Just Like Heaven

Help

The first night without Mikey was hard. I slept in my bed, wishing he was with me. It was hard going to sleep without his body beside mine. It was even harder when all night we texted each other. I missed him so much; I could smell him on my pillows and my sheets.

I never thought I would act like this, but I did. I actually liked it, though, it was new and exciting. I knew once he would be back, I would fall back into his arms like I was used to.

"How is everything there?" I asked him.

"Hard." He mumbled, "I hate being here."

"I hate that you're there, too." I told him, "I can't wait until you're home."

"Speaking of home, have you thought about lookin' yet?"

"Yeah, after work, I was gonna check the ads."

"Where are you now?"

"I'm at my desk, playing solitaire. My boss is out with his little mistress, and he said to take messages." 

"You really hate your job, don't you?" He chuckled.

"Very much so, but I'm too lazy to find a new one."

"Wow, you're so ambitious, M." Mikey said sarcastically with another chuckle.

I exasperated, "I told you, babe, I'm a lazy sloth."

"Yeah, I know. Hey, I got to go. I have to talk to her..." He trailed quietly.

"Alright. I love you."

"Love you, too."

Mikey and I hung up, and I went back to my lame game. A minute into it, Paula showed up at my desk, "Hey. Where's--"

I cut her off, "He's with his chew toy."

She laughed, "So, you're taking messages?"

"Yep."

"Bummer. Is your boyfriend still gone?"

"Until Saturday." I frowned.

"You still have a couple days. Wanna go out on Friday?"

"I dunno." I shrugged.

"C'mon! We can get hammered and take a taxi home."

"No, thank you."

"You're no fun, Morgan!" She sulked playfully.

"I know, I'm such a drag." I said sarcastically.

"Well, you gotta do something with me!"

"We can go see a movie."

"Lame." She mimicked my funny Midwestern accent.

"Well, what do you suggested, besides clubbing?"

"I don't know, I like to drink, I'm 26."

"We can just get drunk at home."

She grinned, "Oh, fuck yeah! We can call Liz and Sarah. Make a party of it."

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah, we'll celebrate."

"Hey, hey, no one said celebrate, Ms. Party-Hater. We are just gonna have some fun."

"Alright. Whatever, I'm down."

"Good, because you were going to be down either way."

I exasperated again, "Get back to work."

"I am."

•••

The days seemed to drag by slowly, but by Friday night, I was ecstatic. Mikey would be home soon, and I was going to get drunk. I knew that a hangover in the morning is not something to get excited over, but I wanted to have some type of fun.

I settled over at Paula's, with Liz and Sarah, and we immediately started to do shots. We made up stupid games that made no sense, and drank until we couldn't stand. Liz and I ended up on the floor, unable to hold onto anything. Sarah had passed out on the love seat, and Paula was still throwing shots back. It was possibly the most fun I had, had in a while.

By the time morning arrived, I was hungover, the air was thick with the smell of spilt alcohol and lime. I rubbed my head, looking around; Liz was passed out, as well as Sarah, and Paula was nowhere insight. I got up, stumbling a bit, and walked towards her bathroom; I then heard her dry heave.

"I'm out!" I told her from the hall, "I'm gonna go home and take a hot bath."

She groaned, "Okay."

I grabbed my shoes and headed out the door; I went straight into my apartment, and the wave of nausea hit me. I grabbed my shoes and ran to the bathroom; holding my puke back as much as I could. I made it, thank God...

But, hell, the rest of the day I was puking my guts out. I was in so much pain, I could barely move from the corner of my bathroom. Everything spun, my insides were cramping, I felt the worst ache in my body and I knew I needed help.

I had my phone and called Paula, "I need help." I said as soon as she answered.

"Help? With what?"

"I think I'm dying." I told her.

"Are you joking?"

"No! I can't stop throwing up, I'm fucking sick! Help me!"

•••

The doctor's had said that I had too much to drink. They stuck an IV in my arm and hydrated me. I stuck to clear, non-alcoholic fluids, and I would be able to go home the following day.

That wouldn't be good for me, because I was suppose to get Mikey from the airport. I had a feeling he was gonna be angry that I drank so much, I ended up in the hospital. 

"This is crazy." Paula said to me, once I was in the standard 24-hour observation room, "Are you gonna get out of work?"

"For an entire week." I grumbled.

"Shit, how much did you drink?"

"Enough to practically kill me."

"Insane."

"Hey, do you have my phone?" I asked her.

"Yep," she handed it to me, "your mom keeps calling, along with your brother."

"Jesus." I grumbled again, "I have to call Mikey first, tell him I can't pick him up."

"What time does his flight get in?"

"7 or 8."

"That's a few hours from now, you want me to pick him up?"

I shook my head, "No, it's okay."

I dialed Mikey's number, getting him just in time, because he answered hurriedly, "Hey, I'm getting on the plane."

"I'm not going to be able to pick you up." I told him just as fast.

"What? Why not?" He sounded curious, not upset.

"I'm sorta...in the hospital." I mumbled.

"In the hospital!? What the hell, Morgan? What happened?!"

"I got sick." I didn't lie.

"Sick? How bad? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, I'm just gonna be here for another day.

"Shit, M. I'm gonna head straight there."

"No, no, it's fine. Just go home, I don't think they'll let you in anyway, Paula is barely able to stay, because she isn't family."

"Never mind that, I'll be there." With that, he hung up the phone.

"What did Mr. Mysterio say?" Paula smirked at me.

"He's gonna be here." I told her simply.