Status: A Work In Progress, slow updates

Saviour in a Misfit's Disguise

Chapter Five

I was peacefully dreaming of specks and elephants when a series of knocks on my door woke me up. I groggily stretched out my sore muscles and noticed I was still sleeping on my living room floor curled in a Nightmare Before Christmas fleece blanket. I glanced beside me and saw Sam laying on his stomach drooling a little on hit batman pillow he kept at my place for sleep overs. The knock sounded at my door again so I begrudgingly got up and made my way to the door. I fully expected it to be Joe to pick up Sam but who greeted me instead was a complete surprise.

“Uh. Hey.” Zack smiled a little as he rubbed the back of his neck

“Zack? What are you doing here?” I asked confused as I ran my fingers through my messy hair.

“Um I asked the women at the diner where you lived. I told her it was important so she told me I could find you here. She said her name was Anna. She said to tell you it’s about time you made friends.” he said with a small smirk at me.

“Oh. Of course she did. Well come on in. Don’t mind the mess.” I said as I moved away from the door so he could come in. He took off his shoes in the door way and followed me into the living room.

“You have a kid?” he asked surprised as he saw Sam lying on the floor.

“Oh no. That’s Sam my friend Joe’s son. He’s five and he’s the greatest kid I know.” I said with a warm smile down at Sam.

“He likes batman I take it.” Zack commented as he took in Sam’s pillow and onsies.

“Oh ya. He’s obsessed with it. Um so why are you really here?” I asked as I started to clean up the popcorn and juice that Sam and I ingested last night.

“Um…I’m not really sure actually. I was just at home and I was bored and wanted some company.” He said with a shrug as he shuffled his feet.

“Cool. I like company. I would have been bored here by myself once Sam went home.” I smiled at Zack as I picked up my blanket and pillows and went and dumped them in my room.

“Ellie?” I hear Sam’s tired slur coming from the living room. I walked in to see him rubbing the sleep from his eyes and his hair sticking up all over the place. Zack was smiling down at him and he coughed to hide his laugh.

“Morning little man. Did you have a good sleep?” I asked Sam as I scooped him up in my arms and gave him a hug. He snuggled into me and rested his head on my shoulder.

“Yeah I did. Mommy let me sleep over. I like when I can do that.” He mumbled as he held onto me.

“I like when you sleep over too little man. I like having you around.” I said as I sat him down and picked up his blanket and pillow as set them in the closet.

“Who’s he?” Sam asked as he caught sight of Zack standing in the middle of my living room.

“This is my friend Zack. Say hi Sammy.” I said as I introduced them.

“Hmmm. Hi.” Sam said skeptically as he looked up at Zack. I suppressed a laugh at Zacks facial expression.

“Hmm. You’re gonna be a tough one to win over Sir Sam. I would like to ask your permission to be friends with your Aunt Ellie.” Zack said as he got down to Sam’s level and looked him in the eyes.

“I suppose its ok. As long as it’s ok with Ellie. If you hurt her I will kick your butt.” Sam warned as he stared at Zack.

“I promise I won’t hurt her. If I do, you have my permission to beat me up.” Zack said trying to hide his smile from Sam.

“Then it’s fine with me. Can I have some breakfast Ellie?” Sam asked turning to me with a smile.

“Sure thing Sammy. What would you like?” I asked as we all walked into the kitchen and Sam took a seat at the table.

“Do you have pancakes?” he asked excitedly.

“No but I can make some.” I said taking a box of pancake mix out of the cupboard.

“I’ll make them. I make excellent pancakes.” Zack said as he grabbed my shoulders and made me sit at the table with Sam.

“Please don’t burn my kitchen down. I’m quite fond of my little apartment as it is.” I said as he looked in my cupboards for a big mixing bowl.

“No faith in me at all. I’ll have you know that I am an excellent cook. Just you wait.” He commented as he found all the necessary utensils and started to whip up the batter while the pan was heating.

“I’ll believe that when I taste it.” I said skeptically as I got up and took some plates out of the cupboard along with forks. I got juice out of the fridge and poured us each a glass of orange juice. I got the butter and syrup out as well. Once the table was set with the necessities I sat down with Sam and watched Zack make pancakes.

“Whoa that is so cool.” Sam cried as Zack flipped a pancake in the air. Zack and I laughed at Sam’s amazement.

“Show off.” I teased Zack from the table.

“What can I say. I was just born awesome.” He commented as he smirked at me.

“Right. Sure you were.” I said with a snort.

“You think he is awesome. You’re always saying Ellie that he’s your favourite from that band. You said he was the best looking one. You also said you loved his green eyes.” Sam said as he looked at me. Instantly I blushed like crazy and hung my head in embarrassment. I hear Zack choke and saw from the corner of my eye that he almost dropped the frying pan back on the stove. He looked over at me and he was smirking as I blushed even more.

“Right. Thanks for that Sam. Really thanks a lot.” I said sarcastically as I shook my head.

“So you think I’m good looking?” Zack teased as he looked at me.

“ A girl would have to be blind not to think that. Heck even a guy for that matter.” I said as I raised an eyebrow at him.

“This is true.” Zack agreed smugly.

“Conceited much?” I scoffed.

“Just honest and truthful. When enough people scream that you’re good looking you tend to believe them. Mind you I’m not a cocky asshole about it. I just like to tease you.” Zack flashed me a genuine smile as he made the last few pancakes.

“Zacky sore!” Sam yelled as he stood on his chair and pointed his finger at Zack. “You need to wash out his mouth with soap Ellie. He said bad words.”

I smiled evilly as I got up and grabbed the soap bar from by the sink. “You hear him Zack. You said bad words so you have to have your mouth washed out.” I said as I walked towards him with the soap in hand.

“Oh no way. You are not washing my mouth out with soap. I’d rather put change in the swear jar.” Zack said as he backed away from me after he had turned off the element and moved the frying pan.

“Get him Sammy.” I yelled as I made a move to grab Zack. He doged my attack and ran to the living room with both me and Sam after him. Sam tackled Zack’s legs and held onto them. Zack stumbled but caught himself before falling down. I made my move and managed to get right in front of him and the soap close to his face before the door opened. We were laughing so hard we never even heard it until Joe spoke.

“What the hell is going on here?” she asked confused as she took in the scene. Zack was standing with one arm’s around my middle and bending backwards in a dip fashion and holding my left wrist away from his face so the soap couldn’t get him and Sam was sitting on the floor with his arms and legs wrapped around Zack’s right leg.

“Zacky swore so we were trying to wash his mouth out with soap.” Sam explained as he clung to Zack.

Joe stood with her arms crossed, her eyebrow raised and her lips pursed. “Hmhmm. And Zacky is?”

“He’s Misfit from the diner, you know table three.” I explained still in Zack’s arms.

“And he’s here why?” Joe asked skeptically.

“He came over this morning to hang out.”

“Right.” She replied as she looked at Zack for the first time. She ran her eyes over him top to bottom before looking over at me and smirking. “For someone who never seems to be interested in guys you sure do manage to catch the eye of some really good looking men.” She remarked.

I stared at her in complete surprise while Zack made a strangled choking sound of surprise. He looked at me and seemed to notice that he was still holding me close. He quickly stood up and steadied me before letting go and stepping back before coughing awkwardly.

“Jesus Joe. Way to make it uncomfortable.” I scoffed as I pulled Sam up from the floor.

“It’s my job as an overprotective mother and friend. Nice to meet you Zack.” She said with a wink and a smile and picked up Sam. “Come on little man. You have a doctor’s appointment so we have to go. Say bye to Aunt Ellie and her friend Zack.”

“Bye aunt Ellie. Bye Zacky.” He said as he hugged me tight before hugging Zack’s legs. Zack was surprised but quickly hugged him back.

“Bye Sir Sam. See you again sometime.” He said as he let him go and ruffled his hair affectionately.

Joe smirked and winked at me before picking up Sam and walking out of my small apartment. Once the door closed we stood in an awkward silence before looking at each other and laughing.

“Well that was interesting.” Zack commented as his green eyes sparkled.

“Ya no kidding. Joe is a very interesting woman.” I said with a laugh.

“So breakfast?” he asked as he nodded in the direction of the kitchem

“Breakfast.” I agreed as I headed to the kitchen. I sat at the table and Zack joined me dishing a few pancakes onto both of our plates.

“Be prepared to be amazed.” He informed as he spread syrup on his pancakes.

“That confident in your abilities.” I asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Oh you have no idea.” He said with a suggestive eyebrow wiggle.

I laughed before taking a bite out of my pancake. They were warm, ligh, fluffy and so amazingly good. “My god these are good.”

“Told you.”

“I will never doubt your abilities again Mr. Vengeance.” I said as I smiled at him

He laughed as we sat and ate our delicious pancakes and talked about nothing and everything.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's short but it's an update. Enjoy