Status: In the Making

Billet

For Drawing Blood

As I walked into the door after another day of work, I was greeted by an eager Easton. He had a bounce in his step as he followed me into the kitchen, as I opened the fridge to get a drink. It’s been a long day.

“What’s got you so perky?” I asked. He seemed like a little kid on Christmas morning and it was making me curious to say the least.

“Guess who made the final roster,” he spoke in a cheesy sing-song voice.

I pretended for ponder for a moment before replying sarcastically, “That goon that hit you right? I thought he’d be a good addition; we need a strong body out there.”

He rolled his eyes, before making clear the point he wanted, “I made the team!”

I let out my own shout of approval, high fiving him.

It was early to be making final cuts, but their head coach was strong-willed, so he must have seen who he liked and wanted to make it official as soon as possible. It did give the team extra time to bond, likely adding to the chemistry on the ice.

“Who else made it?” I questioned him, taking a sip of my water.
“Levi did! All the guys from last year are staying up...” He went on explaining the players who were sticking around. With the all prospects, it was hard to be clear on who he was talking about, but over the season I was sure I’ll grow familiar with each of them.

Since coach named the team today, they only ran a short practice, so the two of us decided to go out for a jog. Although these would be fewer as our practices grow more intense, it was a habit I was happy to fall into.

We had run about half a mile in silence before, Easton started, “So...Chad,” He said referring to the team’s returning captain, “Mentioned about this team party. Apparently it’s a normal thing before the season starts?”

I nodded. Everyone knew about the team’s party. Although parties were a normal occurrence for a junior hockey team, this one was before the season started, practices got too tough and before drinking, girls and partying could really interfere with hockey.

“Were you going to come?” He continued.

I glanced over at him for a brief moment, before making sure I wasn’t going to run into anything. “Isn’t it a pretty exclusive thing?” I knew other people got invited, particularly the puck bunnies, but they tried to reduce the amount of drama that followed by keeping the invite-list fairly low. Of course, that didn’t stop the rumours from spreading.

Easton went on to explain that Chad had said that the team could feel free to invite a few people, but to keep it small. Since final cuts were made so early, they decided to have the party the Saturday of Labour Day Weekend, making it more convenient; not interfering with hockey or school.

I was definitely excited. Although I wasn’t a big partier, I still loved to go out, relax and have some fun. Just what I’ve heard, partying with the Blades was going be a great time.

We continued our run, with our conversation drifting to school. Although the pre-season was quickly approaching, coming and going within the next two weeks, school started in a week. I had received my class schedule via email this morning and assumed that Easton had as well. We chatted about our futures; something that was forced upon us as we entered our final year of high school. I was hoping to become a physical therapist while Easton was considering policing or fire fighting. Despite the difference in fields, we found out we had one class together: English.

“So now I have to see you at school too?” He sighed, “I see you enough every. Single. Day”
I turned to him and stuck out my tongue, “You live in my house. Shut up or leave.” We both laughed.

The next few days flew by. Easton had practice every day with a few two-a-days as well. Meanwhile, I was picking up extra shifts at work since I knew I would have to limit my hours once school and hockey season started. Before I knew it, it was Saturday evening and the two of us were getting ready for the party. I put on my dress and was fixing up my make-up while talking to Amanda on speaker phone.

“So why wasn’t I invited to this thing?” She whined as I applied my eyeliner, working to create the perfect winged look.
“I told you,” I repeated for what seemed like the tenth time, “I’m surprised I even got invited. From what I heard it’s primarily just players and puck sluts, so this’ll be interesting,” I laughed.

I knew this was Amanda’s scene, but I also didn’t want to bring her along and make Easton uncomfortable (Amanda’s charm could be a little overbearing at times) or anything along those lines. I’m sure she’d come along to events later in the season.

Just as I finished my eyeliner, I heard a knock on my door, which was half opened.

“Just a sec, Manda” I told her, before speaking a little louder: “Come in!”
Easton opened the door slightly and leaned against it, “Hey, you almost ready?”
“I’ll be done in a minute or two,” I smiled.

Before Easton could leave, Amanda shouted, “Is that the boy?!”
He let out a laugh, asking me, “Who’s that?”
“Amanda. Best friend since childhood. Ignore her, I’m sure you’ll meet her at school on Tuesday,” I scrunched up my nose at the thought. This could either go great or really badly.
He laughed again before heading out of my room, “I’ll wait for you downstairs.”

About twenty minutes later, we pulled alongside a mid-sized house downtown. Chad was hosting the event, not only as captain but as one of the oldest players on the team. Although the younger ones were billeted, the older players had the option of renting a place together. The captain was 20 and lived with a few of the other older players. I knew I wouldn’t drink much but had no idea what kind of partier Easton was so I decided to drive here. But if worst came to worst we could always take a cab home.

We walked in and were greeted by one of the older defencemen on the team. I assumed he lived here as well. “Hey bud! What’s up?” Easton and him “man-hugged” before he continued, “Oh, hey is this your billet sister?”
Easton nodded, “Yep, this is Tierney.”

We small talked for a few minutes before heading into the kitchen in the back, where we had been told the keg was. We both filled our cups with beer before mingling. Within a few minutes, I recognized someone across the room. I started heading over and told Easton to follow along.

I tapped the boy on the shoulder and a smile appeared on his face as he turned around. “Tier!” He wrapped me up in a quick hug, “How have you been?” The tall blond was none other than strong-willed center, Jeremy . He was one of the players that you could tell gave 110% every night. Although we had seen each other around the rink over the past few years, we only got to know each other well when we were lab partners in Biology the previous year.
“Good! Sport Chek’s been keeping me busy,” I laughed. “And I’ve been driving this fool around until his parents bring up his car this week,” I joked, nudging Easton who was standing beside me.
“Wait what?” Jeremy was confused for a moment before realization kicked in. “You’re billeting?” I nodded, “That’s sweet! Man, I wish your parents would’ve taken me in; your mom makes the best cookies.”
I shrugged, knowing that that was true enough.
“Wait,” Easton started, “Your mom makes good cookies?”
“The best.” Jeremy confirmed.
“Score!” He yelled out.

We all burst into laughter.

Easton was off to get another beer, but I stayed, chatting with Jeremy .
“So how’s Cory been? I haven’t heard anything from the guy in what seems like forever” He spoke.

Cory was my best friend. Well aside from Amanda. He, like me, played right wing. But he played for the Blade over the past two seasons.

He was traded to the Belleview Royals, a team 2 hours away, during the off-season. Although we didn’t get to see each other much, but we talked every few days if we were both available. He was different than any other player on this team. He was big on team dynamic, but he also made sure to spend a lot of time away from the other players and the pressures he had playing in this league. That’s where I came in. Cory would come out to support me at my games, we’d watch dumb movies almost every Sunday night (the one night they were almost guaranteed to not have a game), we would pull all-nighters together when we both had to cram or finish a project even though we didn’t share any classes (as he’s a year older). It was funny actually: we had met a team event. It was a season-ticket holder skate, where my family had joined many others in catching up with old faces (players and fans alike) and welcoming the new ones. Although Cory loved the fan support, he couldn’t have wanted to be anywhere else. We had skated and talked for most of the afternoon. After running into each other several other times both at the rink and school (he was a senior and I was a junior the year we met), we exchanged numbers and began to hang out more regularly. Although I had attended a few team events with him, Cory was a quiet, shyer character and this definitely would not be his scene.

“He’s good. It’s been hard for him to adjust to Belleview, but he’s been getting along with everyone well.”

I worried about Cory. I knew he needed time away from the rink; it was draining on him and I knew without that get-a-way form the rink, he would throw himself too far into the sport. It was easy to do; we’ve all been there. He had been passed over in his draft year, causing conflicting emotions. Part of him wanted to leave hockey all together while the other half wanted to push himself as far as he could. Luckily for me, the Blade played the Royals several times a season so I would be seeing him often enough. He was a person in my life that distance couldn’t take away.

Later in the evening, we found ourselves playing beer pong. Easton and I were facing Chad and the same defenceman that we had spoken to earlier in the night. Every other team had lost to the veterans, so we figured we may as well try.

“I don’t know,” I laughed, “I’m pretty good, so y’all better watch out.”
Chad shrugged, “We can take on rooks, no biggie.”

After missing my first opportunity, I got on a good streak. Easton on the other hand wasn’t doing too well, but between the two of us, we ended up beating the older players.

“Fuck yes!” I shouted, high fiving Easton.
“We are the champions!” He started singing.

Chad and the defenceman came around to our side of the table.

“Hey, good one kiddo.” Chad shook my hand, “But I think ya just got lucky.”
“Eh,” I shrugged, “Not too sure about that, but thanks.”
“You’re pretty fun. Easton, you’ll have to invite this girl to more things, we like having her around.” Chad winked at me. “She’s a cutie too.”
And that was my cue to leave. I enjoyed hanging out with these guys but Chad was a little (lot) beyond tipsy and I didn’t need to deal with any of his drunken implications.
Easton, Lord thank him, already understood so much about me. “I’m sure she will be,” he laughed. “But anyways, we better get going. I haven’t got to talk to Levi yet.”

Once we were far enough away, I spoke, “Thanks bud! I really don’t need a drunken captain hitting on me.”
“I feel like that’s breaking the bro code anyways,” He shrugged. “You’re my billet sister. You’re practically family. Ain’t no teammate be hitting on you.”
I sighed dramatically, “But what if there’s a cute one I like? Or wha-” I cut myself off, “This is actually the worst. I thought by being an only child I’d avoid the whole overprotective brother thing, but I think I still got stuck with one.”
I nudged me in the side with his elbow, “You’re stuck with me for life, sista.”
“Oh, dear God.”

We did end up going to talk to Levi. He was sitting on a couch in the living room, talking to what appeared to be another rookie. Just as we were approaching, though, the other player was heading off.

“Hey man!” Easton greeted Levi.
“Oh, hey guys,” He smiled, patting the spots beside him.

We talked about the upcoming season and school year. It turned out that Levi was in my Biology class.

After a little while, Easton went to go get us some more to drink, but he must have got distracted along the way because it took him quite a while to get back.

Win the meantime, Levi and I just talked about life. That’s what most relatively sober people at a party would do, right? He told me about his two older brothers and his older sister. He explained that he had to work on his physicality in the game and how nervous he was for both the school year and season to begin.

I told him about my family and hockey career. But also my history with the Blade’s organization; how long I’ve been attending games, favourite past players, former friends.

Levi seemed like a great guy. I was glad that Easton had quickly befriended him rather than one of the classless goons on the team. Although the Blades were known for their quick skating and unmatched puck-handling, players like that did still exist, although few and far between.

Eventually Easton returned, with a big grin on his face.

“Come on guys, they’re doing shots in the kitchen.” I rapidly shook my head. Try to get me wasted off of mixed drinks or beer; I don’t care. But I was not good with shots. I’ve had a few bad experiences to say the least.
“Tierney, you have to!” Easton whined.

Despite my protests, the two rookies were stronger than me and ended up bringing me into the kitchen.

The three of us took shots together and I soon as I had swallowed mine I cringed, sticking out my tongue. I quickly looked around for chase, to no avail.

“Fuck me,” I muttered, quickly regretting my choice of words as one of the aforementioned goons quickly replied. “Where can I get some chase?!” Someone quickly threw a bottle of Gatorade at me, and after seeing it was still sealed, I downed part of the bottle.

The boys had somehow convinced me to take another shot. And another. Along the way I lost count, but I could really start to feel the effects of the alcohol on my body.

I stood around the kitchen for a little longer, until I realized that Easton had left.

“Uh oh.”

I hurried through the house, looking for him. I did a once-over of the main floor before going to the upper floor, which was open as well. After not being able to find him in either place, I headed back to the main floor. As I walked through the hallway, a doorway opened and Easton walked out.

I ran up to him and wrapped my arms around him in a tight hug. “Oh. My. God. I thought I lost my best friend. You scared me so much!”
Easton laughed, seeming way too sober in comparison to my drunken state. “Someone had a few too many shots,” he laughed.
Even though I completely agreed, I felt the need to defend myself. “Easton, shut up.” I pulled back from him and punched him in the chest. “I am totally sober right now.” I took a step backwards but ended up losing my balance. Luckily someone caught me.

I turned around, seeing Levi there. “And there’s my other bestie! Thanks for coming to my rescue!” I gave him a hug as well.
“Alcohol hit her a little hard?” Levi laughed, but he started stumbling over as well.
Easton sighed, “How am the most sober one here?! Tier, you said that you were the DD tonight!”
I stood up as straight as possible, but ended up slowly tipping side to side trying to balance myself. “I am completely sober right now. Like 60%, I swear.” Easton started cracking up. “I mean 100%.” I let out a heavy sigh and started walking away.

I wandered through the house but eventually was stopped by Jeremy .

“Hey pretty lady!”
“Jere!” I screamed out, giving him a fist bump. “I haven’t seen you in forever!”
He let out a laugh, but had to stop and think before replying. “I definitely think it was more recent than that.”
I shrugged in reply.

The two of us talked and ended up playing a few rounds of flip cup. All of which I lost miserably. Eventually, we took a seat on the couch in the living room, not being able to be on our feet too long without feeling unwell.

Mid-conversation, I heard a recognizable laugh across the room. I paused as I looked in that direction. It was Chelsea Campbell, by-far one of the most well-known puck bunnies around the league. And she so happened to call our town home. She often made rookies her victims; the ones she figured had a bright future in the NHL and who weren’t as aware of her reputation. Although she annoyed me, typically she didn’t make me overly mad. Aside from right now.

She had one hand on Easton’s chest, with the other twirling her hair. He seemed overly appreciated of her presence, and drunker than when I had seen him previously.

“She is the biggest whore,” I muttered to Jeremy .

The two of us continued talking, but I kept a watchful eye on the pair across the room.

When I saw her put her hand behind his neck and lean in to whisper in his ear, I had enough. I stood up, handed Jeremy the beer I was nursing and walked over to them. I felt more sober than I had been all night.

As I reached them, I grabbed Easton’s hand and spun the boy to face me.

“Hey babe!” I gave him a big smile before leaning in, meeting his lips with my own.

It was a quick kiss but as I pulled away, Chelsea was already out of sight.

Moments later, Levi and Jeremy , who must have both witnessed the event, came up to us from differing direction. We were pulled out the front door and into the cool summer air.

“Can someone tell me what the fuck just happened?!” Levi shouted.
Easton just stood with his brow furrowed and shook his head.
“Well, I kissed Easton.” I state simply.
“Can I ask why the Hell you did that?” Jeremy asked.
I shrugged, “To get him away from that slut obviously.” Confusion didn’t appear to vanish from the group, but settle even deeper. “Chelsea. Is. A. Slut.” I practically spelled out. “She was flirting with Easton and the only way I could think to get her away was that. And I imagine it’ll keep her away from quite a while. Hopefully until the end of the season at least.”

My drunken plan seemed genius to me, but the hockey players still seemed confused.

“Believe me, Easton, you’ll be happy that I just saved your reputation.”

After that, we checked the time, seeing that it was nearing 2:30am and decided to head home. Although I felt that I had sobered up a reasonable amount, we figured it was best to take a cab home. We could pick up the car tomorrow.

Easton and I bid our friends farewell and left to catch our cab. We both sat in the backseats in silence for a few moments before he spoke.

“I’m still so fucking confused right now.” He muttered under his breath.
“I told you. I’ve been around this rink for a while and honestly did it out of your best interests. Don’t blame the drunk girl for helping a friend out.”

After a few more silent moments, I reached my hand out.

“Bros?” I asked.
He grabbed my hand and shook it. “Bros.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! I know I've been gone for a while, but I just really wanted to write this story again! Hopefully updates will be more regularly from now on!

This chapter turned out differently than I had planned, but I hope you enjoyed it. Leave me a comment to let me know what you're thinking :)