Close Your Eyes

0006.

Charlie had received an endless amount of hugs within the past hour, most of which were from her Uncle Jimmy who’d said that she seemed like she needed a hug every time he wrapped his arms around her and nearly hugged her to death…literally. Charlie didn’t mind though. Uncle Jimmy was her favorite. He understood her in ways that no one could ever dream of, and he cared her for her as if she was his own daughter. He was sweet and loving, and Charlie had never felt more comfortable around a human being than she did around him, not even her own two parents, or Lucas, or even Jack for that matter.

Most of the Avenged family were gathered between outside on the back patio and inside in the kitchen. Charlie was lying on her back in the backyard, staring up at the night sky, trying to count as many stars as she possibly could. She was alone, which she didn’t mind. Jack was talking with her Uncle Matt and a few of the other’s, and Lucas was playing hide n go seek with their cousins, Harper who was seven and belonged to Johnny and Lacey, Eden who was nine and belonged to Zacky and Gena, and Liam who was twelve and belonged to Matt and Val, all while Charlie lied content where she was, enjoying her time alone.

“Hey Cupcake,” Jimmy murmured as he sat down in the grass beside her suddenly, startling her a bit.

“Hi,” She said.

He turned to look at her, watching as she kept her eyes still focused on the sky and stars, “You wanna talk about it?”

“Hell no.”

Jimmy chuckled quietly, “Alright.”

“Uncle Jimmy, can I ask you something?” She still never looked his way.

“Of course.”

“Do you…do you think that I deserved it? Being raped, I mean?” Charlie questioned, not fazed one bit by the word rape, even though Jimmy winced at the mere word slipping past her lips.

“No one deserves to be hurt in that way, Charlie,” He replied, shaking his head, “Especially not you.”

She stayed silent, breathing in and out deeply, taking in as much of the fresh air as she could.

“Do you think you deserved it?” Jimmy asked.

Charlie licked over her lips, “I don’t know. Maybe,” She shrugged. “I trust people too easily, and I try and see the good in everyone, and I guess I just didn’t want to believe it.”

“Believe what?” Jimmy narrowed his eyes, feeling confused.

“That he was a total creep who just wanted to sleep with me, rather than actually just being friends with me,” She said, “But I don’t know, I should have known better. Not all men are as nice as you and my dad and the other’s apart of our family.”

“Just remember this, Charlie. Just because this one guy hurt you and violated you, does not mean that another guy you meet someday is going to do the same thing. There are good men out there, but there are also men who hurt women. I don’t understand why,” He shook his head, “They’re cowards.”

“What if know one believes me?” She asked suddenly. “Everyone I attend school with has to know what happened by now since he’s on the football team. What if they don’t believe me, and they call me a slut and a liar?”

“They won’t.”

“But how do you know that, Uncle Jimmy?”

“I don’t,” He shrugged his shoulders, “But you know what, even if they don’t believe you, you know that it happened, and that’s all that should matter. Who cares what those snotty teenagers believe. You still have your friends.”

Charlie sighed, licking over her lips, “I suppose your right.”

“Always am,” He joked, a grin stretching across his lips, making Charlie toss her head back against the grass and laugh at him. “Will you promise me something, Cupcake?”

“Maybe.”

“Whatever happens from here on out, don’t ever lose your laugh or your smile, because those two things are important in life. And just remember this; you’ve already gotten past the worst part of what happened. Now all you need to do is put it behind you and move on,” He told her.

Charlie smiled softly over at him, “Got it, Uncle Jimmy. Thanks.”

The niece and uncle exchanged another small hug before Jimmy got up and wandered off, leaving her alone again, except this time around, she didn’t really want to be alone. So she pulled herself off the ground and went to find Jack. Uncle Matt, Uncle Zacky, her dad, and Jack were all standing around by the pool, talking and laughing about something. She slipped past her Uncle Matt and leaned into Jack’s side as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

“There you are,” Matt smiled at her, revealing his dimpled smile.

Charlie tucked a lock of her wavy hair behind her ear and forced a smile, “Hi.”

Not wanting to stick around and talk with them at that moment, she took a hold of Jacks hand and led him away from them, murmuring she wanted to go inside. Jack excused himself from the men and went with Charlie. Soon, the two teenagers disappeared inside.

Brian sighed before gulping down another mouthful of beer, “I’m worried sick about her.”

“She’s so shy around us suddenly,” Zacky muttered, shaking his head.

“I think she’s ashamed to face everyone,” Brian admitted, “Like she feels we think it’s her fault with what happened.”

Matt shook his head angrily, “That’s fucked up. Every one knows Charlie did nothing wrong.”

“Rose and I were thinking about sending her to a therapist.”

Matt and Zacky turned to him with surprised expressions. “Do you think she’ll actually talk to someone about what happened?” Zacky asked.

“I don’t know,” Brian shrugged, “It’s a worth a try. I mean, it’s not like she’s speaking to Rose and I about it.”

“I just can’t believe this even happened to her,” Matt said, “But if you think her seeing someone will help then you should set it up.”

Brian nodded, knowing it was worth a shot. If he and Rose can’t help her than maybe a therapist can if she’ll let them.