Status: completed

Sweetest Downfall

Nine - Emilyn

"Now, give me dignified," commanded the pink skinned man, Aeto, as he adjusted my chin. Aeto was my assigned mentor and he'd already worked with Presh as much as he could for the day but after four hours or so, it was evident that she was a lost cause. She was too stubborn and wanted to do things her own way. Aeto gave her some last advice which was to stay as beautiful and cold as possible. Maybe her ruthlessness would be appealing to some Districts. It certainly did show her determination.

I tried to do as he instructed, straightened my spine, pushed my shoulders back, and tried to show very little emotion through my eyes. Aeto narrowed his golden eyes at me, trying to get me to falter. When it was apparent that I wouldn't, he grinned. "Remember, Emilyn, stay strong, confident, and most of all: Sexy. Give the women of the Capitol a run for their money and give the men something to admire!"

"Can do," I grinned and Aeto nodded approvingly. Suddenly, a Peace Keeper entered the room and announced that it was time to eat dinner. I looked over at Emmer, Presh, and Setel who'd all be watching me prepare for my interviews and Emmer nodded. They all rose to their feet and then we all proceeded to the cafeteria. Our mentors let Presh and I get out food first so we could sit down in the chairs facing the large TV hanging on the wall. Tonight was the night they'd announce the scores- and mine would appear first.

"You nervous?" Asked Setel as she took a seat beside me. Her blue tinted skin seemed a little lighter than the last time we spoke but everything else seemed the same. I wasn't sure why but her presence seemed to lift my spirits. I nodded in her direction and tried to take a bite of a roll. "Well don't be. I'm sure you did great," she smiled and I was grateful for the compliment.

Presh began to eat but as much as I tried, I really couldn't. My stomach was churning and I was nervous as hell to find out what my score would be. I caught Emmer looking at me quite few times, but he doesn't say anything. He knew what it was like to be where I am now- anxious, waiting, scared. Finally, when it becomes closer to the time, the Peace Keepers turn on the TV and I watch as they do some speech about the Capitol and the Districts before getting to the scores. I gulp as I watch my picture appear on the screen. I sucked in a breath and waited three agonizing seconds before the number appeared.

A seven!

I wanted to scream of excitement right then and there but I waited as I watched Presh's picture come up. Suddenly, a number appeared below it- a seven as well. We both grin and start to chow down as well. I take special care to watch for the big numbers, like the boy from District 3 who scored an 8 and Shay's -who scored a 5 herself- partner who ended up having a score of 9. Presh and I watched as the competition's numbers flooded onto the screen and though I couldn't tell what was going on in her head, I knew exactly what I was thinking.

I really have a chance of winning this, don't I?

Image


Presh had left for her interview preparation some time ago, though I wasn't sure if she'd started yet or not. Setel prepped my outfit a bit more and touched up my face just a tiny bit. She had dressed me in tight black pants and tight white collared shirt which was partially unbuttoned. She kept my hair in the faux hawk and decorated the left side of my face in tiny gems. They sparkled and twinkled and it was truly a sight to see. I smiled at myself in the mirror before going over to the side of the stage so I could look out at the crowd. Hundreds of Capitol people had gathered to watch the interviews today and it scared me to death.

"You'll do fine," Setel whispered before disappearing backstage and leaving me alone. Soon, however, the other male tributes form a line behind me. A Peace Keeper gave us a nod and I started to March out into the stage where a large arc of chairs sat. I take a seat in the District 1 chair and Presh, who had lead the girls in from the other side, sat down in the seat next to mine. The other tributes did the same as the crowd cheered. A moment later, the most iconic man in all of Panem, Caesar Flickerman, rushed out onto the stage and stood in the middle of the arc of chairs. He was dressed in his normal dark blue suit that was covered in tiny bulbs that twinkled occasionally.

"So, how's everyone in the Capitol?" He called into his microphone and the crowd went nuts! They're eyes were trained on the green skinned man with soft green hair. He grinned at them. "So, we have some very nice contestants here this year, am I right?"

Again, the crowd goes wild.

"So, let's get down to it," he beamed and starts walking over to me. "Put three minutes on the clock," he paused and waited as however he was acknowledging put three minutes on the clock -the standard time tributes got for their interview. "So, Male Tribute from District One.... Your name would be?" He asked and held the microphone up so I could answer.

"Emilyn Seeris," I said calmly but with little bit of forcefulness to my voice. I had to appear strong.

"So, Emilyn, you were one of three tributes who volunteered for the Games. Why'd you do such thing?"

"Well, that boy," I started to lie, "He was just so tiny and frail and I couldn't let a boy with no chance go into the Games. I offered my life to save his."

"That was very kind of you," Caesar said and I nodded in mock agreement. "We all saw that you scored a 7 on your session with the Gamemakers. How does that make you feel?"

"Good! I certainly didn't expect it," I said before it was too late. I was supposed to be strong, but here I was laughing along with our host. Focus, Emilyn, I told myself. I let my eyes harden and prepare for the next question.

"What is your goal for the Games?"

"To win," I said with a cocky grin. Caesar laughs a little.

"Well of course," he said and looked down at his watch. "Time's almost up but I have one last question for you. What's waiting for you back at home? A girl? Family?"

"I, uh," I stopped speaking. What did I have waiting for me? A father that I couldn't make proud to save my life -quite literally-, a little brother who is to young to remember me if I die, and a mother with a kind heart. My mother is who I have waiting for me, though it's my father who I'm struggling to make it back too. My mother had all this time to love me, and I had loved her, but I just wanted to make my father love me. "Have some family."

Suddenly the buzzer went off and my questions are done. He immediately moved onto Presh, whom I tuned out because I couldn't have cared less about her. I sit there and ponder my family and my reason for fighting and before I notice, Caesar has already moved onto Shay. I missed the first two questions or so, but I didn't think they were really that important. "So, Shay, when you came out for that parade, you were absolutely stunning! Tell us how you felt when you wore that beautiful costume!" He exclaimed like a little school girl.

"Honestly, Caesar, words can't even describe it. Lomet is an amazing stylist, he made me feel so comfortable in the suit! There wasn't any awkward poking from any part of it!" She grinned from ear to ear. Classic answer with a dazzling smile? She was totally going to get sponsors, I was sure of it.

"Well that's a relief, isn't it?" Caesar asked.

"Oh yes," Shay answered with a soft laugh.

"And what about this lovely ensemble?" Caesar said, examining the outfit and causing me to check it out too. Shay was wearing a dark blue dress that most would consider a mermaid style with sapphire accents raising from the hem, reminding me of air bubbles. It was almost as if she were underwater. A beautiful string of pearls decorates her neck and she had earrings to match. Her hair hung down her bare back in delicate curls, and the blue ribbon that I recognized as her token was tied in a bow. She wore dazzling silver heels, but even with the extra height she seemed short.

"I can't decide which I love more!" She exclaimed with a giggle as she spun around in a circle, causing the crowd -as well as the tributes- to gasp at the sight of the sparkling gems.

"Well, honey I love you in both! you're just such a sweetheart, isn't she so sweet everyone?" Caesar paused as the crowd cheered. Shay waved at her adoring fans with a shy shake of the hand before focusing back on the green haired man. "Shay, tell us about yourself. How'd you feel when your name was called?"

"I was... I was okay until I had to say goodbye to my family. My mother gave me this ribbon, it was my grandmothers. I never met her, but I can feel her sometimes, when I'm sad or lonely," she answered, her voice trailed off near the end. Her eyes seemed to grow bigger and filled with more emotion. Seeing Shay like that was truly a sad sight.

"Oh!" Caesar called out and quickly gave the tribute a tight hug. "I'm sure she loves you." An uproar of "I love you, Shay! suddenly sounded from the crowd. Caesar Flickerman nodded fast in agreement. "That's right, we all love you, Shay." Then, the buzzer went off and I returned to my thoughts.

For whatever reason I couldn't explain, Shay was plaguing my thoughts and I was scared for her, for me. She had determination in her, a will to fight and an even bigger will to win the Games. She might be bigger competition than I thought, but even that didn't stop me for feeling bad for her. If it came down to me and her... I'd want it to be her who survives. At least she has someone, a family, who all love her. She has someone to look forward to seeing again. I don't. And just like that, in that moment, any feeling that I would win without a doubt left my body.

There's a chance I may not make it, I thought. I could die in the arena and there's not a doubt in my mind that I won't.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the late update.
Comments are much loved!