Status: In the Making

Billet

Hat Trick

The next few days went on in a similar fashion. I’d take Easton to the arena for camp and meanwhile I’d kill sometime around the rink. The evenings were spent with my parents as we took some more time getting to know this new part of our family and letting him into our lives.

On Thursday night, the Blades had their first scrimmage and it was open to the public. This is where the coaching staff would split the camp attendees into two groups and watch them play against each other, so they could evaluate them in a real game situation. My family and I had gone to these games in the past and with Easton playing it gave us even more reason to do so.

We had dropped Easton off at around 6:00 because coach wanted them there early, likely to give them a little pep talk and have them experience the feeling of game day. The game didn’t start until 7:30 so we went home and relaxed for a bit before heading back closer to game time.

We sat a couple rows up, off to the side of the penalty boxes. Within a few minutes the game had begun. Instantly, I was taken aback by the skill I saw in front of me. After all of the years of watching the players in training camp, I can’t recall a group that seemed to have such talent and chemistry. The passes were crisp and barely any words had to be said beforehand; they just seemed to know where their other teammates were. Easton was a big part of the said success. He always seemed to be a stride ahead of the rest of the players, waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike. Before I knew it, he had even opened the scoring.

The final score was 5-4 for the Blue team (which was the one Easton was on.) My family stuck around our seats for a few minutes before walking around the concourse and chatting with some of the other season’s ticket holders that we knew. We knew we had some time to spare until Easton was ready. The coach would be speaking with the team for a little bit and then the boys had to change back into their street clothes. Once we figured that Easton should almost be ready, we said goodbye to the people we were talking to and headed towards the doors that connected the dressing room to the concourse. We waited for only a few moments before Easton emerged.

“Hey, good game!” I smiled, holding up my hand for a high five.
He let out a chuckle and returned the gesture, “Thanks, Tierney.”

My parents expressed their complements as well as we headed to the car.

The drive home wasn’t a quiet one. All of us threw in our two cents worth on the game and (final) two scrimmages that would take place the following day. After that, the first cuts would take place, with the final roster being announced either during or after the pre-season.

Just from what I saw tonight, I knew that the coaching staff would have a tough time cutting anyone. But without thought I’d place a bet (and a large one at that) that Easton already had a spot on the team. As if the clue that he already had a permanent billet (unlike many other incoming rookies) wasn’t a big enough clue.

Once we got home, we all split up into our separate quarters after wishing one another “Goodnight.” My parents headed down the hall to their room while Easton and I walked the other way to where our rooms were.

“Hey,” He spoke, just as I was about to go into my room. “Do you want to watch a movie or something?”
I shrugged, considering the idea. I wasn’t very tired anyways, “Sure.”
“Alright, any preference?” I just shook my head. “I’ll just pick one then and we can watch it in my room?” I mentally cursed him for having a bigger T.V. in his room than mine, even though I really didn’t mind.
“I’m just going to put on some pyjamas quick then.” He nodded before heading into his room to get the movie ready.

I changed into my pyjamas which were a pair of shorts and an old t-shirt I had from a hockey tournament I’ve been in. Then I headed over into Easton’s room. He was sitting on his bed, which was lengthwise against the wall. He patted down the spot next to him and I went and sat down, crossing my legs over one another. I looked up at the TV on the wall to see the menu screen for Paranormal Activity 2.

I looked over at him, “I hate you.”
He let out a chuckle, “I thought you said you didn’t care what movie we watched?”
I rolled my eyes, “I figured you’d put on a normal movie, like…I don’t know, The Avengers or The Hangover or something.”
Shrugging, with a playful glint in his eyes spoke, “Let’s get this show on the road,” and then he hit the play button.

Less than halfway into the movie and I was already scarred for life. Didn’t I ever say that I hate scary movies? I grabbed one of the pillows on Easton’s bed and used it as a shield for my eyes: only glancing over it every once and a while. In all honestly, I don’t think Easton was watching much of the movie either; he was too busy laughing at me every time I squirmed.

It was about 12:30 by the time the movie ended. After mentioning my disgust of the movie to Easton, I threw the pillow I was holding at him and started creeping my way back to my room. I moved slowly, looking behind me every couple of steps to make sure there were no demons or anything of sort coming up behind me. Once I got close to my bed, I finally started to relax. Walking at a leisurely pace, I finally exhaled the breath I didn’t even realize I was holding. I jumped into bed feeling relieved. I laid my head back on my pillow and closed my eyes. Soon after, I felt my leg being pulled from outside the bed. I let out a shriek, thinking of the movie. I went tumbling off the bed, landing with a crash on the floor. I opened my eyes to see Easton doubled over in laughter. Luckily my parents weren’t overly light sleepers.

I scurried to my feet and went chasing him back to my room, “Easton!” My voice shouted at a loud whisper, “You are the biggest ass!”

He got into his room and closed his door quickly, leaving me stranded outside of it. I shook my head and let out a sigh as I made my way back into my room.

It was at this moment that I fully understood why people often referred to their billets as “billet siblings.” After only a couple of weeks it already felt like Easton was a real part of this family. No matter how annoying I discovered he can get.






It was about noon the next day and Easton and I were on our way to the rink.

“So you have a ride home right?” I asked him, glancing over my shoulder to check my blind spot as I changed lanes.
I saw him nod out of the corner of my eye, “Levi, you know, the guy you met last week? He said he can drive me.”

I was dropping Easton off at the arena, since he had another scrimmage this afternoon (and then the final one of training camp this evening.) Both of my parents were at work and I had to be at my own work for 12:30, so Easton would be toughing out this one alone, although we planned to pop in for the one later on tonight.

I pulled up to the front of the arena and came to a stop, “Okay,” I said, “So I’ll meet you at home later then. Good luck!” I shot him a smile.
He began to get out of the car, “Sounds good, and thanks!” He gave me a thumbs up before he closed his car door and headed into the rink.

From there I headed over to my work. I worked in a Sport Chek in a strip mall. It was located in one of the newer, popular shopping areas within town. I only started there a few months ago but it felt like I’ve been there a life time. I still haven’t decided if that’s a good or bad thing.

I walked into the store and made a quick stop to drop off my things in the backroom before heading straight to the checkout. I was already clad in my uniform: a black t-shirt with red and white detailing and a pair of yoga pants. I knew I was relieving one of the guys that was finishing up his shift now, so I walked over to the second cashier and took his spot once he finished the order at hand.

Although I started the afternoon out on cash, I spent the majority of it walking around the store helping out customers. Not only did I help a girl buy her first pair of skates but I got a little boy sized up for some running shoes and a teen help with a new pair of soccer cleats. It was a pretty solid afternoon.

When I glanced up at the clock at the front of the store, I realized it was already the end of my shift. It was a short shift to begin with, only four hours, but it seemed to fly by. I headed over to the back room and grabbed my purse, pulling out my car keys before heading across the store. I passed by cash on the way to the doors. One of the other workers yelled a quick goodbye and shot me a wave which I returned before stepping outside.

It was a gorgeous day outside. The sun was beaming and the only clouds that littered the sky were white fluffy ones. I took in a deep breath of air, not minding how humid it was. With September just around the corner, we had to appreciate the few summer days we had left.

I walked over to the car and got in. I rolled down the windows and turned on one of my favourite radio stations before pulling out of the spot and heading home.

When I walked into the house, I was greeted by a few differing voices. Both my parents were already home, which surprised me as I thought I would’ve beat them, and Easton was in as well. It sounded like they were in mid-conversation but stopped for a moment to give me a “Hello” before continuing.

I went upstairs, changing out of my work uniform before making my way into the kitchen area where everyone was. My mom was working over the stove while my dad and Easton were sitting along the breakfast bar. Things weren’t usually this rushed or hectic around dinner time, but we wanted to have things done quickly so we wouldn’t be rushed getting to the rink tonight. This thought surprised me. A night like this seemed hectic, but it was nothing compared to what the coming weeks and even months would be like. With Easton on the run with hockey, road trips and our normal lives, things would be getting crazy.

“How was work, Tier?” My father turned and asked me.
“Pretty good: it was a fairly busy day surprisingly.” He gave me a nod in response.

I looked over to Easton before speaking, “How was the scrimmage?”
A smile plastered his face, “Good! My team won again, 6-2 this time, and I scored another goal.”
“Hopefully you’re saving another one for tonight?” I joked.
“I can’t make any promises but I’ll try my best,” he shot me an over exaggerated wink and we both cracked up.

Dinner for the night was a stir-fry. We ate quickly and split to get ready. We arrived at the rink at the same time as the night before but sided on just waiting around the rink rather than heading home for an hour. The time went by fairly quickly and before we knew it the game was underway.

The skill level was still there but the style of game was a complete 180 from the previous night. There was a sudden flurry of movement with each player gliding smoothly across the ice. Physicality was upped with each player trying to literally fight for their spot on the team. The gloves were dropped three times within the first two periods. A big guy on the White team was trying to pick a fight with Easton but he shrugged him off. Out of the ordeal, Easton’s team even picked up a power play. Just twenty seconds into the man-advantage, Easton opened up the scoring.

The game was winding down, with only two minutes left on the clock. The score still stood 1-0. Easton cut in front of the net, right across the crease, nearly adding to the lead but was knocked over by one of the White defencemen. The player gave him a clear crosscheck to the head, which the referee whistled down immediately. It was still too late as Easton lie nearly still on the ice.

“Shit.” I mumbled, leaning on the edge of my seat to see the situation better; it had taken place in the far corner from where I was sitting.

After a few seconds Easton flipped over onto his stomach and grabbed at his head. A brawl broke out just to the side of him, but he barely moved out of the way. The trainer hurried his way onto the ice and one of the Blue players not involved in the fight came over as well. There was a quick exchange of words and a few shift motions before the player and trainer pulled Easton to his feet. He was a little wobbly but once he was off the ice, quickly made his way down the hall towards the dressing room.

I looked over to my mom who had her head in her hand, rubbing her temple. “He better be alright,” she sighed.
“I’m going to head down and check on him, okay?” My voice spoke.
They nodded.

I made my way out of my seat and down the corridor before taking the stairs down to the dressing room. Things were usually guarded pretty heavily by ushers, but I knew since it was only a scrimmage no one was around. Nonetheless, we were regulars so it wasn’t a big deal anyways.

As I reached the area near the dressing rooms, the buzzer sounded. I waited for a moment for the players to go by but called out, “Claude!” The coach turned to look at me, “I’m Easton’s billet sister,” I reminded him, “and was just wondering if it would be okay if I just go check on him quickly? I’m assuming he’d be in the medical room?”
He gave a quick nod, “That’s fine. Just give a knock before you head in and tell the trainer I gave you the okay.”
“Great, thanks.” I gave him a wave before making the short walk to the medical room. I knew this rink like the back of my hand.

I knocked on the door and waited a moment before a man I recognized as the Blade’s trainer came to the door.

“Hi, I’m Easton’s billet sister and I just wanted to check in on him. Coach said it would be fine and I’ll make it quick. I don’t want to throw your post-game things off.”
“Oh, that’s fine.” He shot me a small smile.

I followed him in, letting the door close behind me.

“Hey kid, are you feeling alright?” I asked Easton. He was sitting on the medical table. He looked a little dazed but not too bad.
Easton gave me a small nod. “I feel shaken up but alright besides that. We don’t think it’s anything major, just a stinger, but obviously I’ll have to go through baseline tests to get things confirmed.”
“Well at least things are looking good. You’ll have to keep this goal streak going through the pre-season,” I joked.
He laughed, “I do, don’t I?”

I turned to face the trainer who was writing down notes on a table to the side of the room.

“About how long do you think you’ll need to be with him yet tonight?” I asked.
The trainer looked up from his file, “Only about ten minutes.”

I looked back towards Easton, “Okay, so I’ll go tell my parents what’s going on and we’ll be waiting in lounge.” He nodded.

I expressed my thanks to the trainer before hurrying out of the room. In heading back to the family lounge, I made my way past the dressing room, nearly tumbling over after bumping into someone.

“Shit, sorry about that.” He said, steadying me. He was wearing his under armour, probably heading to go stretch something out before hitting the showers.
“No problem, I should’ve been watching where I was going,” I replied. I looked up at his face, “Levi right?”
“That’s me. And you’re Easton’s billet sister, Tierney?” I nodded. “Have you heard how’s he’s feeling after the hit? That’s was dirty. I’m pretty sure coach just cut that guy in front of the whole team.”
I shook my head, showing my frustration at the hit as well. “Things seem pretty good. He’s shaken up, obviously, but it doesn’t look like anything more than that. He’ll have to do concussion testing but things are looking positive.”
“That’s great, we don’t need a guy like him out. Anyways, I better get going: I’ll see you around.” He smiled before heading down the hallway.

I continued walking down the hallway until I reached the lounge. My parents were sitting on a couch, looking beyond nervous.

“Hey,” I said breaking the silence. I waited until they looked up before continuing, “Things look good. Easton’s a little shaken up and will have to do baseline testing just make sure everything’s okay but it looks like he’s fine.” My mother let out a breath that I didn’t realize she was holding. “The trainer said he’ll only be a few more minutes and then he’ll just have to change and we can head home.”

I couldn’t believe things had started out like this. And during a scrimmage at that. First time billets’ bad luck? All that mattered was that he was okay. Even this early on, I’d admit that he was a part of this family and he always would be.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please tell me in the comments what you think. Click here to get there!
Thanks for reading! :)