Hitch Hiker

End

The police are outside and they stop us. They know we are not guilty because they can clearly see the person who is. John the hitch hiker is in an 18-wheeler truck. There is another truck facing the other way and tied between the trucks is Nash. The police can’t shoot John or his foot will come off the brake and the truck he is in will move. If his truck moves it will literally pull Nash apart.

Jim walks a little closer. He stares at John who smiles at him right before hitting the gas pedal on the truck. I throw up.

They take our statement at the police station. John is there locked up. We tell him his name but they say they don’t really have any other information on him. They decide to transport him to another jail. They drive us in a separate police car.

Jim knows they won’t be able to hold John so he decides there is only one way to put a stop to it. We have to take care of it ourselves and end this for good. He takes the cop’s gun who is driving. He kicks the cop out and we drive away to find John.

We don’t have to go far. John has freed himself from the police vehicle and jumps from it onto our windshield. Jim slams on the brake so suddenly that it spills John onto the road. I hit my head when we jolt to a stop and at first I am dazed. Everything is kind of foggy.

John is standing up now and Jim is trying to start the car. Finally the engine turns over and he hits the gas pedal. He slams the car right into John. My vision starts to clear as Jim climbs out of the car and picks up the gun that John dropped. As soon as John starts to sit up he shoots him. It’s finally really over. Jim climbs back into the car and wraps his arms around me.
---

No one can believe what we went through. Our families are so happy to have us home safe. I am happy to be home too but it’s weird. After going through what Jim and me experienced it changed things. We went through hell and survived. No one else could even imagine that. It changed us in a way. We are the only ones who can truly understand each other.

Jim starts a job where his brother works. I start school at a local community college. All of our big hopes and dreams get put on hold for a while. Things are different now.

Jim gets an apartment and invites me to move in with him. At first we are both still shaken up. I have terrible nightmares about the hitch hiker for a long time. Jim is able to comfort me though. He stays by my side all the time. When our lives start to get back on track and we start to move on we officially begin dating. Our families are happy for us.

A year after the hitch hiker incident we have enough money saved to go to California like we always wanted. This time we take a plane there and we avoid strangers. It’s incredible. I am able to smile and laugh and enjoy my time with Jim. Things are better now.

We eat dinner by the water. Fireworks are going off in the sky. “I love you Cate. We’ve known each other for what seems like forever. There is no one in this whole world like you. I can’t imagine being without you. We’ve been through so much together, some things that other people couldn’t even begin to imagine. We are the only ones who can understand each other and I know we’re meant to be together forever. Will you marry me?” he drops to one knee in front of me and pulls out a ring.

I stare with wide eyes. Tears start to spill down my face but they are happy tears. “Yes, of course I’ll marry you Jim.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The end

Thanks for reading. I really appreciate comments.