Status: completed

Sweetest Downfall

Nineteen - Emilyn

In the dream, my brother and I were outside our house, laying back in the soft grass and looking up at the sky. The clouds moved and swirled faster than any real cloud could and started to form themselves into impossible shapes. The sky was a slate blue and the there seemed to be no wind, despite how chilly I felt. The calm before the storm, I realized.

"You're not coming home," said my little brother. My head whipped toward his but he kept his eyes trained on the clouds. Seeing him then, even in a dream, I saw that he was the spitting image of me- soft brown hair and milky brown eyes to match. His lips were fuller and pinker than mine though, but it made him look even more adorable.

Except, I didn't find him very adorable in that moment. His brow was furrowed in concentration as he looked at the world above him. His lips were pursed and his eyes looked empty, soulless, and as if he'd lost all hope in humanity. Was this him now? Was this God giving me a peek as to what my brother has become in my brief absence? If it was, it didn't help me at all. He seemed to have the same attitude my father had about everything- emptiness and disappointment.

"Why do you say that, Nolan?"

He laughed slightly and sat up straight. I followed suit. He looked me over, starting at my head and didn't finish until every inch of visible flesh had been seen. He took hold of my wrist, his tiny fingers gripping me for dear life. He shrugged and ran his hand along my arm. "This," he said, "This is the skin of a dead man."

All of a sudden, he dropped my arm and sprang to his feet. He started running before I even got to my feet. "Nolan! Wait!"

I chased after him, but the earth in front of me shifts and falls. I skid to a stop and peer over the edge. There was a long drop into what I assumed was nothing but darkness. I turned on my heel and the scenic changed. I was in the forest part of the arena, back in the Games. The sky had turned the foul green of a stormy sea and thunder was roaring in the distance. The trees moved against a wind that I couldn't feel.

"Emilyn!"

Once again, I turned, and found my mother. She was standing against a large elm, wind throwing her hair around her. She had her hands clenched into fists and she had desperation written all over her face. "Mom!" I shouted and ran to her, but she then fell to her knees with a scream that was cut short.

As her body slumped to the forest floor, Presh's profile came into view, a large sword -my sword- in hand. It was dripping with my mother's blade. She smirked. "He's right, you know."

"Who is?" I asked, trying not to scream. I wanted to unleash everything I was feeling, make her feel my pain and do so with every fiber of my being.

"You brother," she smirked, blue eyes flashing. "You will not win the Games."


Image


"You okay?" Cyrus coughed out. Truth be told, my body had been awake for hours after it sprung me from that horrible nightmare. My mind, however, had been hollow. I had been sitting there for possibly hours, just staring at the grass in front of me. The nightmare really took its toll on me. What did it all mean?

It was Fate trying to tell you that you will lose this. You will never return to your family, I told myself.

"Yes, go back to sleep," I told my partner. "We have a long day of walking until we reach even the base of the mountain, you need all the rest you can get."

"I'm fine-"

"I'm serious. Get some sleep." After that, Cyrus closed his eyes and stopped arguing with me. I curled my knees in tighter but after sitting that way for several minutes, my mind was now awake and I needed to move around a little. Silently, I rose to my feet, looked over my shoulder at Cyrus and then ventured into the forest. I shouldn't have left him alone but I promised myself to keep close.

I walked around for maybe five minutes and even though it got my body regulated, it did little for my mind. It was still an empty, sad husk. Did I really believe that I wouldn't make it home? It was certainly a possibility. I sighed and headed back toward camp- and that's when I saw him. A boy, no older than me, was poised over my partner with a make-shift spear hovering right over Cyrus's heart. The stick was rather long and looked very strong and had been whittled into a fine point at the end. I raised his arms over the sleeping boy and I had a decision to make right then and there.

I could let the boy kill him and then kill the boy after- which would eliminate me from feeling guilty of having to kill my partner myself. It would also cause two deaths, which would make the competition dwindle down. Also, it would mean that the Gamemakers wouldn't even have to try and kill anyone today. On the other hand, I needed Cyrus alive. Even if I he was sick, I know he'd fight to save me if he had too and it would be rude not to help... So, in that split second.

"Take this you disgusting brute," muttered the fair haired boy, murder flashing in his eyes. I smirked and ran out toward him, swinging my sword. He didn't notice me right away, which gave me an advantage. He leaped out of my way but my slash cut across his chest. His shirt ripped and the wound was already spilling blood. He screams out, but I go after him once more. He put his hands to the gash and starts backing away slowly.

"Please," he muttered. Behind me I can hear Cyrus trying to get to his feet. I extended my sword out, its tip right his chest. I shook my head decidedly.

"I don't negotiate with those who kill those when they have no chance of fighting back," I smirked and pushed the point of my sword in a little. It broke skin and I could see blood welling up around the sword. "It's weak... What District are you from, boy?"

He gulped, and with no point in lying, he told me, "Ten. I'm from Ten!" He gasped in pain and I twisted the sword a little, digging into his flesh. Cyrus stalked over to me, wincing in pain. I felt a bit of sympathy for him. I was the reason he was in so much pain, but to ensure my own safety, it was more than necessary.

"They'd be disappointed you," I growl and slam the sword in as far as I can until I feel it hit the tree on the other side. I grinned and pulled the sword away, turning to my friend. "We can't be here when the hovercraft comes to get him. Let's go."

"We're just going to leave it?" He asked, a look of sheer shock on his face.

I narrowed my eyes. "Why wouldn't we?"

"That's the biggest boar I've ever seen!" He exclaimed and I did a double take of the boy. He's fallen after I'd withdrawn my sword and slumped into a pile at out feet. Despite his unsightly manner, there wasn't a doubt in the world that he was human. Is the poison making him hallucinate?

"C'mon buddy," I said, assuming that he truly was hallucinating. I suddenly felt even guiltier for my actions, but I knew what I was doing would help me survive in the long run. "Let's find you somewhere else to rest."