Status: In the Making

Billet

Igniting the Flame

I was definitely feeling a little out of place, something that was rare for me in the rink. I leaned up against the cement wall along the lower level of the arena. It was the hallway that led to the equipment storage areas, dressing rooms and so on. I attempted to adjust my scarf to cover the Blades logo on my shirt; I didn’t need any more confused glances in my direction. I was standing in between the entrance to the building from outside and the visitor’s dressing room. A weird place to be hanging out, but I couldn’t be more excited. I was playing around on my phone, but glancing up when I would hear someone walk by. Somehow, I had gotten invested in my game of candy crush and had grown detached from my surroundings. I was caught off guard as I was grabbed and thrown over someone’s shoulder. Letting out a shriek, I quickly glanced around me to try and take in the situation around me. Quickly though, I was dropped back to the ground and pulled into their chest. The familiar cologne scent and number 71 stitched into his sweater gave it away.

I wrapped my arms around his waist, tightening our embrace, “I’ve missed you so fucking much Cory.” I mumbled.
“Ditto babe,” He looked down at me with a beaming smile.

Cory and the rest of his team, the Royals, had just arrived at the arena for the game this evening. The game wasn’t for another hour and a half but I had just finished my own practice and decided to come to see him before game time.

The boys had a little bit of free time to relax before they needed to warm-up, so Cory excused himself for a few minutes to drop off his equipment in the dressing room before rejoining me to kill some time catching up.

We wandered a few laps around the bowels of the arena before making our ways to one of the first rows of seats to get off of our feet. I was tired from my practice and Cory had already shaken out his bus legs from our brief walk.

“So what do you have planned for me this weekend?” He asked, laughing, knowing I would have it all figured out.
I waved offhandedly, “I’ve got you covered.” I took a breath before starting, “After the game I was thinking we could just relax at my place and you could hang out with Easton and maybe a couple others?” He nodded, agreeing. “And for tomorrow, what my team is playing so I figured you’d want to come along and the ice is free after for us to skate if you’d like. I think Easton also said the boys were doing something Saturday night so I’m sure they’d love to see you if you want to pop by!”
“Sounds perfect,” He bumped his shoulder into mine.
“I have you trained well!” I laughed.

“I thought I heard you Tier! What’s got you around here this early?” I looked down to the tunnel that led from the dressings room area to the ice to see Easton standing there looking up.
“Practice ran late so I thought I should stick around to bug this loser,” I nodded my head beside me, towards Cory.
Easton took the few strides to come up to our level. Cory stood up and the two boys embraced each other with a man-hug. They haven’t met each other previously, but knew so much about each other from my stories and Easton had joined in briefly when I had been on the phone with Cory.

The three of us chatted for a bit longer until both boys had to leave to do some dry-land warm-ups before taking the ice for the on-ice portion. I wished them both good luck and headed into the concourse. Luckily the concession stands were beginning to open so I could buy something to eat; I hadn’t planned to stay after practice so I had no food of my own for dinner and there wasn’t enough time to get home, eat and be back in time for the game.

Soon, people began filing in and I met up with my parents in our regular seats.

The first two periods were simply put, good hockey. There was crisp passing, sharp shots and several solid hits as well. The Blades were playing well, but so were the Royals. Although I’d always be a Blades fan, I couldn’t help but cheer for my best friend as well and this was definitely the ideal situation. The Blades were up 2-1 but I was impressed with Cory’s game. He had logged an assist on the lone Royals goal and had definitely worked on his skills during the summer. His passes were crisper and he seemed to have really developed his vision on the ice.

Midway through the third, though, I was on the edge of my seat when Cory got hit from behind. It wasn’t a clean hit whatsoever so I was blown away when I saw who hit him: Levi. Levi wasn’t a physical player and through the first few weeks of the season, I couldn’t even remember if he had logged a single penalty. Luckily Cory seemed okay, as he rebounded quickly and got to his feet. Some pushing ensued between the two players, which drew a crowd, but the referees broke it up before a fight could pursue. Both players headed to their respective penalty boxdx, but when Levi’s 17 penalty minutes (2 for roughing, 5 for the hit from behind and a 10 minute misconduct) were announced he left for the dressing room instead. Cory was only given two minutes for roughing. The remainder of the game was a little more physical but no tempers really boiled over. The final score was 3-1 as the Blades got an empty netter in the final minute of play.

After the game, I said goodbye to my parents. They’d be driving alone since I had to drive my own car back. I decided to wait in my seat, checking my phone mindlessly while watching the arena empty out. The zamboni was completing its final lap around the rink when I decided to head to the concourse to wait for the boys, specifically Cory who I’d be driving with.

Levi was the first one to come out. I was definitely a little annoyed with his hit on Cory, but I was even more surprised with the fact that he even threw the hit to begin with.

“You realize you’re going to be lucky to come out of this without a suspension right?” I spoke as he approached.
He shook his head, looking annoyed, “I don’t want to talk about it Tier. It was just a shitty night.”
I looked over at him as he sat down on the bench beside me. “It wasn’t a bad game though. You guys did really well out there,” I bumped him with my shoulder.
He rolled his eyes, “I wouldn’t say that.”

I was so confused; what had gotten into him?

“Are you coming over to my place tonight? Jere and Amanda are coming. And Easton and Cory will be too, obviously.”
He got to his feet, “Sorry I don’t have all the free time in the world like you do Tierney, but I have shit to do. I actually have to try and get some homework done.” He started walking away before turning back his head, “Have a good night through,” His well wishes weren’t so kind though as I could detect the hint of anger still laced in his words.

I was still taken aback when Easton came out a minute later.

“What’s up? You look a little off?” he asked, approaching me.
“Levi just completely flipped out on me and I have absolutely no idea why.”
As he reached me, he continued standing, “What did he say?” His eyebrows furrowed.
“Something about tonight being brutal and not having time to hang out because he actually ahs to do work unlike me?” My eyes stung a little bit as I repeated the words.
“Easton just shook his head in response. “I’m driving him home so I’ll talk to him about it.” He leaded down to give me a side hug, “I’ll see you back at home in a bit.” He shot me a small smile before heading the same way Levi had gone minutes before.

Just seconds later Cory came out from the dressing room area. I jogged up to him and stood on my tiptoes to ruffle his hair.

“Good game, champ!” I beamed.
He smiled at me, biting his lip, “Thanks Tier. Would’ve been a bit better if I didn’t get completed leveled by that guy though.”
“Oh Levi…I really don’t know what’s gotten into him.”
His eyebrows shot up, “That was the Levi you talk about?!”

I cringed. If I didn’t say the name, Cory might’ve not known that’s who it was. I had talked about Levi and we had some pictures together on social media but I guess he didn’t get a good enough look at him on the ice.

“Uh,” I started, “Yeah, that’s him. But I have no idea what happened there. I don’t think he’s even got a penalty this season…not even something stupid like a delay of game.”
He looked at me sceptically, “That was a nasty hit.”
“I know. I confronted him about it too; he knows that he could get a suspension for it too.”
Cory nodded and we stood in silence for a moment. “Okay, let’s get going” He started, “I’m so excited to see your parents. I hope your mom made those cookies.” He laughed.
“Oh, I’m pretty sure she started baking the moment I said you were the staying the weekend.” I winked.

Later that evening, the group of us were in my basement catching up and just relaxing.

Jeremy has been one of Cory’s best friends on the team so the two of them were thrilled to see each other. Amanda was also in attendance. She had gotten to know Cory since he spent so much time over at my place through the course of our friendship. Although he found her a little overbearing at times, they got along pretty well.

The five of us were spread across the room, snacking on cookies of course. Cory and I had the couch while Amanda and Jeremy had the recliners. Easton has crashed on the floor; likely to be closest to the snacks on the table.

Conversation flowed around me, but I had zoned out for a minute. When I snapped back to reality, a grin quickly appeared on my face. I was so happy that Cory was here and that he and Eason had seemed to hit it off. They’re definitely two of the most important guys in my life and I don’t know what I would do if they didn’t get along.

I was caught by surprised when I felt my leg get nudged. I looked down, seeing a foot beside my leg. I glanced over to see Cory looking at my expectantly.

He spoke quietly, as to not interrupt the conversation around us, “What are you all smiley about?” He had a little smirk on his face.
“I’m just so happy you’re here,” My grin grew bigger as I spoke.
“I have that effect on people,” He winked before reaching over and ruffling my hair.
“Fuck you,” I laughed, hitting him lightly.
“You did the same thing to me earlier, loser.”
“Yeah but your hair looked better when it’s a little messy like that. I just look homeless,” I laughed.
“Don’t you always though?”
“Cory you asshole,” I jumped over and landed on him, laughing I’m a little bit and making his hair a little too messy.

When we split apart, getting back into our previous spots on the couch, I looked over to see the other three people in the room staring with amused looks on their face.

Jeremy was the one to speak, “How have you two went so long without seeing each other? I’m surprised you haven’t gone insane to be honest.”
I looked over at Cory before laughing, “I guess I bug Easton a lot,” I shot him a smile.
Easton looked over at Cory before speaking, “Please stick around then maybe she’ll lay off on me.”
I tossed a pillow in his direction, “Shut up Eas.”

We all laughed and went back to catching up.

By the time it hit 1am, we were growing tired. Easton said goodbye to everyone and headed up stairs, Amanda and Jeremy went to their respective cars and I headed out to drive Cory to his old billets. He had told me that he had talked to them briefly after the game and that they even said they’d pick him up tonight but I insisted that it was fine.

The drive to his billets was relatively short and quiet; both of us growing more tired by the minute. We spoke of our plans the next day; both he and his billets were going to be coming to my game before we spent the rest of the day together. I tried to calm myself down on the drive back to my place but I couldn’t. Sure, I was a little nervous for the game ahead, but more than anything I was beyond excited to spend a long-overdue day with my friend.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that this is so short, but I originally planned to make Cory's entire visit fit into one chapter. Once I got writing it ended up being nearly 5000 words (2 chapters) and I'm not even finished yet. So anyways, here's a little something-something for y'all!

I'm hoping to get a few comments before I post the next chapter. Since it's pre-written it should be up relatively soon. Please let me know what you're thinking of the story!

I hope exams and holidays have been treating you all well!

PS. For those of you wondering about the chapter title:
#12 - >Jerome Iginla - >Calgary Flames
Flame is used in regards to the building tension between Levi and Tierney. Watch out for more of that in the upcoming chapters!