Status: In the Making

Billet

Lucky

The next morning, I woke up early, attempting to finish some school work before the busy day ahead. Despite how buys I had been with hockey, school had still been going well. Most of our games thus far were at home, which gave me some extra time and kept me from missing class. After exchanging contact information with the university coaches who had visited me a few weeks prior, we had exchanged a few emails. I had sent them some game tape and both schools still appeared to be interested in me. My parents were hoping to accompany me on an official visit sometime in the near future.

I had a quick lunch, courtesy of my mother and her fabulous pre-game cooking, before leaving for the rink. Our game was a rare 2pm start.

I was the first one at the arena, so I made my way to the dressing room quietly before hooking up my iPod to the rink’s sound system. The familiar sound of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself” pounded through the arena as I began putting on my equipment.

The team had been doing well. We won 6 of our 7 games on the year and each of those wins had been convincing ones. After playing a strong few games to start the season, I had fallen into a little slump. I was still contributing but felt like I wasn’t reaching my full potential and helping the team out to the extent I’m capable of.

Slowly the team started flowing into through the dressing room doors. First it was Karly, then some of the rookies before Alexa, Lucy and the rest of the team came in. Within minutes we took to the ice for a warm-up before heading back to a dressing room for a prep talk from our coach.

I couldn’t help from smiling as I took the ice for the opening face-off. Cory and his former billets stood at ice-level in one of the home-side corners. They banged on the glass and cheered.

His billets were some of the sweetest people I had ever met; they were a couple probably around 60 years old. They were Cory’s biggest fans and they always did whatever they could to support the Blades. There were times when they would make food for the entire team’s pre-game meal, do extra laundry and even travel to many of the away games to cheer on the team; it warmed my heart.

I gave them a little wave, beaming as I lined up for the puck drop.

The game went well. We ended up winning 4-2, with one of those goals being an empty netter late in the third. It brought our record up to 7-1 and I couldn’t be happier. It was a good game for me on an individual level as well, and I finally went like I was contributing again. I had scored one goal but also had a few good plays physically as well.

After we all made our way into the dressing room, coach gave us a little talk before I stood and expressed my appreciation for the great work everyone did on the ice. I had a quick shower and freshened up a bit before putting on my regular clothes but my skates instead of shoes. I was excited to spend some time on the ice with Cory this afternoon.

As I made my way out of the dressing room I was greeted by Cory and his billets. I wobbly jogged up to them with my skates on and wrapped his billet mom in a hug before doing the same to his billet dad.

As I pulled away, I spoke, “Thank you two so much for coming!”
“Oh, honey,” His billet mom spoke, “It was just so great to see you. You girls did wonderful out there!” His billet dad nodded along.

After a brief conversation, they insisted on heading out so Cory and I could spend the afternoon together. As they left, he wrapped me into a bear hug.

“Look at you little superstar.” He beamed down at me.
“Stop flattering me, Cor,” I laughed pulling away so he could sit down and put his skates on.
“No, seriously though, you played great.”
“Thanks,” I smiled, “I’ve been feeling a little off for the past few games so I’m glad that I could actually contribute today.”
He mindlessly tied his skates, looking up at me, “You’re really hard on yourself, you know that?” I shrugged slightly, “I know you have a lot of pressure on you with college scouting and being captain, but you’re human, you’ll have a bad game or two.”
“I know, but I just want to be a good role model and I don’t want to disappoint anybody.”
“As long as you’re out there trying your best, you aren’t disappointing anyone Tier. Even if you aren’t contributing with goals or hits or whatever, you have a presence on the ice. Hell, we could hear you being verbal and calling out to your whole team out there,” A small blush appeared on my cheeks; I didn’t realize I was that loud. “Okay, I’m done my motivational speech. Now, let’s get out on that ice.” He shot me a grin as he stood up from his position on the bench and stepped onto the silky surface.

After a great afternoon of skating and chatting, I dropped Cory off at his old billet’s place so they could have dinner together. I went back to my own house. My mom, dad, Easton and I ate dinner together before Easton and I headed upstairs to get ready for the party Chad was hosting.

A couple of the girls from my team were going to be attending as well, so I wasn’t surprised when I ended up getting a call for Alexa which turned into a three-way call with her and Karly. The three of us were debating on what outfits to wear out tonight. Eventually we decided on going a little classier tonight. I was wearing a black dress with cut-outs along the neckline and waist along with a pair of black heels. After I had gotten dressed, I found myself applying last minute make-up to my face. Once I finished getting ready, I grabbed my clutch and walked over to Easton’s room. I knocked on the door and he called that I could come in.

As he looked up he raised his eyebrows, “You look nice tonight.”
“Thank, you’re looking pretty sharp yourself,” I pointed out his v-neck, peacoat and dress pants combo. “I was talking to a couple girls from my team and we decided to dress up a bit tonight, so I’m glad you’re on the same page,” I laughed.

As we headed out, Easton helped me walk down the stairs. I struggled a bit with heels, and found it much easier to walk around in skates. Too bad they weren’t appropriate party clothes.

I drove us over to pick up Cory before heading over to Chad’s.

By the time the three of us got there, things were in full swing. As soon as we walked in though, things came to a halt. For a brief moment before a chorus of yells replaced the former chatter. Everyone was excited to see the man of the hour.

“Cory, dude, how’ve you been?!” Chad was the first one to greet him, although soon there was a large group forming.

“Wanna head in?” Easton said, nudging me.
I nodded and we walked further into the house.

Easton led the way and coincidentally ended up at the Keg. He offered me a cup which I took, filling it with water rather than alcohol.

“I figured I’d probably be driving tonight and I want Cory to be able to relax and have a few with the boys.”
“No wonder we keep you around,” he laughed, taking a sip from his red solo cup.

Chad walked into the room to grab another drink, “Chad, where do you even get money for this shit?” I laughed.
“Stipends my dear, stipends.” He spoke, refilling his cup.
As he left the room I cringed. “Please don’t ever let him call me that again.” Easton and I cracked up.

Easton headed over towards, Levi, someone I was aiming to avoid tonight. I don’t know what got into him lately, but it wasn’t something I was looking to deal with right now. Instead, I made my way over to the bathroom. Alexa was standing just outside of it.

“Tierney, oh my gosh! Hey girl!” She screamed wrapping me into a hug. Someone already had a bit to drink.
“Hey Lex,” I chucked, wrapping her into a hug as well, “Where’s Karly? Bathroom?”
“Yeah!” She said, stepping back from our embrace, “She should be back soon!”
“I would hope so,” I mumbled, chuckling.
On cue, Karly stepped out of the bathroom, “Tier! Shit, when did you get here!” She began laughing uncontrollably which caused Alexa to do the same. Times like this I hated being the sober friend.

Eventually they calmed down from their fit of giggles but then saw Easton and Levi across the room.

They let out a little shriek, “We’re going to go see the boys!”
“They’re such babes!”
“I’d be careful if I was you,” I warned, “Levi’s been a litt-” Before I could finish my sentence, the two girls were already halfway across the room. I just shook my head.

I watched them for a moment, but long enough to see both boys’ faces light up when the girls came across the room. Levi was the first to jump up and grab one of them to dance. And I couldn’t be more confused. I let out a heavy sigh and took a step backwards, but nearly toppled over as I walked into someone.

“Someone looks a little confused,” The person who caught me spoke. I spun around, seeing that it was Jeremy. I just shook my head and rolled my eyes. “What’s up?”
“Levi’s just been so weird. I figured he’s just been a little stressed or whatever the past few weeks but I think it’s only me he’s pissed with.”
“That’s weird. He hasn’t said anything to me really.” I let out another lengthy sigh. “Come on, wanna get a drink?”
“I’d totally take you up on that but I’m driving tonight.”
“That’s shitty, but look at you being a good person and all.”
“Cory’s damn lucky. He’s the only person I’d do this for.” I muttered. I guess my plan of avoiding Levi in order to have a good night went downhill fast.

I spent the remainder of my time with Jeremy and some of his buddies on the team as well as the girls and Easton when they drifted off from Levi.

Luckily by the time it hit midnight, Cory was ready to head out. Thank God for picking an introvert who wasn’t overly fond of the party-atmosphere as a best friend. I said goodbye to Easton, who insisted he would just crash at Chad’s tonight before heading out to the car.

Cory had a couple of beers, nothing much, so luckily I didn’t have to deal with another completely wasted friend.

Once we reached his billet’s place, I was about to head home.

“You can stay over if you want, Tier,” Cory spoke from the passenger seat.
“Oh no, I don’t want to intrude!”
“At dinner they said you could, that way you wouldn’t have to drive home tonight. It’s pretty late.”
I sat in silence for a moment or two before giving in. I wanted to spend as much time as I could with him. Who knew when I would see him next? “Alright. But you better have some extra clothes I can borrow, I can’t handle this dress and heels for much longer.”
He chuckled, “I got you covered.”

After heading up to his former bedroom for both of us to grab some clothes, we took turns in the bathroom to changed before heading downstairs. His billets were sleeping so we figured that watching some TV in the basement would be an okay idea.

With it being early October, I was thrilled to see Halloweentown on when Cory was flipping through the channels. He skipped over it and kept going.

“If you don’t go back to Halloweentown, we can’t be friends anymore.”
He shrugged, “Oh well then,” as he kept going.
“Cory, don’t be an asshole. It’s officially Halloween time. I need to watch this movie.”
After another couple minutes of complaining, and him seeing that nothing else besides infomercials was on TV in the early hours of the morning, he turned on the movie.

I grabbed a blanket from the side of the couch and wrapped myself up in it since it was pretty chilly in the basement. Cory started tugging on it and I just glared at him. Eventually, I was caught up in the movie. It was the scene where Marnie meets Luke and I was a little ball of excitement. I hadn’t seen this movie since last fall and it was one of my favourites, despite it being a kid’s movie. Catching me off-guard Cory pulled the blanket from my grip and covered himself in it instead.

I glared over at him, but I couldn’t help but smile as he opened his arms and motioned for me to join him. I cuddled into his side as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

“Tell me how you don’t have a girlfriend with how smooth you are,” I laughed, looking up at him.
“I don’t know, something about being a hockey player and not having all my real teeth is a turn off apparently.”
I rolled my eyes, “You’re such a charmer though.”
“That’s what my mom tells me,” He winked and I started laughing.

As the movie went on, my eyes grew tired. It was a long day and it must have been nearing 2am.

“Why do you have a smile on your face?! Marnie’s family got turned to stone!” He raised his eyebrows.
I stopped for a moment, not even realizing that I had a smile plastered on my face, “I’m just so happy you’re here. I miss you a lot Cor.”
“And I’ve missed you like a crazy too,” He smiled, ruffling up my hair quickly before getting slapped by me.
“You have to stop doing that.”

“I’m so glad they got to spend the weekend together.”
“I am too. They really are the greatest friends.”
“Look at them all snuggled up, it’s so adorable.”
“Isn’t it?”
“Oh, we better head upstairs. I wouldn’t want to wake them.”
“Yes, let them sleep for a little while longer.”

I was awoken by the conversation around me. I didn’t full regain consciousness until after his former billets left. I started wiggling around, realizing how hot I was getting until my elbow made contact with a hard surface, which ended up being Cory’s jaw.

And that, ladies and gentlemen is how to wake up someone.

When we both realized our position we just laughed. I was curled right up into Cory’s side, with my head on his chest and my legs thrown over his lap. His chin was resting on top of my head and his arms around my waist.

“How the hell did this even happen?!” He said and we both broke out into a fit of giggles.

Oh, how was I ever going to make myself drop him off in Belleview today?
♠ ♠ ♠
Just as I promised, here's the second part to Cory's visit! Thank you so much to all of you who have been keeping up with this story and a special thanks to Thatmom and classic8127 for their comments on the last chapter! I'm hoping to hear from even more of you, so don't forget to recommend this story and leave a comment :)

PS. Any opinions on Cory? What do you think of his relationship with Tierney?