Status: A Work In Progress, slow updates

Saviour in a Misfit's Disguise

Chapter Eight

"Honestly that was a lot of fun." Johnny mused from his laying down position on my living room floor.
"Yeah it was. Never knew kids games could be so much fun." Zack agreed from his spot on the floor lying on his back.

"Actually Ellie invented the game." Joe ratted as her and Sammy cuddled on the couch.

"I did not. Well at least not alone. Sammy helped a lot." I said in my defense as I lay on the floor, my head resting on Zack's stomach and him playing with my hair.

"You really are just a big kid." Zack teased playfully pinching my cheek.

"So? I like to have fun and what's more fun that playing with an energetic five year old who knows how to make you laugh like no other?" I asked as I pushed his hand off my cheek.

"True enough. It was a mighty good time." Johnny agreed.

"I'm hungry mommy." Sam said from the couch before standing up and pulling his mom up too.

"Ok let's go see what aunt Ellie has in her fridge and cupboards." Joe said taking Sam's hand and leading him to the kitchen.

"Shouldn't the two of you be going home at some point?" I asked tilting my head to look at Zack.

"Eventually. But we like it here." Johnny answered.

"I don't want to cause trouble Z." I said frowning at him.

"Ell I told you not to worry about it. Gena and Brian can't dictate who I can and cannot be friends with. I want to spend time with you as does Johnny and even Matt and Val like you so the rest just have to get over it." he retorted playing with a strand of lose hair.

"But I feel bad."

"You don't have to. Your part of the group now whether you like it or not.” Johnny replied getting up off the floor and pulling me up with him and giving me a bear hug.

"If bear hugs are involved how can I complain." I smiled pulling away from Johnny.

"Aw what about me?" Zack whined flashing me puppy dog eyes. Damn did that ever look so cute with his sparkly green eyes.

"How could I resist that face." I teased wrapping my arms around his waist.

"No woman can." Zack retorted cheekily wrapping his arms around me and squeezing me close. I laughed and buried my head in his chest taking in the scent of him.

"You're so cocky Vengeance." I laughed.

"When you've got it, flaunt it." he remarked with a smirk as he looked down at me.

"Sure. You have it alright." I said sarcastically as I pulled out of his embrace. Zack just chuckled as he let me go. I smiled and sat on my couch and picked up a fast food menu.

"Did you find anything Joe? If not we can just order something." I said looking over the menu.

"No you don't have much in your kitchen." Joe said coming back into the room and sitting on the couch with Sam in her lap.

"Yeah I know. I have to go grocery shopping. Don't know with what seeing as I barely have money left over once I pay my bills. And now I'm off work for a bit because of my stupidity." I huffed lifting up my right wrist.

"I can lend you some money Ellie. Is told you this before." Joe said sincerely.

"I know Joe but I'm fine without it. I appreciate it but I don't need it." I said waving away her offer.

"Elliot Yale Winslow you are so damn stubborn. I'm trying to help you." Joe grumbled.

"I appreciate it but I don't need your help. I'm perfectly capable of looking after myself. Now what are we gonna order." I asked changing the subject.

"Can we have pizza aunt Ellie?" Sammy asked hopefully.

"Sure. If everyone else is fine with it then of course we can. You guys gonna stay for pizza?" I asked turning to Johnny and Zack.

"Of course. We never turn down an invitation for food and good company." Zack replied with a smile.

"Actually I have to get back home. Lacey will be wondering where I am. Bye Sir Sam and Lady Jolene. Bye Ellie." Johnny said getting up and giving me a hug.

"Bye Johnny." I said as he walked out of my little apartment.

"Won't Gena be angry with you Zack?" I asked turning to him.

"Most likely. But I'll deal with that when I go home. I'd like to stay if you don't mind having me." he said flashing me a charming smile knowing full well I wouldn't kick him out.

"You're welcome here anytime you'd like." I replied before turning to Joe and Sammy. "You three pick the pizza. Make sure it's the good stuff." With that I handed Sam the menu and walked into the kitchen to tidy up a bit and make us all some juice seeing as that's all I really had in the house. I was making a jug of ice tea when Zack walked in and stood behind me.

"So Elliot Yale Winslow what are you doing." He whispered from right behind me, his breath tickling my cheek.

"Well Zachary James Baker I am making some ice tea." I whispered back turning my head slightly towards him.

"Well look at that. You know my middle name." He whispered resting his chin on my shoulder his cheek pressed against my own.

"I'm just awesome like that Z." I shrugged causing his head to go up and down.

"That you are Ell. You’re not gonna tell me to move are you?" he asked wrapping his arms around my middle.

"I'm fine with you like this because I know we're just friends but others won't see it that way. They all think there's more between us than just friends. So I think it's best if we don't do this to much Z." I said as I stepped forward slightly.

“Everyone should mind their own business.” Zack grumbled as he squeezed me once more before letting his arms fall to his sides and leaning against the counter beside me.

“If it was Gena being this affectionate with a friend you wouldn’t be happy Zack. You’d be just as angry as she is right now. Zack I care for you, a lot, but I don’t want to cause trouble between you and your girlfriend or your friends. Zack their more important to you than I am. Please I want to be your friend but not if I cause you any problems.” I said as I stood in front of him and looked up into his green eyes.

“Don’t’ push me away Ell. Not now. I need you, and you need me. We help each other and everyone is going to have to accept that because I’m not letting you go anywhere.” Zack said sternly as he grabbed me in a hug and held me tight. He buried his face in my hair and I kept my face hidden in his chest letting a few tears fall.

“You have no idea what this means to me Zack. I’ve had no one be there for me for a long time and it feels good to have someone care again. I won’t push you away anymore Zack, but only if I don’t cause major problems.” I said as I squeezed him back.

“Don’t even start Ellie.” Zack said tightening his hold on me.

“Am I interrupting anything?” Joe asked as she entered the room.

“Just confessing our undying love for each other and wondering if eloping is the best option.” Zack said straight faced as I snorted with laughter.

“Hmm well good luck with that. I ordered the pizza and it should be her soon.” Joe said smiling as she walked out of the room us following with four glasses of ice tea.

“Movie?” I asked as I set the glasses down

“Yes! Can we watch the X-men movies? The two newest ones?” Sammy asked bouncing on my couch.

“Oh yes! I love those movies.” Zack said excitedly as he sat beside Sammy.
I laughed as I put the first one on and got comfortable on the couch with Zack and Sam. We were completely focused on the movie when the doorbell rang. I was about to get up and pay for the pizza when Zack pushed me down on the couch and headed for the door.

“Zack!” I yelled indignantly.

“My treat. Deal with it.” He retorted as he opened the door and paid the pizza guy. He came back smiling and holding the pizza in his hands and set them on the coffee table before sitting down. We all dug into the pizza and had a good time watching the movies. Sam absolutely loved Zack and Zack was very good with him. They sat there so focused on the movie that me and Joe were able to talk about them without them noticing. They were adorable together. Once we finished Joe and I brought everything into the kitchen to clean up and left Zack and Sam on the couch watching the movie.

“Zack’s a good guy.” Joe commented as she threw out the empty pizza box.

“Yeah he is. He adores Sam. They look cute together.” I said chuckling as I put the empty glasses in the sink.

“I see the way the two of you look at each other.” Joe said while looking at me.

“Don’t you start too Joe. It’s not like that at all. Yes I like Zack but not like that. He’s just a friend.” I said as threw the used napkins in the garbage.

“I’m just looking out for you Ellie. He’s with someone else. I don’t want you to get hurt.” She said sincerely.

“Well I’m not going to because I don’t have those feelings for him. We are just friends that’s all.” I said exasperatedly.

“Hey Ellie I have to get going.” Zack said as he walked into the kitchen. “If I stay longer Gena is gonna kill me. I’ll see you tomorrow possibly.” He said pulling me into a hug and kissing my forehead.

“Ok. Bye Z.” I said smiling as I pulled out of his embrace.

“Bye Joe, bye Sir Sam.” Zack said hugging Sam as he came into the room.

“Bye Zacky. Will you come back tomorrow?” he asked staring up at Zacky.

“If I can I will. Bye guys.” He said as he walked out the door.

“We should go to. Little man needs to go to bed. You have daycare in the morning.” Joe said picking up her purse and walking into the hallway. “Night Ellie.”

“Night guys. See you tomorrow.” I said closing my door behind them and walking into my living room. It was around 7:30 and I was whipped from the days excitement. I was just getting comfortable on the couch when there was a knock on my door. I grumbled and walked towards the door. “Jesus Zack what did you-Brian?” I said confused as I opened the door to see Brian standing there, the last person I ever expected to see on the other side of my door.

“So Zack was here all day.” He stated as his intense eyes gazed down at me.

“Not all day exactly. Him and Johnny came here around lunch and Johnny left a couple hours before Zack and Zack just left.” I explained as I frowned up at him. “What are you doing here?”

“I was hoping I could talk to you.” He said with a shrug as he ran a hand through his hair.

“And tell me to stay away from Zack again?” I asked with a raised eyebrow.

“I’m not trying to be an asshole to you Elliot. I’m just trying to protect the friends I have left.” Brian said forcefully. I sighed and moved away from the door and waved him in. I shut the door behind him and we walked into my living room.

“I get that your protecting your friends and like I said last night I’m not taking advantage of Zack. I’ve told him more than once that we should stop hanging out because it bothers you and Gena so much but he just told me it wasn’t your business and that he could be friends with whoever he pleases. Zack’s not going to stop being my friend just because you tell him to.” I said truthfully as I stood in front of him with my arms crossed.

“Then you have to tell him.” He said looking at me with narrowed eyes. “I don’t trust you. I have nothing against you as a person but right now I don’t trust anyone new.”

“I don’t know what to say to you Brian. I’m not a bad person and I don’t want to hurt anyone. I care for Zack as a friend and right now he’s the only person who knows what I’m going through. I don’t have anyone else really. The people I first met when I came here don’t know of my past and I want to keep it that way. The less people who know the easier it is for me to try and move on without everyone asking how I am all the damn time. Zack doesn’t ask, because he doesn’t need to. He’s going through the same thing because he lost Jimmy. You all lost him so you at least know what I’m going through. I need someone who understands and that’s Zack.” I said trying to get him to understand.

“Look I’m sorry for whoever you lost but it’s not the same as what we lost.”

“No it’s not the same. You lost a brother, a best friend and a band mate. Someone you knew your whole life. I lost a mother and a fiancé. A woman who was my best friend and my protector, and a man who was my entire world. No loss is less than the other or greater. They are both losses and we all feel like we can never get over them. With Zack I don’t feel so broken, or as guilty. I’m not trying to take him away from you at all. It’s just nice to know that someone cares again.” I said swiping at the tears going down my cheeks.

“I didn’t know. I didn’t know that’s who you lost. I’m not trying to be an asshole to you Elliot but that’s what it’s coming across as. I’m sorry but can you see where I’m coming from?” He asked.

“I can. You’re trying to protect your best friend and I get it completely. I’m just a stranger who managed to push her way into your life without trying. I don’t deserve to be Zack’s friend, not when he has friends like you. I told him I didn’t want to cause trouble but that’s all I seem to be doing. Zack’s lucky he has people like you that care about him. I’ll stay away, but Zack will keep trying. He already told me he wasn’t going to let me go.” I said as the tears fell faster down my cheeks.

“I’m sorry Elliot, but I’m protecting those I love.” He said quietly not able to look me in the eye long.

“I may understand why you’re doing this, but I don’t like you very much right now. Please leave.” I said my voice breaking from the tears.

“I’m sorry Elliot.” Brian said before he turned and left my apartment. Once the door closed behind him I fell to my knees and cried. I cried for Ethan and my mother, I cried for the guys losing Jimmy, I cried for Jimmy and I cried for Zack. It may have only been a few days but it still hurt to lose him as well. I dragged myself to my room and lay on my bed clutching my pillow to my chest and tried to muffle my sobs in the fabric. It seems my happiness isn’t meant to last long.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another update. Just becasue the people that comment are so awsome and make me want to update faster. So its a little sad at the end and Brian was a bit of a dick but it's all for a good reason. Don't know when the next chapter will get up but I will try for really soon. Hope you like it. :)