The Boy and His Guitar

Chapter 1: A Fate by Chance

There was just something about him, maybe the fact that his parents had chosen to name him Fox subconsciously turned me on. I guess there’s just something audacious about it. Normally parents don’t want to screw up their first child, but it seems as if the Renards tried their hardest with him. No wonder Fox is an only child.

“What are you? Day dreaming about that animal again?”

“Of course not!” I looked over at my new best friend. According to Blythe, unlike every other girl in this town, she loathed Fox. I’d uncovered that at one point, the two were surprisingly friends. That was before she decided he needed to be locked in a cage.

It had been right after I met Fox up in that tree. Apparently I had a stupid smile on my face when Blythe had come over and said, “You must have met the animal.” It was from that moment on that the two of us became friends. We quickly found out that I would be attending the same school as her and our friendship had moved to the next level almost as quickly as it started.

“Good, that boy is a wild animal,” She scoffed, “No manners. He doesn’t even care about anything other than his stupid guitar. Carries that thing around like it’s his lifeline.”

Normally I’d probably be pretty pissed off if someone talked about Fox like that, but when Blythe did it, it was just plain funny. It’s not like I was in any position to be offended for Fox anyway, we weren’t even friends.

“You little liar!” Blythe smacked me rather hard on the arm, “You are thinking about him, bitch!”

“I wouldn’t be thinking about him if you would stop talking about him!” I yelled back semi lying. So maybe I would be thinking about him still. I looked at Blythe and she seemed to realize there was nothing she could do to get me to stop thinking about him either. Out of nowhere we both erupted in fits of laughter at the same time.

“I hope he gives you some kind of weird disease… maybe rabies or something wild animals contract,” she choked out trying her hardest to be serious, “I’m just letting you know I hate you. I hope you and Fox have strange little Fox babies.”

“Haha, very funny.” The truth was, he hardly knew I existed.

“Aurelie?” My brother appeared in my doorway leaning against the frame and crossing his arms across his chest. “Are you two alright? You guys look like mutant tomatoes. Anyway, I’m going out now, I’ll probably be bringing some friends around later so don’t freak out when your hair isn’t perfect.”

“You’re just hilarious Cam, really? Just get out of here!” I threw a pillow right at his face in which he caught and threw back. He turned around and exited my view before muttering something along the lines of warning and being a good brother.

Next to me Blythe shifted in her spot letting out a sigh. “I don’t understand. You like rabid Fox when you’ve got your hot brother around. Who needs to be thinking of that animal when you’ve got perfection living under the same roof?”

“You’re disgusting!” I threw the pillow at her and we both broke into loud laughter again.

---

A little while later I heard the sound of laughter coming from downstairs. Blythe had left an hour or so ago so it must mean my dear brother was home and he had brought friends. I got up and walked over to my mirror flattening down any flyaways. So what if I wanted to look good? We had just moved here and I wanted to make sure I made a good impression on any potential boyfriend material. You can’t blame a girl.

I walked down the stairs cautiously trying to make out any of the guys before I presented myself. “Hey! Aurels, did you fix your hair? Come over here.” I was so going to kill him later.

I walked over to him at an extremely slow pace watching Cam carefully. I must have been walking too slowly for his liking though because he grabbed me around the shoulders and pulled my body right into his. “Aurelie, this is Colton, and over there is Ryder.”

Colton was extremely cute, bright green eyes, disheveled golden ash hair, and two dimples to die for… dimples to die for… Colton was smiling at me! And look at his teeth… how perfect and white. “Dude, you didn’t tell me you had a cute sister.” I could die and go to heaven right now.

“Lay off mate, if you scare the bird we’ll never be invited over again,” I looked over to where Ryder had made himself comfortable on the other couch in the corner. While Colton seemed to be all happy-go-lucky, Ryder seemed to be the opposite. Ryder looked like the type of guy who went along with everything, but was always thinking, observing. Something about him told me that this was the guy who’d go to a party and by the end know everything about anyone just simply by watching.

He looked at me, his gaze sharp, “I’m Ryder” He said simply, an accent evident in those two simple words. Something about the way he was looking at me sent a shiver down my spine. He probably drove girls wild with a single look.

I was about to open my mouth when I heard the voice behind me, “Introductions, huh? Well, I already know you Aurelie,” I spun around quickly looking at his gorgeous face, “But I’m Fox incase you forgot.”

How could I ever forget?