Sequel: So Far Away

That's Why I Got a Heater For Your Thighs

On Valentine's Day

It was a Valentine's Day. Everyone knew what that meant: love letters, chocolate, roses and love. I wasn't exactly one to enjoy Valentine's Day and neither was Jimmy. All of the Valentine's Day's we had spent together, we'd just laid home watching stupid movies and drinking wine. Yes, we were really that boring.

I was still laying in bed as Jimmy was in the shower. I had asked him what we would do later that day but he hadn't really given me an answer. So I assumed we would do what we always did on Valentine's Day.

When Jimmy came back into our bedroom, I was still laying on the bed, holding my baby bump with my both hands.

He stopped in the doorway and looked at me.

”Why are you looking at me like that?” I asked and cocked an eyebrow at him.

”Like what?”

”Like that!”

”Like what? This is what my face looks like. I'm not looking at you like ”that” Rachel,” he said with a laugh.

He walked to his closet and started pulling on some clothes. I watched as he did that.

”Aren't you going to get up?” he asked while pulling on a shirt.

”Well, I don't know,” I said with a shrug, ”I might as well sleep the whole day.”

”What do you mean? It's Valentine's Day,” he said, ”You can't sleep.”

”This is just a normal day, isn't it? Or did you come up with some sappy, romantic surprise?”

”Maybe,” he murmured with a wink.

”Really? Did you really?”

”Who knows. You won't find out if you never get up,” he told me.

”But the baby and I are very comfortable right now.”

”Oh, I'm sure.”

”I'm serious. If I get up, the baby wakes up and starts kicking and I have to go pee again,” I told him.

”Yes, whatever. I'm going to the bakery. Your mom wanted to see me,” he told me.

”Really? On Valentine's Day? Are you two going out on a date?”

”Maybe. Now, when I come back, you will be waiting in the kitchen. And put on a dress,” he said. He walked to the bed and gave me a quick kiss.

”But I don't have a dress!”

”What do you mean, you don't have a dress? Have you looked into your closet? It's full of dresses!”

”Exactly but have you noticed how big I am? None of them fit anymore!”

”Then I'll give you money and you can go buy yourself a dress,” he mumbled and pulled out his wallet from his pocket.

”I don't want to put on a dress. People will laugh at me. I look fat in a dress,” I mumbled as he handed me some money.

”You look fat in everything so don't worry about that,” he said with a wink. My eyes flew wide open as I stared at him.

”I'm joking! You're pregnant. You're supposed to look a bit fat, babe,” he said and pinched my cheek.

”You can't say things like that to your wife!”

”Fine. You're right. But seriously, get up and go get dressed.” He grabbed my hands and pulled me up. He hugged me for a moment.

”You're horrible. It's Valentine's Day! You better make this up to me,” I mumbled and shoved his chest. He laughed and kissed my forehead.

”I will. And buy a red dress. Or a black one. You look sexy in black.”

”I'll buy a yellow one and make sure I look horrible,” I muttered.

”Hey, baby? I love you, okay?”

”Okay.”

”Happy Valentine's Day,” he murmured before kissing me. And then he left.

About three hours later I found myself sitting in our kitchen in a navy blue dress. I thought I looked absolutely fucking stupid but at least I was in a dress like Jimmy had wanted.

By that time I knew that it wasn't going to be a normal Valentine's Day. Jimmy would be taking me somewhere. He had a surprise for me. Even though I didn't really care about Valentine's Day, I was kind of excited. I mean, no one had ever done anything really romantic to me. But then again, Jimmy could be taking me to McDonald's and not to some fancy restaurant. I wouldn't know.

When Jimmy came back home, I was already bored. I'd been sitting in the kitchen, eating ice cream for about an hour.

”Hey, babe – ” He froze as he walked into the kitchen and looked at me.

”You look beautiful,” he said finally with a smile.

”Where are we going? Do you know how long I've been sitting here?”

”Oi, oi. Calm down.” He laughed and walked out of the kitchen.

I got up from my chair and followed him up into our bedroom. I sat on the bed and watched as he took off his shirt. I looked at his chest and his many tattoos.

”Don't stare at my boobs.”

”I'm not staring at your boobs,” I said and rolled my eyes, ”Men don't have boobs.”

”Have you never heard about manboobs?”

”Well, yes but... You don't have manboobs!” Jimmy chuckled as he changed into a black suit.

”Wow. Where are we going?”

”It's a surprise,” he said with a wink. Then he grabbed my hands and pulled me up from the bed.

”Come on, let's go.”

When we got into Jimmy's car, he turned on the radio. I looked out of the window as he started driving.

”Jimmy? Why don't you buy a new car?” I asked.

”Why would I? There's nothing wrong with this one,” he said with a laugh.

”Yeah, but... You have so much money.”

”Yeah... So?”

”Well, if I had that much money, I wouldn't have a problem with spending it on everything I could possibly want,” I said with a shrug.

”You see, I'm about to have a child. Don't you think it's better to save some money for him, too?” he asked me. I looked at him and shrugged once again.

”I guess you're right. I need to pay you back, by the way, for the dress.”

”No you don't. Isn't that the thing, that when you get married, what's mine is yours, too?”

”Well, yes, but... Would you really give me, let's say, ten thousand dollars if I asked?” I asked.

”I guess I would. Why? Do you need money?”

”No! No... I was just wondering,” I said.

”Alright... You know, you can just tell me if you need something. You know I'll do just about anything to make you happy,” he told me and patted my thigh.

”I know.”

Jimmy drove us to mom's bakery.

I was a bit surprised as I got out of the car. Jimmy grabbed my hand and started pulling me into the building.

”What are we doing here?” I mumbled as he opened the door for me. I got in and saw my mom and a few customers. Mom's face lit up when she saw me. She rushed to hug me.

”Honey, you look beautiful!” she exclaimed and looked down at my stomach. She rubbed it gently before I could push her hands away.

”I'm glad you could come in and help me! You have no idea what a busy day this has been!” mom said. I looked at Jimmy and cocked an eyebrow.

”Did you take me here so that I could work?” I asked and crossed my arms over my chest.

”Your mom needed help. And I have to leave in a minute,” he said.

”Leave where? What? Did I go and buy a dress so that I could work on Valentine's Day?”

”I have something to do. I can come and pick you up later today,” he told me and gave me a kiss.

Then he left.

Mom grabbed my hand.

”Now, honey, I've been making these pink cupcakes as a gift for customers since it's Valentine's Day...”

It was 8 in the evening and I was still at the damn bakery.

Jimmy hadn't come pick me up nor called me all day. I was almost sure that he had forgotten about me or then he was on a date with someone. Either way, I was getting really mad.

”Honey, he'll show up sooner or later,” mom said and patted my shoulder. We were sitting outside on a bench in front of the building.

It was dark outside and sort of creepy. We only saw couples, walking hand in hand and being all sappy. Gross.

”This is the worst Valentine's Day ever,” I muttered, just as I saw Jimmy's car.
”See? I told you. He's here!” mom exclaimed. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest as Jimmy walked to me.

He got down on his knees in front of me, grabbing my hands.

”I'm sorry I made you wait. I know you're mad. I'm sorry,” he said. He looked amused as he looked at me. I was pouting.

”Just take me home,” I muttered and pushed his hands away. I got in the car without saying a word.

”Thanks for the help,” Jimmy said to mom before he got in the car. Hmm...?

When we got home, the whole house was completely dark. Jimmy opened the door and I marched in. I was about to walk upstairs when Jimmy stopped me.

”Wait, wait, wait. Rachel, I have something for you,” he said. I turned around and looked at him.

”What?” I muttered. He laughed at me and pinched my cheek.

”You're so cute when you're mad,” he told me.

Then he grabbed my hand and started pulling me through our living room. He went to the back door and opened it. He pulled me outside after him and that's when I saw it all.

There were candles everywhere, all over our backyard. It looked absolutely amazing. There were some plates and glasses and probably some good food on the table.

Jimmy led me there and I sat down. By that time I was in tears.

”This is really romantic,” I mumbled and sniffled, ”No one has ever done anything like this to me.”

”Well, this is kind of stupid to be honest. But I wanted to do something for you,” he said with a grin.

”Did you cook something?”

”Uh... No. You know I can't cook. I just put the plates and stuff so that it would look even better,” he admitted and laughed. I wiped my eyes as tears rolled down my cheeks.

”You're a really good husband,” I mumbled and tried to smile. I only managed to grimace. I must've looked really horrible.

”I guess I wanted to thank you for everything.”

”You don't have to thank me. I'm surprised you haven't left me. I'm not at my best right now,” I mumbled.

”You do know how happy you make me, don't you? By giving me a kid?”

”Now I do,” I whispered.

Then he took something out of his pocket. He handed me a small, blue box. I swallowed hard. It must've been something really expensive! I took it with shaking hands and opened it. It was... Empty.

I looked at Jimmy.

”I just wanted to see your face,” he said and couldn't stop laughing, ”You thought I'd gotten you something expensive!”

”I'm too happy to even get mad at you for being so stupid,” I mumbled and sniffled.

”I know. I was counting on that,” he told me. Then he leaned over the table and pulled me into a kiss.

”Happy Valentine's Day, Rachel,” he murmured against my lips.

”I love you.”