The Unknown

Pause.

Since the age of eight, Jack had felt replaced by the orphan girl who his mother and father had brought home, the six year old girl with pale skin, green eyes and black hair, the girl with the Irish accent, his mother and father even moved house to make room for the little intruder! She’d stolen all of his friends; she’d stolen his mother’s love and his father’s heart. Yet somehow the tiny intruder adored Jack, she followed him everywhere. He still hated her, until he met Ash, he and Ash became the best of friends. Jack was aware that Ash had seen Wren a few times, but Wren was only allowed to play in the back yard until she was at least eight years old, like her big brother.

Jack grimaced at the memories of his childhood. Then his expression softened…

“Jack I don’t think you should play outside today” Wren whispered in Jack’s ear
“Why not?” He scoffed as he tied his laces at the bottom of the stairs
“I saw you get hurt” She sat on the floor in front of him
“I’m fine Wren, honestly go play with your dolls or something.” Jack stood up and darted out of the door
Wren stood at the front door and watched Ash and Jack play.
Ash had run into his house to get something and Jack was running after a pigeon, they had been trying to catch it for a while now.

A single petal drifted past the door and past Wren’s face, she looked down then moved back, she was scared, Jack was going to get hurt, she’d warned him and he hadn’t listened, she turned to run up the stairs and back to her bedroom but she was too late, she heard the screeching tyres of the car as the driver slammed on his breaks, Wren spun round to see her brother laying underneath the Range Rover. The driver sped off out of sheer fright, Wren ran out to see if her brother was still alive.

“Jack!” She screamed and ran to his side, he was bleeding quite badly, his tall slender body was lying lifeless in the road, she fell to his side and screamed his name again.
She shut her eyes for a minute and listened carefully, she could hear the blood pumping through his veins and the beating of his heart and she heard his lungs inhale and exhale. She looked him up and down, for a nine year old he was tall for his age, he was a lot taller than her, she wasn’t very strong either but she felt she had to pick him up, she urged to pick him up, she knew she had no chance, but she didn’t want to disturb their parents, she closed her eyes again and began concentrating on her adoptive mother and father’s faces. Moments later they came running out. Jack had opened his eyes and he had just witnessed her ‘warning’ his mother and father.


That was the first time Wren had shown signs of being different.