Status: completed

Sweetest Downfall

Eleven - Emilyn

"Almost done eating?" Setel asked as she took a seat next to me. We'd awoken at dawn and headed up to the roof and in turn, boarded our own personal hovercrafts. These hovercrafts were now on their way to the arena where the Hunger Games was being held. I looked around as we all boarded but the only person I truly saw was Presh. She might have been a huge pain in my ass during these few training days, but I silently hoped her death would be quick and painless.

I stabbed at my breakfast with my fork, to nervous to actually eat anything. Occasionally, I'd push a piece of egg into my mouth but my anticipation made the substance vile tasting and it was very difficult to swallow it. I'd hardly touched the food at all, other than that. How could anyone eat at a time like this? After all, we were all being sent to the same place to brutally murder each other until there was one victor. What about that scenario gave anyone an appetite?

"Yeah, I guess," I lied to the blue skinned woman. I wanted to sit here all day, prolonging my meal and possibly my life. There was a feeling inside me that was nervous for these Games -not scared, but something almost like it- and I just couldn't shake it away.

"Emilyn," Setel said quietly, "I can tell you're a strong boy. Physically, mentally, emotionally. Just keep a clear head and I think you could win this."

"I can't, Setel-" I started but she cut me off with a precise shake of her head.

"I know you can do it. I know you'll win," Setel grinned and stole a bite of my breakfast. "Come on, let's get dressed."

Image


I walked through the underground tunnel with a renewed vigor and spirit. Setel's pep talk had really done wonders for me and I was now very confident. Plus, this outfit -which I expected to be clunky and hard to move in- for the Games was actually pretty easy to move in and felt light on my skin. The tight black shirt is covered by a tight, heat retaining and heat reflective jacket over that. Also, there is pair of tight black pants with a thinly layered -but still effective- pair of snow pants and a pair of hybrid running-hiking boots. Soon, I entered a small room with a circular platform right in the center. Cautiously, I stepped onto it and let out a big breath of relief.

These Games are the final test. If- ahem, I mean when I become the victor... My thoughts trailed off a little but I blink hard and get them back on track. Then my father will love me.

I closed my eyes and started to breathe slowly, trying to push all family thoughts away. If I wanted to win, I would have to win for myself, not my father. I would make it home because I wanted to see my family again. I would win this because I have the will to live. I would win this for me. Suddenly, the platform shifted under me and started to raise. I must have gotten lost in my thoughts but it doesn't really matter. In a moment, I raise to the surface at the same time as all the other tributes.

I take a moment to look around the arena, careful not to take a step off of the platform unless I wanted to be blown to bits. To the right, a tall field of grass stretches out until it miraculously blends into a forest. Toward the center, though a little to the right, the faint outline of a mountain can be seen and I make a metal note that if I could make it there, that'd be the perfect advantage. The large, golden horn that all of us tributes was positioned around -the Cornucopia- supported weapons and backpacks of all sorts. I quickly spot the only sword and set my eyes on it.

“Ladies and gentlemen, let the Fifty-sixth Hunger Games begin!” Announced the infamous Claudius Templesmith. A sudden pang of adrenaline started to races through my veins and I practically let forward. Everyone around me was moving in a frenzy, trying to get to a certain pack or weapon- I even see a tribute or two fall to the ground.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Presh and she leaped at Shay, throwing knives poised and ready. I almost call out to her, but I saw Herring push Shay out of the way as fast he could. Herring then raced toward the spear -which happened to be right next to the sword- and grabbed it. I pushed a tribute out of my way as fast as I could and grabbed the sword. Herring raised his spear and aimed it right at Presh's heart. Without thinking, I rushed toward the male tribute and came up behind him. I raised my sword as high as I could and then slammed the hilt down as hard as possible onto the back of his head. Blood seeps from the wound and he falls to his knees. Not dead, but not in good condition. I stared Presh down. "Run."

Presh did as I said and ran off in the other direction. Herring got up and started to follow Shay and some other girl off to some unknown location. On the ground was a tribute, dead from a fatal stab wound in his back. I ripped the backpack he held from his lifeless and hands and started to head in the direction of the forests. That's when I spot him, the boy from District Three. If I remember correctly, his name is Cyrus. His jade green eyes met mine and in that moment, I felt as if he was inviting me into the Career group- and yet challenging me. He was trying to get me to prove myself so I could travel with the careers.

Conveniently, off to my left I could see the District Nine girl rushing into the tall grass and toward the forest. I let my eyes meet Cyrus's one last time and I gave him my cockiest grin. I then chased down the girl and found myself in the grass. As soon as I felt I was close enough to her, I jumped and tackled her to the ground. She screamed.

"Please!" She pleaded but it was too late. My sword had already started to plunge through her back, snapping her spine with a clean crunch. She was dead. I looked toward Cyrus, who was now smiling. Using his hand, he signaled that it was okay for me to follow him. And so, I did.

He ran quickly and I chased after him, barely even breaking a sweat. We headed deep into the forest, took some crazy twists and turns but finally we reached something that was oddly beautiful. It seemed as it were a big, deep hole, but in reality it was a collection of hills running down into a bowl-type landscape. The hill looked easy enough to climb down and back and then I noticed that several backpacks were down there. I was sure that they contained various medicines and food and it looked like an easy grab. Were the Careers really stupid enough to leave their supplies out in the open?

"Guys!" Cyrus called out loudly. I almost shushed him, but I remembered that he and I were Careers. You'd have to be really brave or really stupid to try to take on the both of us. Suddenly, the leaves on the trees started to rustle and soon, one by one, the Careers dropped from the trees. I scanned where they'd once been which was now made into a large platform and canopy. Cyrus grinned. "We had a few us go ahead and build this. Us other Careers grabbed supplies. Clever, right?"

"Right," I agreed and kept scanning the canopy. That's when I grasped their plan. The bowl was a very open range and up the trees, the Careers were virtually hidden. If anyone tried to steal out food, they'd be shot on sight. Before me are only three Careers, but they all seem as scary and intimidating as could be. There's a tall, muscular boy with a perfect smirk and short brown hair, whom I remembered was named Micah. Next to him stood a strong, yet lanky young lady who could be no more than fourteen. She looked as quick as could be and had destruction in her eyes. She had shaggy blond hair and I think her name had been Jude. The third was also a girl, who was very tall with dark skin and dark hair. She had round brown eyes and looked dangerous. Her name, I thought, was Nita.

"I think it's agreed that I'll be leading the group," Micah said, his voice cold. I had nothing to say about the decision but Jude looked as if she could snap. But, even she kept silence. I hadn't seen Micah in action yet and I was sure I didn't want too.

"If Cyrus says you're good enough to be with us, you must be pretty ruthless," said Nita slowly.

Cyrus beamed. "I just saw him stab some girl through her spine! I heard it snap!"

"Nice work," muttered Jude, though she seemed less than impressed. She eyed my sword. "You any good with that thing?"

"The best," Cyrus said, his voice very deep and masculine. Nita's small, petite lips curved upward into a snarky smile. I looked at her and saw that she was wearing a pair of metal claws. That kind of fighting was up close and personal, so I deemed that as her statement of bravery and bloodthirstiness. Jude had both a quiver and bow strapped to her back and Cyrus held a large mace in his left hand. Micah, on the other hand, had large silver trident strapped to his back. I had expected maybe Herring to chose the trident because his industry was fishing and tridents were used to catch them -sometimes- but no, Micah had grabbed it.

"You any good with that?" I asked him carefully.

Micah grinned and it was scarier than seeing Satan himself could have been. His eyes were filled with bloodlust and he shivered. His voice came out in a soft, milky whisper that just screamed psychopath.

"Superb."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the late update.
Home problems.
Please, tell us who you're rooting for! :D