Just Like Heaven

Invasion of the Body Snatchers 2

When a guy usually breaks up with me, I go for a walk. Walking makes me feel better, but I didn't want to walk. I wanted to crawl into my bed and die.

I didn't have the energy to move or to talk. I just laid in my bed, sobbing quietly. I didn't even want to use the bathroom or eat.

An entire day went by, before Paula knocked on my door. I could hear her calling my name, but I didn't bother. My phone had rang off the hook until I just shut it off.

Finally, I got up around 1 am, after sulking for a day, and grabbed my phone. I had missed calls from Paula and my mom. I listened to my messages first, to get it out the way.

"Morgan, this is your mother, I'm calling because your father is really sick and I would like for you to try and see him before he gets any worse." -Next.

"Hey, where are you? Are you okay? Call me when you get this." -Paula.

"M...it's me, Brendan. Uh...I don't know how to say this, because you won't answer your phone and it's very important...dad died last night. We're having a burial in the next 72 hours, and mom wants you to come. I know it seems sudden and you hate coming home, but you got to."

I looked at my phone in disbelief; my dad had died in the middle of my sulking. I initially didn't feel bad, and that made me hate myself even more. Me and my dad weren't close, but it sucks that he passed. I didn't know how my mom would hold up, or if she even was upset; she and my dad didn't get along too well, either, but they did dote of Max.

I sighed and called Brendan, getting him at the first ring; "Where have you been?"

"I was sick...still sick. Sorry. Is mom okay?"

"Mom is fine." Brendan said softly, sighing, too, "She wants you to come home."

"I will...I'll try, I don't have a lot for a plane ticket."

"She already set it up for you."

I raised my brow, "Really?"

"Yeah, the burial is gonna be quick, too, y'know...since we don't do the whole church thing."

"What happened, B? How did he go?"

"Heart attack. He had been feeling woozy for a couple days, until he got sick the other day, and last night, he had a heart attack."

I rubbed my neck, "Damn. When's my flight?"

•••

Everything happened so fast, it was like I was whipped into a hurricane. One minute I was broken hearted, the next, I was packing for a couple days' trip to my hometown. I sure as hell didn't want to go home, but I had to, for my dad.

Paula came over after I knocked on her door and told her about my dad. She helped me pack and made me some food before I left. There was a curious look on her face while I ate; she wanted to know why I was quiet.

"Where's Mikey?" She finally asked.

I shrugged, "Dunno." I continued to eat, she stared blankly at me.

"Did you guys get into a fight?"

I nodded, "Yeah. He broke up with me."

She frowned, "How come?"

"I guess his wife needs him."

"Ex-wife you mean..." she trailed.

I shrugged again, "Eh, whatever. She needs him, he dumped me. The sky is blue, the grass is green. What's the big deal?" I was hiding my hurt real well, it took me by surprise.

"Morgan, you loved him...a lot."

I shook my head, "No, I was just kidding myself. I don't like him as much as I seemed like I did." Again, I lied.

Paula frowned, "I don't believe you."

"So? It's true, believe it or not." I pushed my plate away, "Thanks for the food, I gotta jet."

"Slow down, M, what's wrong?" Paula rushed to me, holding onto my shoulders, "Is it your dad?"

I shook my head, "I'm still sick from the other day," I lied, "besides, me and my dad never really got along."

"It's Mikey, isn't it?"

I shook my head again, "No. He's just a guy I dated, y'know? No big deal, it's over. One of the shortest, I might add."

Paula frowned, "You promise?"

"On my life." I lied again.

•••

Paula drove me to the airport and saw me off. I had everything I needed for this trip, except a real reason on why I was crying. I cried a lot while on the plane, because of Mikey; not because of my dad's death, how lame is that?

I was crying over a guy who didn't want me. A guy I wanted more than anything else on this planet. I guess things don't work out the way you want them to, and it may hurt, but you have to move on.

I stopped crying by the time I got off the plane. I spotted Max, who ran over to me and hugged me, "Hi Auntie."

"Hey, dude." I patted his shaggy brown hair, "Where's your dad?"

He let me go and took hold of my wrist, "Getting some fast food."

I followed Max to the food court, sure enough, Brendan was shoveling food down his throat. I finally smiled and tapped his arm, "B, did you get me anything?"

He smiled, food still caved in his mouth, "M." Was all he could say, and hugged me.

"Hey, how's ma?" I asked as I hugged him back.

He let me go, "Well, y'know, she and dad never saw eye to eye about things."

I nodded, "Still, he's her husband."

He looked at my face, eying my tear stained face, "And he's your dad."

"I cried, a lot of crying went on in that plane." I told him.

He nodded, "I'm not saying anything else." He nudged his head towards Max, who was munching on chili cheese fries.

"Yeah, okay. Let's go."


The ride to my parents was quiet, and I was surprised they didn't pester me about Mikey. To be honest, I don't think I'd be able to tell them we broke up without crying. I could blame it on my dad's sudden death, but I couldn't do that; it's bad enough I hadn't even cried for him.

When we got to the house, I saw a few cars out, and some people leaving. I knew that these were my parents friends, because my parents entertained a lot. My dad had lots of carpenter friends and my mom had a lot of nursing friends. 

"Hello there, little Morgan!" Cathy -my mother's oldest friend- smiled at me as she descended the porch steps, "How are you sweetie? I haven't seen you in years!"

I gave her a nice hug, "I'm fine, Mrs. Gamble. How are you?"

"Just great. I'm sorry about your father."

I nodded, "Um, thank you...is my mom..." I trailed.

"You know Cora." She whispered to me, "She's fine. It was nice seeing you."

"You, too."

She patted my shoulder and I followed Brendan and Max into the house, slugging my bag on my shoulder. As soon as we stepped in, I could smell a lot of food being cooked and prepared. A few men were sitting in the living room, talking, and there was my mother; bright red hair, with some light grey hairs showing, speaking and smiling to them. 

"Ma, Morgan is here." Brendan put his hand on my shoulder as we walked in.

My mom looked over and smiled, "Oh, hello sweetie."

-She has never, ever called me sweetie before. She barely ever remembered my name. She used to call me M.

"Hi, ma." I said awkwardly.

She hugged me. Cora Haley doesn't hug me. Am I in a remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

I hugged her awkwardly back. She pecked my cheek. Seriously, am I in the Twilight Zone?

"Are you hungry?" She asked, her dark green eyes scanned my face, her fingers rolled over my cheeks, trying to clear the tear stains.

"Just a little." I said shyly.

I am not comfortable with her being this close.

My mom sighed softly, "Max, help Morgan to her room and then wash up. There's lots to eat. Brendan, keep your father's friends company for me, please?"

Brendan nodded, "Yeah, sure."

My mom smiled at me again, then turned her heel to head to the kitchen. I scratched my head, "Maxie, is Cora on drugs?"

Max laughed, "Grandma isn't on drugs. I think she's happy you're home."

Bullshit.
♠ ♠ ♠
A lot, right?