Status: completed

Sweetest Downfall

One - Emilyn

It was an oddity to me that I was there, sitting on the train, heading to the other Districts and ultimately the Capital. I used my afternoons, weekends, and any waking moment I could to train for these Games but oddly enough, it hadn't been me who was drawn. I was kind of glad to take his place. The poor boy was only thirteen, skinny, and with pleading eyes. It wasn't that he was underfed or anything- just not the fighting type. I volunteered in an instant and then my partner was drawn and then we were off.

My mother had come to see me off, but Father didn't bother. It was his way of telling me that he knew I'd win. I'm what they call a Career tribute, I've trained all my life to be reaped into the Games, win them, and bring the glory to my home. My little brother must have stayed behind with him, trying to be like him. It doesn't make me mad. I'm going to win this, I thought to myself.

The day droned on and on, pretty much. The only interesting part was when I got up to go use the trains restrooms. We had stopped at District 4 to pick up two more that were sure never to return. When I exited the bathroom, I caught a glimpse of my opponent, the girl tribute of District 4. It was just a brief glance, a flash of blond hair and curious eyes. She stopped for less than a second before the hostess of our train yelled at her to keep moving. "Shay!" The girl responded and followed.

I walked back to my seat, a smirk on my pretty little face. Let's not kill that yourself, unless worse comes to worse. The promise to myself seemed unrealistic. She was going to die, whether it was by my hand or not. I would win this. But, still, seeing her before our time in the arena.... It just seemed wrong to kill her after that. I'd have to let someone else get to her. Such a shame, Shay. You would have grown up to be so beautiful.

I smirked and turned my head to watch out the window, nothing on my mind. I was convinced I'd be the victor. I'd stop at nothing to get that title.

I'd stop at nothing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please enjoy! :D