Status: completed

Sweetest Downfall

Fifteen - Emilyn

The sun had already set when Cyrus and I had begun climbing into the Career's canopy. We'd avoided talking to them much of the day after the cruelty displayed by Micah. We'd been so disgusted and even I thought that there could have been an easier, more efficient, and quicker way to kill the boy. In order for me to become victor, others have to die, but there is nowhere that it says that these deaths can't be peaceful.

"Nice of you two to join us," said Satan -uh, Micah- slowly. I shrugged and laid down next to him. Down below there was a soft rustle of a woodland creature and a soft tune of crickets. The night seemed all to peaceful but I knew that it was anything but. "You're just in time for the display," he said, turning his head to the crowd. Almost immediately the anthem started started playing and I had to close my eyes for just a moment, trying not to think to hard about the faces I was about to see. Tonight there were four faces in the sky- the girl from Eight, the boy from Twelve, the girl from Ten, and of course, the boy from District Five.

"I'll take first watch," I muttered to Micah. He patted my back and said some encouraging -or rather it seemed encouraging to himself- and rolled over. I wasn't afraid that Micah would kill me in my sleep, nor would any of the others, but it was all I could do to distract myself from today's events. For the second night in a row, I got barely any sleep.

Image


The boom of a cannon woke me from my slumber, as it did Jude, Nita, and Cyrus. Micah however, didn't really blot upright like the rest of us. Instead, he just sat up slowly and looked at the morning horizon over the trees opposite of us. He stretched his arm and let out a long, drawn out yawn. "Beautiful," he whispered.

Cyrus gave me a concerned look but I tried not to focus on it. Instead, I changed the subject. "What are today's plans Micah?" I asked, my was voice firm but sounded like the kind of man who would take orders. Micah stretched again for a moment before giving an answer.

"Well, we can't eat from the packs forever, so I figured that we'd do a little hunting today. Kill as many wild boars or squirrels or even fish as possible and preserve most of it. Stock up, I guess."

"Sounds good," I said, my voice hard and determined. "Who's guarding camp?"

"Well, since you had the nerve to ask, you," he grinned and I was forced to nod as if I respected his decision, "And Nita, since it'd be pretty hard to get close to squirrels with just hand claws. In fact, even if you did, you'd just rip it to shreds and it'd be useless."

"Understood," she muttered, a little less enthusiastic to be staying at camp than I was. We shared a glance; it was as cold as ice.

Jude, Cyrus, and Micah all prepared for a long day of hunting after that, each taking a pack with them, just in case they get lost or need some of its contents. They grabbed their weapons and each headed off in a different direction of the woods. A good long twenty minutes of silence passed between the brown haired girl and myself and you could feel the tension between us as the day grew darker. It was almost sunset by the time I decided to speak.

"Lovely day out," I said, just to break the silence. It was sort of the truth. The winds was blowing at the just the right speed and it wasn't too cold. The sun was shining but it wasn't too bright. If we weren't in a giant arena waiting to kill or be killed, I would have found a lake, stripped out of my clothes, and went skinny dipping. It seemed like the perfect escape on a day like today.

"Don't talk to me," said Nita. I looked over at the dark skinned girl, practically appalled. It wasn't that I'd never been disliked before -Presh had hated me- but something about its suddenness was rather odd and rude.

"Is there something I did wrong?" I asked, stepping closer to her, avoiding the hill. She turned to face me then, eyes impassive. She stepped toward me as well and clinched her fists under her metal claws.

"Yes, actually," she said, eyes darting from me, my sword, and then to her claws. I didn't like where this was headed. "You're just a pretty boy from District One. Got everything handed to him and even volunteered for the Games. You just feel so superior to us all, don't you?"

"No, that would be Micah."

"No. Micah is a bit cynical but he doesn't think he's better than anyone else. He's a good leader, though his methods are a little unorthodox. You, on the other hand, think you have a chance in these Games."

"I do have a chance," I say through gritted teeth. Nita was starting to severely piss me off. Her eyes narrowed and she laughed.

"You don't have any chance at winning, Pretty Boy. You're going to get down to the final six -maybe- and then somebody with a reason, with passion, and with conviction will slaughter you like the worthless little prick you are."

"Those are dangerous words, Nita," I said, my eyes narrowing at her as well. Once again, she laughed.

"Dangerous? You think you're so scary don't you? Well let me tell you something," she smirked and leaned forward. "You're not fooling anyone! We all know that you're a scared little boy playing pretend. You're not worth the effort they put into prepping you for the Games."

"Where is this coming from?" I shouted at her, my face crimson with anger. There was no doubt that all the cameras were focused on us two at the moment. The audience must be on the edge of their seats, waiting to see what happens next, though I could already tell where it was headed.

"It comes from the fact that you're trying to win everyone over while trying to be dangerous. You're just a liar and a little boy," she sighed. "I'm done complaining about it. It's now or never."

And just like that, the girl leaped for me, her claws out in front of her as she uppercut. I stumbled out of the way and pulled my sword from it's place at my belt loop. Nita lunged for me again, but I parried her attack with my sword. The metal mashing together caused a loud screech but I'm not sure she even heard it. Nita grunted and tried gabbing at my stomach. Once again, I was lucky enough to block it with the broad of my sword. Nita used this to her advantage, however, and grabbed the hilt of my sword in the palm of her hands. We both struggled to get it away from the other but in the end, it flew from my hands and to the ground beside us.

"Score one for Nita," she said and leaped for me again. Fortunately, I grabbed both of her wrists in my hands, but it knocked us to the ground. Nita caught herself first, finding a way to straddle me and pin my legs down while I struggle to keep her claws away from any part of me. "I want you dead, District One!"

She tried to break free and even lashed out, but the Hunger Game Gods must have been in my favor. We both heard footsteps coming from a distance in the woods. The person was singing an obnoxiously loud tune -the voice, I recognized, was Micah's- and they were getting closer by the second. Nita swore and spit on the ground next to me. "Micah actually likes you, One. He thinks you got moxie. So, I'll let you live another day."

Nita started to get off me and my grip on her wrists loosened. "Oh, and don't think about even telling Micah. He may like you but if you open your mouth, I'll kill you in three seconds flat. He won't even bat an eye. Less competition."

"I-i won't," I stuttered and laid there. The Hunger Games were really starting to take a wrong turn for me.

Image


I took watch again that night just for the simple fact that I needed to get the hell away from the Careers and having nightfall as a cover would help. Plus, I was going to bring Cyrus along with me. As soon as I was definite that everyone upon the canopy was asleep, I nudged Cyrus. His eyes fluttered open slowly and he looked confused. "I can't stay here any longer," I explained. "I need out."

"Then I'm going with you," he promised. We both nodded.

"I need you to climb down there," I said, pointing to the hill and a small nook where I'd stashed my sword while the other Careers had been eating. I'd made sure Cyrus had seen what I'd done, just for this. "I need you to get us each a pack or two and get out weapons. Please."

By the moonlight, I saw him nod and a moment later, he climbed down from the canopy as calmly and quietly as he could. I heard a small amount of rustling but no one tossed in their sleep, so I was sure that we were just fine. Cyrus must have moved fast because I heard a soft coo which was his signal to me. I leaned over the canopy and called out to him, quietly, for my sword. He was reluctant, but he threw it up. With much practice and skill back home, I was able to catch it right at the hilt. Smiling, I pulled it up and scooted closer to the other tributes, one in particular. Nita.

I raised my sword as high as I could, my mind already made up. I plunged the weapon downward and it went straight through the poor girl's neck. She made no noise, not even a slight moan of pain. She was dead. I pulled my sword out and jumped from the canopy to the forest floor. The impact hurt my feet but as soon as Cyrus handed me my pack and I slung it around my shoulder, we took off into the night, only faltering -only slightly- when the canon went off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Late update.
Comment!