Just Like Heaven

Heavy

I had fallen asleep and woke up with a massive headache. My phone was ringing, making my head pound. I snatched it from the bedside table, answering angrily, "What?!"

"Shit...you're still mad." Of all people, it was him, Mikey.

"What the fuck do you want? I have a goddamn headache."

"I came over to talk to you, but you weren't home. I tried to ask Paula, but she's at work. Where are you?"

I stated at my phone in disbelief, "Fuck off." I hung up, shutting the phone off, and laid back in my bed.

My headache kept me up, until I finally staggered to the bathroom and got Tylenol and washed my face. The clock in the hall read that it was 5 am; too damn early for anything. I don't even think the sun has woke up and pissed yet.

I slugged my body back to my bed and fell right back to sleep. My headache was gone by the time I woke up again. I heard my mom calling my name, too, I sat up, rubbing my eyes, and grabbed my phone. I turned it on, revealing the time to be 9 am.

I put it down, grabbed my toiletry bag and walked out of my room, "Yeah, ma?" I called.

"I made breakfast. Come eat, then get ready. We have to get to the funeral home by 12."

"Alright." I placed my stuff in the bathroom, then went downstairs to eat.

To my surprise, Brendan and Max were already seated and eating. I joined them, rubbing the sleep from my face. My mom served me, sat and we began to eat. No one spoke, really, just a few things said by Max.

I finished my food, "I'm gonna go get ready." I told them.

They all nodded and I went on my merry way, upstairs.

•••

I saw my dad, for the last time and the first time in months. He still looked the same, a bit more tired than I remembered, though. I stood a few feet from his casket and didn't touch him. Looking at him was enough, I'm sure he wouldn't want me near him anyway. My mom touched him, she stroked his cheek and talked to him, while Brendan, Max and I stood back.

I had nothing to say to him, all of his friends did, but I didn't. A lot of them made a fuss about how funny and manly he was. I don't remember my dad even cracking a joke, I don't even think he spoke; he grunted a lot. I don't think I'd miss the grunting, I don't even really think I'll miss him at all; how horrible am I?

I walked around the old funeral home, as everyone inside paid their respects. I don't like being around dead people too long, it starts to make me think of my own immortality. I think my mom likes dead people, I mean, she works at a hospital. I didn't stay out too long, it was going to stormy, ash like colored clouds were gathering and the rain was beginning to fall. I loved the rain, but I was starting to hate it, now.

"Morgan?" I heard my mother's voice, "Honey, there's someone I'd like you to meet."

I turned, my heels make a scraping noise on the damp sidewalk, "Yes?" I saw my mom with her hand on the shoulder of a broad shoulder male, he had shaggy brown hair, and he was dressed up in a suit. He sort of reminded me of Seth.

I walked up the steps and met with them; he had gorgeous green eyes and a shy smile; "Morgan this is Luke Roberts, Luke, this my daughter Morgan."

His smile grew and he stuck his hand out, "Hey. I think I went to school with you."

I shook his hand, "Possibly...I wasn't very popular."

"I think I did. You went to New Trier?"

"Yeah, I did."

Out the corner of my eye I could see my mom smiling, I looked at her, she patted my shoulder, "You two keep talking, I'll be inside."

I shook my head, "So, did you know my pop or something?"

"I worked with him for the last couple of years. I think it's when you left; he talked about you a lot."

I raised my brow, "Really?"

He nodded, "Yeah, he said that he wish you would come 'round more often."

I scratched my head, like I usually do when in highly confused, "What? Are you sure? Carl Haley said this?"

Luke nodded, giving me a funny look in the process, "Yeah...why?"

"It's just...me and my dad never ever talked, at all." I crossed my arms around my middle, "This is all sort of weird."

"I don't think so...I think your dad didn't know how to express his love for you."

"Eh, sounds like a good enough explanation." I left it at that.

Luke and I continued to talk until everyone moved onto the close by cemetery; we only talked about what we were doing now. The wind was picking up, and the rain was beginning to fall a little bit harder. As soon as my father's off white casket was lowered into the ground, everyone went up and hugged my family, and me, and gave us their condolences again; I said goodbye to Luke and have him a swift hug. We thanked them and then said goodbye to everyone; the 4 of us stayed at the plot, looking down as the grave diggers began to fill his grave with moist dirt. I held my breath, once it was filled, scolding myself for lack of emotion.

Everything was so heavy.
♠ ♠ ♠
Updated again, because it's a filler.
I have a tad bit of a feeling that this will end soon
Also, please forgive any mistakes, I'm trying to get back to involving Mikey :)