Status: completed

Sweetest Downfall

Twenty - Shay

Waiting up in these goddamned trees is killing me! I had to be one hundred percent silent as I moved among the branches and the lower I got the more dangerous it became. I had the perfect opportunity right at my fingertips a mere moment ago, but District 1 boy had slipped out of my range of fire to kill off the boy trying to kill his already near-death ally.

I had to give him credit though, poisoning the clearly stronger ally, Cyrus, was a good plan as long as he never found out. Hallucinations are new though, and I couldn’t help but laugh at the poor boy as he tried to bite thin air, he had thought that meat cubes were dangling from invisible strings from the trees. I had to wait though, waiting was my best plan but I was going to run out of food soon, I only had half a pack of dried fruit left and I was down to a few gulp-fulls of water in my canteens. I needed to either kill them or get food, but I couldn’t decide which was more important.

My stomach growled and that decided it, I needed to get meat in my body if I wanted to even stand a chance against them anyway. I slipped my pack onto my back and jumped down from the lowest branch, the pain in my ankle had gone down but I couldn’t stop the yelp of pain as gravity pushed me down onto the floor too hard. “What was that?”

They’d heard me, Oh God. I stayed froze in place, footsteps came over to the tree and I was met face to face with Cyrus, the deluded ally of District 1 Boy; he smiled down at me and waved. “It’s okay! It’s just a fairy!”

“What?” I heard the boy’s footsteps start to make their way over to me and I had to think fast. I tried to motion to Cyrus to go away but he just tried to reach down and touch my hair as a result. The footsteps were maybe a yard away now and I was running out of options, Fight or flight… I haven’t had a good meal in two days now, I can’t fight them, not now. I looked for any way of escape, to my left was a cluster of more trees and to my right was the same thing; the branches around me were too high for me to reach and there was nothing to hide under; I was completely trapped.

A cannon sounded and somewhere in the arena another tribute lay dead, Please don’t let me be the next one…

“Hey Emilyn, look over there.” Cyrus turned and pointed to something I couldn’t see. Just behind him was the silhouette of the District 1 Boy and I held my breath, fearing for my life. “It looks like a really big shadow.”

“That’s not a shadow! It’s a cave, Cyrus come on, we can use it as shelter!” They both turned and sprinted to where Cyrus’s finger had led them and I let out a huge breath of air. I leaned out just enough to see them cautiously enter a little cave carved in the side of the mountain.

“Guess the odds were in your favor huh?” I sucked in a breath and slowly turned to face the girl who was also responsible for Herring’s death.

“Presh.” I reached for a knife and she put her hands up.

“You’re not on my list right now,” She motioned with her head in the direction that the boys had just run. “They are, you in?” I looked her over and before she could say anymore I lunged for her. She wasn’t expecting this and I managed to run the knife across her cheek and into her eye, nearly popping it out of the socket. She held in a scream and shoved me off of her, covering her right eye she glared at me with the other. “You’re next my sweet.”

She knocked me into a tree as she ran past me and to the cave entrence. The wind was knocked out of me and I sat there gasping for breath; and now you’re on my list too.