Just Like Heaven

Vertigo

I tugged at my hair as I entered the new Starbucks on my way home. It had just opened and I was dying for one of those frappachino things that everyone raves about. My friend, Paula, had bought one and *mistakenly* gave me a sip, so I had become hooked on the wonderful taste. It was a sweet addiction that I was finally indulging in. It was lovely.

I went in, the smell of sweet coffee beans hit my nostrils. I smiled to myself, it reminded me of my childhood, oddly enough. I stood in line, I grabbed my pocket book and grabbed $10 from it, then closed it up. Once I was at the counter, I ordered the one with the most chocolate and whipped cream, with chocolate chips in it. I have a sweet tooth, and this would do me over real good.

I waited patiently for my drink and began to fiddle with my coat. I stood by, feeling a pair of eyes on me; I looked up and saw a young guy, with dark sunglasses and dark hair, in a grey hoodie, with the sleeves pulled up, looking at me. My cheeks burned red, I turned away; I had a feeling this guy was going to follow me.

"Morgan." The pretty barista called my name, and I mentally scolded myself. Why didn't I use a fake name?

I smiled and went up, "Thank you." I said.

"Anytime." She waved sweetly.

I took a sip and headed out the door. I pulled my shoulder bag up my arm, cradling my drink in one hand, I didn't even think twice about the guy. That is, until I got to the corner of my street, and I felt a chill. Might've been that guy, or my cold drink. Whatever it was, it was making me very uncomfortable.

I walked across the street, and to my apartment building. I could hear feet pounding the pavement behind me, and I turned and looked. It was that guy again, only this time, he had earbuds in his ears. My only thought was, God, I hope he doesn't rape me, and that I was ordering in tonight. Pretty odd of me.

I jogged up the stairs, entering the hall, and I saw the guy at the bottom, checking his mail. I raised my brow; He lives here? My rapist lives near me?

Ok, I was taking it far with the whole rapist thing, but, c'mon, he followed me. Well...not intentionally, but he did. I knew I was wrong, but I couldn't help myself.

Once I got into my apartment, I locked the doors up real tight and stripped out of my work clothes. I didn't think twice about that guy, not even when my pizza was delivered.

***

The next day was laundry day. I have my whole life planned out on a weekly basis. Saturday is laundry day; then I go to the galleries in town and then to the book store. I am not one for a disruptive schedule, I keep everything on task. I'm a full person.

I went down to the machines, in my building, hulking everything in my laundry basket. I wore the same gym t-shirt and jeans, with my old All-Stars from high school. I didn't seem to put much effort into my clothes on a Saturday morning.

As I got to the laundry mat, I saw the same guy from the previous day. My heart thumped erratically as he scolded himself; he had turned the lot of his underwear pink, and his favorite hoodie pink as well. The thought of him being a rapist totally exited my mind.

I giggled, to myself, noticing he was wearing headphones, and went to the washer to get my clothes started. He had looked at me; he smiled, the self scolding gone. "Hi." He said softly.

"Hi." I replied, turning to my clothes.

The guy kept glancing over, even with his clothes turned to hell, he smile at me. I didn't feel uncomfortable, I felt drawn to him, honestly. I looked over at him, placing my whites in the washer first.

"I...um," He came over to me and took his earbud out; I smiled when I heard Elise by the Cure, "I saw you yesterday..." he trailed; his dark eyes followed mine as I looked at his face; he was really handsome.

"Yeah..." I leaned against the washer, "I thought you were following me." I gave a sheepish laugh.

His eyes grew wide, "I was!" He recoiled, making me giggle, "Not like a stalker or anything...I just...I thought..." he was at a loss for words.

I put a hand out, "Morgan. I'm Morgan Haley."

He exhaled softly, shaking my hand, "Mikey Way." He let go of my hand, "I'm sorry if I came off creepy...I've lived downstairs from you for about a year and I thought you were kind of...cool."

I smiled confusingly, "Me, cool?" 

"Yeah, um, I saw you wearing a Billy Corgan t-shirt, and then I saw you bought Dawn of the Dead."

"The original." I told him, "I'm a horror and comedy movie fanatic." I told him, "I love the Cure and the Smashing Pumpkins, though, I am madly in love with the Smiths."

The Mikey fellow grinned, "Oh shit." 

"What?"

"I think you're the girl of my dreams." He breathed out happily.

I raised my brow playfully, "That so?"

He nodded, "Yeah...you wanna go out or something? I hate to be so blunt about it, but I'd love to get to know you a lot better."

I chewed at my bottom lip. I hadn't had a proper date in over a year, and now this strange guy was asking me out. I felt nervous, almost sick because I didn't know how to properly date.

I nodded dumbly, "Sure."

"How about tonight? Do you like Vertigo? There's a showing in town at the theatre." Mikey rambled quickly, and I immediately found it adorable.

"Yeah, I like Vertigo."

I had a feeling this would be a start of a beautiful friendship.
♠ ♠ ♠
I started another one.
I can't help but to write about Mikey Way now, I dunno why.
Anyway, I hope you all like it. Did you get here from my shameless plugging?
If so, thanks for checking this out. Thank you very much for reading.

xo alison santi