Status: Expect a new chapter this weekend! :D

I Left My Heart In Huntington Beach

Chapter 13

Nicole’s POV:

It’s been about a week since the mishap at the restaurant. I still am not convinced that guy worked for the newspaper. I know better. But I’ve decided to let it go, it’s not worth fighting over.

“Here you go Snickers.” I smiled as I bent down to pour Snickers her food. I've always been jealous of my dog; or dogs in general for that matter. They get everything handed to them.
They never have to worry about anything except where they are going to the bathroom next or when their next meal is going to be. They have it so easy and they don’t even know it.

I sighed and pet Snicker’s soft little head. She barked in response and licked my cheek.

“Ew.” I giggled and poked her nose. I heard my phone ringing in the distance and I broke into a little jog to catch it in time. And though I didn't want to admit it, I really wanted to see if it was Brian. I haven’t talked to him since he took me home that night from the restaurant. He seemed to be doing that a lot actually. It’s like he would fall off the face of the
earth for 3 days and then magically appear again.

I never got an explanation or anything. But I didn’t want to nag him on the subject. I wasn’t that kind of girl. Then again, I didn’t know what kind of girl I was anymore.

My heart sank a little when I looked at my phone. It wasn’t Brian. It was a number that I didn’t even recognize, with an area code of 323. I usually never pick up numbers that I don’t know, but something told me to answer. So I did.

“Hello? Oh my gosh Shauna! How are you?"

Shauna’s my older sister. And we are as opposite as opposite can get. She was tall, beautiful, smart and athletic. She always had friends and boyfriends. And while I was worrying about keeping my 4.0 GPA, she was busying worrying about what dress to
wear to prom. My sister married a very rich man about 7 years ago named Rick, and they have a cute little daughter that I’ve only seen pictures of.

I moved out here to Huntington after my sister’s wedding and haven’t seen her since. What an amazing sister I am, I don’t even know my own sister’s phone number.

"Wait, you're coming here? Oh, okay I'll see you in a few!"

I set down my phone, wondering why now all of a sudden my sister decided to get in touch with me.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Coming!” I yelled as I jogged to answer the door. I opened the door and came face to face with my sister.

“Nicole!”

I smiled as she pulled me in to a tight hug and began saying over and over how much she missed me. We pulled back and looked at each other. My sister was 35 and she still looked like she was 20. She was even more beautiful now than she had been on her wedding day.

“You look amazing Shauna.”

“You don’t look to shabby yourself baby sis. Nice place you got here to.” She smiled back.

“Thanks.” It surprised me that Shauna had complemented my apartment. My apartment looked like a shack compared to the mansion she lived in.

I lowered my eyes to see a small little blonde girl will bright blue eyes. She was clinging tightly to Shauna’s leg and sucking on her thumb, staring at me with a mixture of confusion and fear.

“ Whose this?” I smiled at the little girl, trying to reassure her that I wasn’t going to hurt her.

“Nicole, this is Bella.”

I looked up at my sister confused. Was I supposed to know this little girl? I shook my head a little hoping my sister
would get the hint.

“Nicole.” She choked out a laugh. “This is my daughter. Remember? The one you’ve seen pictures of?”

“Oh. Oh my gosh.” I smiled a little wider at the little girl now, remembering who she was.

“Took you a while.” My sister laughed.

“Well the last picture I saw of her she was only 6 months. How old is she now?”

“3, gonna be 4 in April.”

“Hi Bella. I’m Nicole, your aunt.” I got onto my knees and held my hand out to Bella. She clutched her bunny tighter to her chest and scurried behind her mom’s legs.

“Bella,” Shauna cooed. “It’s okay. Auntie Nicole won’t hurt you.” She stepped aside so Bella
and I were face to face once again.

“You look just like your mommy.” I said, trying to smile the nicest, non creepiest smile I could hoping Bella would trust me. She giggled a little, poking my outreached hand with her bunny.

“I’ll take that as a hello. So what are you guys doing here?” I asked, getting up off the ground.

“Uh, sis I have a huge favor to ask.” Shauna said, looking scared. I’ve never seen my sister look so cautious in her entire life.

“Okay, what is it?”

“Bella baby, why don’t you go watch some TV while me and Auntie Nicole talk.” Bella looked up at her mother with wide eyes.

“She can play with my dog if she wants.”

“Alright Bella, why don’t you go play with Auntie Nicole’s dog.” Bella still looked hesitant, but she had a little smile on her face and her grip around her bunny had loosened.

“Here let me go get her.” I walked over to my bedroom, opening the door. Snickers shot out of the room so fast she ended up sliding all the way across the floor to Shauna and Bella.

“She’s really friendly just a little crazy.” I said through my laughter. Bella giggled and handed Shauna her bunny as her tiny hands began petting snickers. Shauna kissed Bella’s head before setting the bunny on the kitchen counter and following me out
to the balcony.

“So what’s up?” I asked, closing the sliding glass door behind us.

Shauna looked hesitant. She took a deep breath before taking a seat in one of my crappy, plastic chairs. I really need to invest in a better set of chairs for out here. These ones have definitely run their course.

“Well we’re in town for the week.”

“That’s great, we should get together. Like go to dinner or something.”

“Nicole, we aren't here for fun.” She said with a harsh tone.

“Oh.” My smile fell as I began to feel a little hurt that my sister wasn’t in town just to visit me. But did I really have room to talk? This was my first time seeing her in almost 8 years.

“Yeah, uh, me and Rick are having some problems and mom recommended us to this amazing marriage counselor here in Huntington.”

“What's going on? He doesn’t hit you or anything does he?” I asked becoming concerned.

“No, nothing like that. It’s about Bella.” Her eyes began watering.

“Bella?” I pulled out a chair and sat down, scooting closer to the table and grabbing one of Shauna’s hands as the tears began to trickle down her face.

“He calls Bella a mistake. She wasn’t planned or anything and he’s angry that we had a kid so soon because he’s afraid that she’s interfering with business.”

“She’s 3 years old, how could she interfere?”

“He says he doesn’t have time to be a father.” She spat out before more tears came flowing out.

“Shauna I'm so sorry.” I stood up and walked around the table, pulling my sister into a tight hug.

“I really hate him sometimes Nicole. There are days I wish I’d never married him.” She mumbled into my shoulder as I rubbed her back.

“What do you need me to do?”

She stepped back, wiping her eyes. “I was wondering if you would watch Bella for me while Rick and I attend counseling this week.”

“Of course. I’ll watch her for as long as you need me to.”

“I know this is a huge favor to ask, I’m sorry.”

“No Shauna it’s no problem at all. Really, she seems like a great kid.”

“Thank you Nicole. I owe you big time.” She smiled a little before pulling me into another tight hug.

“Don’t worry about it.”

“Mommy!”

Shauna and I pulled away to see Bella run to the sliding glass door and begin knocking on it.

“What is it baby?” Shauna asked as she wiped her eyes again and opened the door.

“Someone is at the door.”

“Were you expecting someone today?” Shauna asked looking at me confused.

“No.” I said, looking just as confused as her.

“Hey, do you have a kid that I don’t know about?” A deep voice asked from inside. I furrowed my brows as I stepped into the house, wondering who Bella had just let into my
apartment.

It took a moment for my eyes to adjust from the sunlight. I saw him standing there, dressed in the leather jacket that he always wore and the motorcycle boots I had bought him for his birthday. My heart leaped. I scolded it.

“Brian?”

“Hey. What’s with the kid?” he chuckled and pointed towards the balcony.

“Oh, that’s Bella. My sister’s daughter.”

“I thought she was yours.”

I just shook my head not really knowing what to say. See what I mean by the ‘drop off the face of the earth then magically appear again’ thing? He doesn’t call me for a week and then just shows up when he pleases, expecting me to act like nothing happened.

“So what are you doing here Brian?”

“No Biker Boy?” He teased, poking my sides. I took a step back, forcing my lips not to smile.

“Brian what do you want?” I repeated. I didn’t mean to be such a bitch, but when you hear that your sister’s husband is a total douche bag, you get a little angry.

He looked a bit hurt. “I was wondering if you wanted to come over to my house or something.”

“I wish I could but I can’t. I’m sorry.”

“Oh, that’s okay.” If he looked hurt a second ago, it was nothing compared to how he looked now.

“I’m sorry it’s just I have to look after my sister's daughter, Bella.”

“I could help you. I love kids.”

“Really? You didn’t sound like you did a second ago.”

“Well I do.”

“Brian I don’t know…”

“Nicole come on. I know how to take care of a kid.”

“I don’t know if my sister wants you around her kid.” Brian opened his mouth to speak, but was cut off.

“No that’s okay.” I turned to see Shauna stepping into the house while carrying Bella. She set Bella on the ground and she ran to play with Snickers.

“Who is this?” Shauna smiled in Brian's direction. This is not happening.

“This is Brian. Brian this is my sister Shauna.” I mumbled as they shook hands.

Brian was the last person I wanted Shauna to meet. God knows what she’s going to tell him. Not to mention how much questioning I’m going to have to go through with her next time we are alone. It will be a wonderful game of 1000 questions.

“It’s nice to meet you Brian. I’ve heard absolutely nothing about you.”

He chuckled. “Ditto.”

“Nicole it’s fine if he helps you take care of Bella. He looks trustworthy.” She noted while looking Brian up and down. I glared at Brian as he shot me an ‘I-told-you-so’ look.

“Don’t be fooled by looks.”

“You were always a feisty one baby sis.” Shauna sighed and patted me on the head. “Alright well let me go get the stuff for Bella and I’ll be back here in a few minutes.” She walked over to Bella, kissing her on the head before walking back over to me and Brian.

“Brian, it was a pleasure to meet you.” She smiled and shook his hand again.

“The pleasure’s all mine.” He said flashing her that infamous smirk. Oh yeah, I was definitely gonna hear it from her later.

“Be good.” She kissed my cheek before grabbing her purse off the kitchen table.

“Will do mommy!” I shouted after her as she flipped me off and shut the door. I set my hands on my hips and tilted my head back, sucking in the biggest breath my lungs could hold. I jumped when I felt a pair of lips on my neck.

“Brian stop.” I snapped before shoving him back.

“What?” he groaned.

“You don’t do that in front of a 3 year old.” I hissed, pointing towards Bella who was playing peek-a-boo with Snickers.

“Sorry.” He mumbled before setting his helmet on the table.

“Yeah, you're great with kids.” I rolled my eyes. I walked over to where Bella was playing with Snickers.

“Here Bella, let’s go watch some TV and wait for mommy to get back.” I smiled at her, taking her into my arms. I should have remembered from her terrified face that she wasn’t too sure about me still. But I guess I forgot, because the minute she realized it was me who was picking her up she began screaming and kicking her feet. Tears rolled down her flushed cheeks. The child was screaming so loud I thought all the windows in my apartment were going to break.

“Oh yeah honey, you really have a way with kids.” I heard Brian yell from the kitchen, mocking the tone I had used on him a few minutes ago.

I sighed and rolled my eyes, trying my best to ignore him.

“Bella it’s okay, Mommy will be right back.” I began patting her back hoping that would help, but it just made her scream louder and kick harder. I winced as I felt my ears deafening.

“Mommy!!!” She screamed as the tears continued to escape from her eyes.

“Bella it’s okay.” I sighed, becoming frustrated, and a little sad that my ears were never going to work the same again.

“Brian, do you want to come help me?” Trying to shout over Bella's screams was impossible.

“No I think you’ve got it under control baby.” I could hear the smirk in his voice.

“God dammit Brian if you don’t come help me with this child, I swear to god I will throw your bike off a fucking cliff!” I gasped, covering my mouth when I realized the words that had just come out of my mouth. Even Bella stopped screaming to look at me.

“Whoa, did you just cuss? Again?” Brian asked as his head popped out of the kitchen. I nodded my head, eyes still wide and mouth still covered. It was silent for a few seconds before Brian and Bella began laughing at me at the same time.

“Oh my god.” I still couldn’t believe what had just come out of my mouth. “Bella don’t ever repeat that again okay.” She was still giggling uncontrollably alongside Brian. I was a little embarrassed that they were laughing at me, but at least Bella wasn’t screaming anymore. I couldn't help but giggle a little along with them.

“Wow, Nicole.” Brian laughed, bending over at the waist trying to catch his breath.

“Shut up Brian.” I grumbled.

“I’m sorry.” He said, chuckling once more before walking over to Bella and I and kissing me on the forehead.

“Yeah sure you are.” I mumbled before handing Bella over to him and turning on the TV. I set the remote down just as there was a knock at the door. We all looked at each other as we broke out into another round of laughter.

“Come in!” I yelled, still laughing.

“Hey I’m back.” Shauna appeared in the doorway. “I can see Bella likes Brian.” She said smiling at the two of them. “Was she a good girl?”

I snorted as Brian and I looked at each other. “Yeah, she was an angel sis.”

“Good. Alright well here are some of her toys, clothes, food, and a couple books. I also left you some money in case you run out of food. She likes me to read this book to her every night, so you might wanna do the same.”

I nodded as she handed me the two diaper bags and the book. I smiled at the book. It was ‘Where the Wild Things Are’, my favorite book as a kid.

“Thank you again Nicole. This means so much to me.”

“Don’t worry about it Shauna.” I set the bags down on the couch before enveloping Shauna in another tight hug. She pulled away from the hug, smiling at me for a quick second before turning her attention towards Bella and Brian.

“As for you young lady, you be good for Auntie Nicole and Brian okay?” Bella nodded enthusiastically as Shauna pulled her out of Brian’s arms and gave her a quick hug and a kiss.

“Thanks again Brian, hope she doesn’t give you to much trouble.” Shauna said as she set Bella back into Brian's arms.

“I don’t think Bella will give us any trouble.” Brian said as Bella rested her head on his shoulder. I have to embarrass myself in front of the child for her to even think of liking me, but Brian just acts like an ass and shes in love with him. Wow, ironic. Maybe me and Bella are more alike than I thought.

" Oh, I wasn’t talking about Bella. I was talking about Nicole.”

Shauna slung her purse over her shoulder and smirked at me, before shooting out the front door.

“That bitch.” I whispered under my breath as Brian began laughing again. I growled and smacked Brian in the back of the head. “Stop laughing at me.”

“We are laughing with you baby not at you.” There was that stupid smirk again. Why did I ever think that was cute? I sighed and rolled my eyes before sitting down on the couch. I lay my head back, closed my eyes and took another deep breath.

What a day this has been so far. Saw my sister after almost a decade, found out I get to take care of a kid with the loudest scream I've ever heard, and that Brian is an ass. But I've kinda always known that last one.

“Babe I think she’s hungry.” I felt the couch sink next to me.

“Don’t call me babe.” I said without opening my eyes.

“Well then what do you want me to call you?” He chuckled.

“My name.”

“You got it Minnie Mouse.”

“Brian shut up!” I yelled, jumping from the couch. I have never acted like this in my life. I didn’t even have tantrums when I was a kid. But something about Brian was driving me crazy today, and not in a good way like he usually does.

“Sorry.” He laughed as Bella smiled up at him. That traitor.

Ignoring him, I searched through the bag Shauna had left and finally decided that Bella’s dinner would be peas, carrots and a banana that I found in the food bag. Although the peas really didn’t look like peas, it looked more like baby puke. I also found a Hello Kitty set in the food bag. This was going to look a little odd next to my china sets.

“Brian can you bring Bella in here? Her foods ready.”

I carefully cut up the carrots and banana. I poured Sunny D into the Hello Kitty cup, trying not to spill anything on my floor.

“One delivery of a Bella to a Miss Nicole.”

I chuckledf as Brian sat Bella down in one of the chairs, mussing up her hair. She giggled and squirmed in her chair.

“Um, Brian, do you notice anything wrong here?”

“No?” His eyebrows were furrowed in such a cute way, that I just had to laugh.

“Brian she’s not even eye level with the table. How is she supposed to eat?”

He pursed his lips and stared at Bella sitting in the chair, then at me, then back at Bella.

“Well at least I can get her to stop crying.” He stuck his tongue out at me and picked her up from the chair. He kissed her cheek before sitting down and setting her on his lap.

"Is this better super mom?"

I glared at him before setting the food in front of Bella.

“It’s perfect super dad.” I said in a sarcastic tone. I pulled a chair up next to Brian and picked up the fork, stabbing a few pieces of the banana. I smiled at Bella as I put it in front of her mouth. Why did I think that if this child wouldn’t even let me hold her, that she was going to let me feed her? She leaned back into Brian’s chest, crossed her arms and snapped her lips shut.

“Bella come on, please don’t do this. Just eat your food like a good girl.” I sighed trying to get her to eat the bananas again. It didn't work, Bella was just not having it.

“No!” she yelled and covered her mouth again, this time hiding in the crook of Brian’s neck.

I sighed. Okay Shauna owes me big time.

"Bella please don’t make me do airplane noises.” I mumbled, thinking back to all those
movies where I'd seen mothers make train or airplane noises to get their child to open their mouths and peacefully eat their food.

Her frown turned into an evil smile. “Ya, ya, airplane noise, airplane noise!” She cheered loudly while clapping her hands. That was not the right thing to say.

I couldn’t believe I was going to do this. I was going to make a complete fool of myself in front of the man I was considering to have sex with. If he ever holds this over my head I swear that man will never even see a pair of my underwear. Well, another pair since he’s already seen the purple lacy ones.

I took a deep breath.“Vrooom Vrooom Vrrooooom.” I swirled the fork in little circles.

“Nicole that is not an airplane noise.” Brian laughed, shaking his head at me.

“Well I don’t know how to make an airplane noise. Bella would you please just eat your food?” I pleaded with the evil, I mean cute, little girl in front of me.

“No!” she yelled again, shaking her head and sticking her tongue out at me. Great she was already learning from Brian. I groaned, laying my head down on the table. It hasn’t even been an hour and I’ve already given up with this child.

“Hey Bella, do you want me to read your favorite book?”

I lifted my head up off the table to see where he was going with this. She stared up at Brian with a sparkle in her eyes.

“Ya ya ya.” She smiled, bobbing her head up and down.

“Okay, if you want me to read to you, you gotta eat your dinner first.”

Of course he used the smirk on her. That smirk could make a choir girl kill. And sure enough, it worked. Bella yanked the Hello Kitty fork out of my hand and frantically shoved the banana into her mouth, chewing quickly. She began to eat so fast I was afraid she was going to accidentally eat the plate.

I tore my gaze away from Bella and lifted my eyes to look at Brian with a look that probably said ‘How did you just do that?’ and ‘I really hate you’. He shrugged a little, the smirk still present on his face.

I sighed and scooted back from the table. I stood up and slowly made my way to my room, wanting to do nothing more than fall asleep. And kill Brian, but sleeping was easier. And legal.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I groaned a little, stretching my arms above my head. I turned to look at the clock to see how long I’d been asleep. 10 minutes. Guess I had no choice but to face this day. I rose from the bed and hesitantly made my way into the living room.

“I'm Max. I'm an explorer. I traveled by sea. I used to travel by air.”

I crossed my arms, leaning on the door frame at the end of the hallway. I couldn’t help but smile. The sight in front of me had a million Kodak moments written all over it. Bella was sitting on Brian’s lap, his legs crossed on the coffee table and Bella’s crossed on top of his. She was holding one side of the book as Brian’s tattooed hand held the other.

They looked like they belonged in a magazine, the ones with the pictures of the families who look so happy it’s creepy. But they didn’t look creepy. They looked absolutely adorable. Bella giggled as Brian’s accents changed according to the different characters he read.

“You are now the king and you will be a truly great king.” Brian closed the book, setting it on Bella's lap and wrapping his arms around her little waist.

“Brian, you didn’t finish the book right.” Bella exclaimed as she threw her hands dramatically in the air.

“Oh really? How do you finish a book correctly?”

“You have to say the end!” She giggled leaning back into his chest and handing him the book again.

“Oh, that’s right.” He chuckled and pretended to slap his forehead, earning another giggle from Bella. “The end!” He exclaimed, setting the book down on the couch.

“I didn’t know you could read Biker Boy.” I smirked as Bella and Brian turned their attention to me.

“Oh ha ha Minnie Mouse.”

“Brian, that’s not Minnie Mouse, that’s Auntie Nicole.” Bella said and rolled her eyes. I chuckled, walking towards the couch. I set the book on the coffee table before taking a seat next to the two of them.

“Did Brian do a good job reading to you Bells?”

“Ya.” She nodded her head.

I smiled a little before laying my head on Brian's shoulder. I felt him lightly kiss my hair. Maybe this week wouldn’t be so bad after all. Maybe…