Status: Active. Comments make me a very happy writer! <3

Almost Lover

Did I Make It That Easy

Okay, so maybe the rings were a little cheesy. Under any other circumstance, I would have bluntly said no. However, this wasn’t just some regular situation. It was a Valentines Day present for someone who meant the world to me. Stryker is my best friend, he’s my rock. He is someone who came into my life at a young age, and has quite literally turned my world upside down. I honestly didn’t believe that I could ever fall in love with someone else.
But he made me fall in love with him. That stupid, confident, basterd made me fall fucking hard for him without even realizing that he was doing so. I can’t explain how my mind wonders why all of the time. Simply, I have no idea how this relationship came along so quickly. It just happened. I know that’s a weird thing to really say one’s relationship but it did. It just happened. That’s the thing with being so close to someone for so long, I suppose. From the start Stryker and I were closer than friends should have ever been.
I still feel slightly weird holding his hand in school. I figured that I would take it the best, but I find it weird. I guess it’s because I haven’t had a real boyfriend in God knows how long. Thinking about how people stare at us sometimes makes me wonder what goes through their heads. I wonder if some people saw it coming or if they were shocked. I know that it doesn’t matter really, but I do wonder. Stryker squeezed my hand tightly, and I turned to look at him. I gave him a really confused look. He returned the look. I wanted to ask him what he was doing, but he ended up laughing at me. I was even more confused now that we were stopped.
“We’re you planning on actually going into your homeroom or...” He trailed off, still snickering.
I tilted my head a little bit before I looked around us. We were just a few feet beyond the open door in which other students were filing into.
“Oh…”
“Babe, are you okay?” Styker sighed. “You seem really out of it today.”
“I was just thinking.” I admitted.
“You were over-thinking,” He rolled his eyes. “I was asking you an important question, and you were just sort of walking with this far off look.”
I chewed on my lip.
“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean too.” I apologized. “What were you asking?”
Stryker shrugged.
“We’ll have to talk about it later. I have to get to my own homeroom.”
“Alright,” I nodded, accepting a quick kiss from him before I walked into the classroom I accidently walked past. He waved at me before disappearing around the corner. I walked into the classroom, and I found Chad sitting by himself as usual. I laughed, and slid into my normal seat beside him. He smiled when he saw me, and the bell rang. Our homeroom teacher was a rather strict man. He didn’t like when we got to loud or talked after the bell rang. After grade 10, we quickly found this out. We haven’t really talked ever since.
“Today you are getting a slip of paper for your photo times to take the pictures for your superlatives.” He instructed poorly.
“Great,” I heard Chad mutter under his breath.
Mr. Monotone, as we liked to call him, passed out our pieces of paper to everyone. I got one, and I looked down at it. I was slightly shocked. I looked back up at Mr. Tony, his real name, and I raised my hand. He walked back to me, allowing me to speak.
“Sir, I don’t understand,”
“You simply pick which one you would rather win.”
“I think I would have to talk to…um…er…my boyfriend first.” I spoke lamely.
“Your business with your significant other is none of my staffing interest.” He stated professionally. “But, personally speaking, the best friend category is much more fitting. Just tell the photographer tomorrow when you go for pictures.” He said before walking away.
I stole a glance at Chad before we traded pieces of paper. Oh course he would win Most Atheltic. I was still slightly shocked that Taylor and Chad didn’t even qualify for the Cutest Couple category. I would have voted for them in a heart beat, but I didn’t. Like a selfish son of a bitch, I voted for Stryker and myself. I told myself that I wouldn’t, but I honestly didn’t want to vote for anyone else. I thought that it would be cute to actually be in the yearbook with someone I loved rather than him just being looked at as my best friend.
Oddly enough, Stryker and I won that one to. I was rather confused about that one. There were people who were even better best friends, almost sister or brothers, didn’t win it. I don’t know what makes the two of us the most special. It’s all trivial really. Does winning a stupid school award make us that much better than anyone else? No, it doesn’t. I think it’s dumb and lame. It’s not worth getting worked up over, but it’s pretty cool we won.
“Which one do you want the most?” Chad asked me the second we walked out of our homeroom.
I shrugged.
“I don’t know really.”
“Well…which one did you vote for yourself for?” He asked, laughing.
I blushed a little bit.
“Honestly?”
“No, I want you to lie,” Chad chuckled.
“The Cutest Couple one,” I sighed. “But I don’t know which one Stryker voted for.”
“Which one would you rather have a caption on it?”
“Please don’t make me say it out loud,” I playfully begged.
“That’s all the confirmation I need,” He laughed.
Chad was right. I really did want to be under the Cutest Couple. I don’t know why, but if felt like some huge compliment to have won. It made me feel good knowing that our relationship wasn’t all that bad. People were accepting us, even if some weren’t that nice, the majority were okay with it. It was kind of reassuring to kind of see that.
I stood outside of my homeroom, waiting for my boyfriend to meet me. I smiled at people, and even waved at the ones who waved first. It didn’t take him long to show up with a small smile on his face. I smiled widely, and wrapped my arms around him. His lips puckered playfully in wait for a kiss. I laughed before pressing a small one to his lips. His hands gripped my wrist that were oddly enough wrapped around his neck.
“You’re in a better mood.” He stated.
I shrugged my shoulders.
“I suppose.” I paused. “What were you asking me earlier?”
“It…it can wait,” He sighed. “Come on, we’ve got second to get too. I can’t be late again.”
Stryker took my hand into his and pulled me along behind him. I was still a little worried about whatever he had asked that I completely missed.



As soon as Stryker and I got home from school, his lips attacked mine. I didn’t understand what was going on at first. We hadn’t even made it out of my car. I just took off my seat belt, and I turned to look at him. It took me completely by surprise. I didn’t know that he was going to kiss me like that. It was confusing as hell, but I went with it. There was no way in Hell I was going to refuse him.
He pulled away only for a second to look over my frazzled expression before his lips were pressed back against mine a moment later. My hands found his hair. I tugged eagerly on the black strands, making my boyfriend moan softly. I didn’t think about how easy it would be for someone to find us in this position. We were sitting in my car, outside of my house, in broad daylight. If he had something planned, it wasn’t thought through clearly.
“Babe…” I trailed off when his lips moved from mine to my jaw line then down my neck. “Stryk…come on now,”
“Unf,” He mumbled, choosing a space to plant his lips.
I let out a small breathy gasp.
“Styker, seriously, not here,” I stated.
Finally he pulled away and looked up at me. Blue eyes met green, and he furrowed his brows. I was trying so hard to read all of the emotions running through him, but I couldn’t pick up on a single one. He just looked at me, and took a deep breath. Somehow, we had managed to move to the back seat where we could stretch out some more. His hands were gripping my hips tightly, and I was trying to catch my breath.
“Okay,” He nodded before opening the back door, and slowly blacking out of it. He rested his arm against the door and stared at me. I felt awkward just sitting there like an idiot. He smirked at me while it took me a minute to realize that he was holding the door open for me. I slipped out of the back of my car.
My boyfriend, gripped my wrist before pulling me back into him. Stryker wrapped his arms around my neck, and hugged me close. I was even more confused. He nuzzled his face into the crook of my neck. I felt the chills run up and down my neck along with worry growing in the pit of my stomach. He has been acting way too weird today. I know that I kind of zoned out, but he had been that way a little bit before then.
I had really no other way to react to his hug other than wrapping my arms back around him just as tightly. I bent my head a little bit so that it was beside his ear. I pressed a soft kiss to his cheek, and hugged him tighter to me. Whatever was bothering Stryker, wasn’t going to come out anytime soon, and I knew this. It was pretty obvious. It just sucks that I won’t know until he is one-hundred percent ready to tell me.
“What’s wrong?” I asked anyway, regardless of knowing he wouldn’t tell me. “Boo, what’s got you so fucking worked up today?”
Stryker sighed before pulling away to look at me in the eyes.
“Nothing, Ash,” He smiled slightly. “I’m just a little over-whelmed, I suppose.”
“With what?” I asked him softly.
“School,” He laughed. “We were voted Cutest Couple, ya know.”
“I know,” I nodded my head.
“We also won the best friends thing,”
“Yeah…” I trailed off.
“I voted for us for the Cutest Couple,” He sighed.
“Awe,” I smiled and pressed a small kiss to his lips. “That’s cute.”
“I didn’t think that we would actually win!”
“Is that why you are freaking out?”
“I suppose,” Stryker finally pulled away from me. His fingers played with my blonde hair slowly. I eyed him carefully. Finally, he sighed and nodded. “My mom calls it the kiss of death.”
“What?” I nearly laughed.
“She and my dad were voted cutest couple,” He admitted. “You see how that went right?”
I rolled my eyes.
“We are nothing like your parents?”
“Really, Asher? We’re not young, stupid, and in love?”
I shifted in the small amount of snow underneath my feet.
“Come on, let’s continue this inside. It’s rather cold,”
“Fine,” Stryker sighed, dropping his arms from around my neck. He shut my car door, and started to head into my house while I stood frozen. I didn’t mean to change the subject so rapidly, but I tend to do that when I get uncomfortable or someone starts to actually make sense. It’s like an automatic reaction. Stryker was making complete since. I didn’t want to really think about it. “All I’m saying is that there could be a possibility that things aren’t going to work out?”
I scoffed.
“Where did this negativity come from all of the sudden?”
“It’s not all of the sudden, Asher,” Stryker sighed, walking toward the cabinets in our house. He reached in and got out two mugs for what I assumed to be hot chocolate. It was really cold, and started snowing the later part of our school day. “I’ve been questioning it a lot recently.”
I chewed on my bottom lip.
“That’s what you were starting to pull away from me.” I stated. I didn’t need to question him at all. It was all really starting to make sense to me. It explained the pain glances whenever we would get too close or the stopping of the cute pet-names. Stryker was scared shitless, and I didn’t even see it. It made me feel like shit. Before everything else, he is my best friend first. I’ve known him for way to long to not know something was up. I let my stupid, insecure self get in the way of seeing that he was the one who was in pain.
“Let’s talk about this later,” He smiled, walking over toward me. My boyfriend kissed me lovingly before he disappeared upstairs to change into more comfortable clothing. I stared after him before my feet slowly moved. This conversation was over for now, but there was no way in hell that it was over for good. I know Stryker and once too much pressure gets to him, he snaps.
Now I just have to wait until he breaks.
♠ ♠ ♠
Stuff is going downnnnnnnnnnn...

Comment please? <3
Who is your favorites now?
Asher or Stryker or Ashker (both)

xoxo Rae