Sequel: So Far Away

That's Why I Got a Heater For Your Thighs

Rachel Sullivan From Bloom's Bakery

”Good morning, this is Rachel Sullivan. I'm calling from Bloom's Bakery and was wondering if it would be possible to meet Mr. Robinson today?”

I was calling to the Robinson's Bakery and trying to get a meeting with the ”Big Boss” aka Mr. Robinson himself. My mother thought it was very important that I would go to the meeting and not her, because she thought she couldn't handle it if it got personal or something like that.

”Let me check... Yes, actually, right before lunch would be okay with him. Is that okay?” Some girl was on the other line. She sounded somewhat bored and I couldn't blame her. I was pretty bored, too.

”Yeah, that's fine. Thanks.” I put the phone away.

We hadn't yet figured out what to do with our little problem called Robinson's Bakery. We had lost a bunch of customers because they had opened their bigger and apparently better bakery right next to ours. We didn't know how to fight back and I was now sent to talk with the boss.

After I'd sat there for a moment, I realized that I had to get ready for the meeting. And I had to look awesome and not chubby at all, because that would have made him think that I don't work hard. You know, because I work at a bakery... He would think that I only eat cake and pies instead of working hard. That was why I couldn't look chubby.

After I had decided to wear a black dress (which, by the way, made me look amazing) I got out of the house and walked to my car, just as Jimmy was getting out of his car.

”Hey, Rach, wait a minute,” he said as I was getting into my car. He grabbed my hand and looked at me.

”About last night... You haven't said a word to me,” he said, ”And I just want you to know that
I'm sorry but I can't just not go with the guys. It's our band, we're in it together. And if one is missing...” he trailed off and shook his head.

”Look, I understand. I'm just a bit disappointed that you won't be at the checkup,” I said and shrugged.

”Me too.”

”But hey, I really need to go. What are you even doing home now?” I asked as I sat in my car.

”Oh, I forgot some things. Give me a kiss,” he said and leaned down to kiss me.

”Do I look okay? For a meeting with rich people?”

”You look great,” he said and winked at me. I blew him a kiss and closed the car door.

I wasn't really even nervous as I walked into Robinson's Bakery. But as I looked around the place, I couldn't believe my eyes. The place was really big and... White. Everything was white and clean. It didn't feel as cosy as ours felt but, wow, the place was amazing.

I looked around the room for a moment before I saw a man in a black suit talking to a woman in one of the corners. The place was full of people, I mean like really full, so it took me a moment to get to the man.

”Mr. Robinson?” I asked. The man turned to look at me. He nodded.

”Yes, how may I help you?” he asked and crossed his arms over his chest.

”I'm Rachel Sullivan,” I said and shook his hand, ”I'm from Bloom's Bakery.”

”Oh, Rachel. Hello,” he said and smiled slightly.

He pulled me into a backroom which was apparently his office, too. We both sat down and then the silence fell. What was I supposed to say now? That I wanted him to pack his stuff and leave our bakery alone?

”I assume you came here because we opened our business so close to yours,” he said and waited for me to say something. Anything. But I couldn't think of a word to say. I cleared my throat and nodded.

”Can I ask you why you did it? You knew it would be a risk. You knew someone's sales would go down,” I said quietly. He shrugged and stood up. Then he started walking around the office, you know, like the big boss' do in some awesome movies.

”Well, we had our reasons. Let's just say that this is a good place for a bakery like ours. And as we've all seen, it was a great idea. We have more customers here than we have ever had,” he said. Then he finally sat down again and looked at me.

”Well...”

I couldn't tell him that we had lost a bunch of customers because of them. I couldn't tell him that we all wanted them to fuck off.

”I'm sorry, I really need to use the toilet. My bladder is... Weak,” I said quickly and stood up. I might as well get myself out of the situation. And my bladder really was weak.

”Oh, that's alright. Pregnant?”

”Excuse me?”

”Well, I just thought, my daughter is... Nevermind,” he said and smiled. I nodded and walked to the door.

”Thanks for meeting me, Mr. Robinson,” I said.

”It was nice to finally meet one of the Blooms. Though, you said your last name wasn't Bloom. Are you married? No offense, you just look very young...”

”Uh, yes. Actually I am,” I said and nodded, ”And pregnant, you were right about that.”

When I finally left their bakery, I went straight to my mom's which was... About 50 feet away. There were a few older women chatting with my mom as I walked in.

”Rachel, honey, how did it go?” she asked and rushed to me.

”Well... I didn't know what to say to him,” I admitted with a sigh. She pulled out a chair for me and I sat down.

”I asked him why they opened up here and he told me something about this being a good place for business,” I explained.

”Well this is! But, damn, they are going to harm us,” she mumbled and shook her head. I
pouted a bit. I didn't like to see my mom like that. She looked miserable – and I hadn't seen her like that in years. Not since Rebecca had divorced her husband, the one that mom had liked very much.

”We need to figure out something. Fast,” I mumbled and nodded.

I drove back home a few hours later. We had eaten some cake with mom and tried to figure out how to handle the situation. We ended up being stuck in the same situation but I left the place a bit chubbier again because of all the cake.

As I walked in, I knew that Jimmy was home already. I didn't find him inside the house so I went to the backyard and found him sitting on the porch, smoking a cigarette. He had his phone in his hand and was staring into the darkness. He didn't seem to be cold, even though the air was freezing and he didn't have a hoodie on.

”Jimmy?” I asked and sat down next to him.

”Oh, you're home,” he said and smiled at me. I nodded.

”Can I ask you something?”

”Yeah,” he nodded.

”Is Michelle pregnant?”

”Wait, what? Michelle? I doubt she is... Why do you ask?” he asked with a laugh.

”Well, I happened to find a pregnancy test when we were at their place the other day...”

”Were you snooping around?” he asked and cocked an eyebrow. He put away the cig and pulled me against his side by wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

”No, no!” I exclaimed, ”I just happened to see it behind the toilet seat.”

”Oh, please, why would you look behind a toilet seat if you weren't snooping around?” He looked rather amused and I couldn't help but roll my eyes and snort.

”So, what did you do today?” I asked and tried to change the subject.

”Played drums.”

”No way, really?” I rolled my eyes once again.

”Well you wanted to know what I did...” he laughed and ruffled my hair before I managed to push his hand away.

”So what did you do? Who did you meet before lunch?”

”Oh, some boring work stuff. There is this family, the Robinsons, and they have opened a bakery right next to ours. We've been losing customers ever since,” I told him.

”Ouch.”

”Yeah...”

”When are we going to find out what kind of a baby we're going to have?”

”What do you mean, what kind of?”

”You know – a boy, a girl, black, white, Asian, Chinese or American...”

”Oh ha ha. I'm pretty sure it's American. And I'm also pretty sure that it is white – since we're both that, too,” I said.

”But a boy or a girl?”

”Oh, I think that we will find out in the next checkup... Which you won't be going to...”

”Rach, you know how bad I feel about missing it. There's no need to rub it in my face,” he mumbled.

”Yeah, I know. I just wanted you to be there.”

”I know, I know.”

”Well, this sucks.”

”Do you want to, like, make out?” he asked.

”No, not really,” I admitted with a shurg.

”Oh, Rach, come on. I really need to do something,” he whined.

”Something?”

”Anything! If you don't want to have sex then I at least need to make out. Or you could give me a blowjob. Or a handjob.”

”But isn't that sex, too?”

”I'm leaving tomorrow. Do I really need to live the next few weeks without sex?” he asked.

”I don't know, do you?”

”Smartass.”

”That's why you love me,” I pointed out.

”I hope our kid won't grow up to be one, too,” he mumbled and shook his head. I could see a stupid grin on his face.

”You're a smartass, too. Even worse than I am!”

”Whatever. Whatever!” he exclaimed with a laugh and ruffled my hair as he pulled me against his chest. Then, in one swift move, he laid down on his back and pulled me on top of him, making me straddle his waist. He kept his hands firmly on my hips as we looked at each other.

”Well why did you do that? I could've easily gotten nauseous and thrown up on you,” I murmured and flashed a smile.

”I'm going to turn you on so that we can have sex,” he murmured and pulled my face closer to his.

”I'd like to see you try,” I mumbled as his lips touched mine. He laughed into my mouth as I closed my eyes.

"By the way, you would never throw up on me."

"Do you want to see me try?"
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been too long, I apologize!