genevieve sighed. “Fine, I’ll come over for a little bit. Just a little bit though and the second I see John I’m leaving.”

“Great, see you soon,” Jared excitedly said before hanging up the phone.

Genevieve went to her closet and searched for something to wear. She finally decided on a black dress with some simple black shoes. The only color she was wearing came from her red earrings. Her goal for the night was to blend in. She didn’t want to call any attention to herself or have anyone notice her. She especially didn’t want John to notice her.

Genevieve began making her way over to Jared’s house when she began to wonder if John had another girlfriend. She knew she would break down if John was there with someone else. She figured Jared would have warned her though if John was seeing someone else. According to Jared John was a mess just like she was.

Genevieve walked through the door and immediately saw Kennedy.

“Hey Genevieve, it’s been a while,” Kennedy said as he hugged her. “Pat and Garrett are out back. I’m sure they’d like to see you. Why don’t you go say hi?”

Genevieve made her way out to the backyard but didn’t see Pat and Garrett anywhere. She did see John though standing there with a guitar. Right in that moment Genevieve realized she had been tricked.

Seeing John again made Genevieve’s heart ache. She missed him like crazy but couldn’t forget how he’d let their relationship fall apart.

“This was a mistake. I knew I shouldn’t have come,” Genevieve muttered as she began to head back towards the house.

“Wait!” John called out. “I know I was incredibly selfish and only thought of myself during our relationship but I swear I’m trying to change. Nothing will ever make up for what I did but I’m trying to be a better man. Please just listen.”

John began to strum on his guitar never taking his eyes off Genevieve and soon began to sing.

Before I go please know I'm trying
Trying to be a better man
Before I leave please don't get angry
Just dry your eyes and take my hand

I will make this right, oh I will try
Jenny, don't you cry
Close your eyes
Everything is gonna be alright
You're so young and still so free
Jenny, take my hand
I understand
I will try to be a better man
Without you there is no me
Jenny.

There is a boy
Inside me runnin'
From a man I've yet to meet
I see his face, it only scares me
I hope things change eventually

Jenny


As the song ended Genevieve wasn’t able to speak because of the tears running down her face.

John came over and wrapped his arms around Genevieve. “Jenny, I love you so much. I know I messed up but I would love a second chance even though I don’t deserve one. Throughout this past year I’ve seen that without you there is no me. I’ve been a mess. This year has been unbearable and I can’t imagine going through my whole life without you. On my resolution list this year was to do whatever I needed to get you back. Jenny, I love you and I need you.”

Genevieve wiped her eyes. “I love you and need you too. I forgive you. I just want you in my life once again.”

John smiled and pulled the engagement ring out of his pocket. “Will you wear this again?”

Genevieve nodded. As John put the ring back on her finger she thought about how she didn’t hate being called Jenny or New Year’s Eve anymore and it was all thanks to John.

John leaned down towards Jenny so they could once again share a New Year’s Eve kiss. They both knew they would have many more New Year’s Eve kisses together for the rest of their lives.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit

I know this song is about John's mom but I wanted to make it into a love story instead.

Hope you enjoyed!