Just Like Heaven

Creepy

I left for work the following morning and saw a familiar face coming up the entry. I had seen the face, the white hair, but I couldn't place it. The guy had a chubby, but fit build, the white hair, a black leather jacket, boots and 2 coffees. I couldn't stop staring, because I knew I had seen him somewhere before. I squinted at him as he walked up.

"Good morning," he said casually.

"Morning." I greeted back.

He walked past me, and I couldn't help but watch him walk over by Mikey's place. I shook my head, walking down the entry, towards my own car, and didn't give the white haired stranger any other thought.

I parked in the parking garage and walked up my building. I said hello to everyone that past, smiling as I got to the elevator. Just as I pressed the 3rd floor button, Paula jumped on; breathing heavily. I raised my brow at her; "What?" she said.

"What--"

"I wanted coffee, and wouldn't you know it, they closed the Starbucks across the street."

I groaned, "Oh fuck, really? Now I have to fucking waste my gas to get coffee for everyone?"

Paula nodded, "Me, too. This fucking sucks. Speaking of sucks, how was your date?"

I smiled at the thought of Mikey; "It was great, we had coffee yesterday."

She made a kissing noise, "Aw! How adorable. Is he still creepy?"

I rolled my eyes, "He isn't creepy. You wanna hear creepy? This guy, I know I've seen him before, but I cannot remember his name, comes up to the complex."

"What's so creepy bout that?" The elevator doors opened.

We stepped out, preparing to go separate ways, "He had white hair." 

Paula made a face, "How do you know him?"

I shrugged, "I dunno, but I've seen his face before."

"Maybe you had déjà vu." Paula smirked and turned to walk towards her sector.

"No!" I called to her.

She just giggled and continued walking.


Throughout my morning routine of filing, copying and setting up meetings, that white haired stranger was on my mind. It was bothering me that I couldn't figure out where I had seen him before. I wanted to rip my hair out at the fact that I couldn't place him.

Trust me, I never dwell on things, and this was killing me. I tried to busy myself, but the whole day was a drag. Two of the partners were out on vacation, and the other was having his usual meetings downstairs. This left me with nothing to do but think. I hate over thinking this.

Before I could rip my scalp off, my office phone rang; "Kingsley and Prince, how may I help you?"

"Well, I see you're still working." 

I smiled at my brother's voice, "Brendan, hey!"

"Are you busy, sis?"

"No, actually, I was considering playing a game of solitaire."

He chuckled, "Hard worker."

"Yes, I am. Now, what did you call me for, brother of mine?"

"Spring break, Max wanted to come and hang out with you, he says some superhero movie is coming out next weekend and he wants you to take him."

"That sounds fine by me," then, Mikey came to mind, "hey, um, I'm kind of seeing someone..."

"Who?" My brother is the typical overprotective sibling, he seemed to hate any male contact, other than family, alone with me.

"He's a nice guy, Brendan, so don't worry."

"How long have you been seeing him?"

"Just a few days, and he's really sweet on me." I gushed confidently to him.

"As long as he hasn't gotten into your pants yet."

I cringed, "Dude."

"I'm just watching out for you, Morgan."

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah, whatever, I don't need you checkin' up on me; I'm 24 years old. Besides he's a nice guy, I really like him. I think you and Max will, too, he's a dork."

Brendan scoffed, "I am not a dork."

"Whatever you say bro."

After a few more jokes, back and forth, I hung up with my brother. The conversation had put me in a better mood, and I didn't think, too much. I got lunch across the way, and then finished my work. By the time I was off, I didn't think about that white haired guy, until Paula got in the elevator with me.

"Didn't see you at lunch, Mr. Gelding was hassling me. So, did you figure out about your white haired stranger?"

I groaned, "Not until now."

She rolled her eyes, "You think too much."

"No I don't, I'm just over thinking today, because I know I've seen him somewhere before."

"Like where? On TV, in a magazine, on the street?"

I shrugged as the doors opened, "I dunno. I can't place it, now it's gonna bug me."

Paula just laughed, "Don't worry about it. I'm sure you probably saw him on the street."

"With hair like his, I would remember."

"Maybe he just dyed it."

"Probably."

*

I parked in my usual spot when I got home, and walked up to the complex. I prepared to walk up the stairs, when I saw Mikey sitting there. He had sunglasses on, a cigarette hung loosely at his fingertips; he didn't seem to pay it any attention.

"Hey."

He looked at me, tossed his cigarette, his lips turned up in a rich smile, "Hey. Y'know, I don't have your number."

"Oh, yeah...well, we must've forgotten to do all that." I told him.

He lent out his hand, offering me to sit beside him, and I did, "I kind of like it...not being able to be in constant contact. It reminds me of when I was a teenager."

"I suppose so."

"Are you okay with me being all weird? Like not wanting your number?"

I shrugged, "I can't deny that it's strange--"

He cut me off, "How about I take yours down?"

"You don't want me to call you?" I asked with a little teasing, jesting tone.

"It's not that, it's just...nostalgic reasons, and besides...uh, my meetings are strictly no phone calls."

I nodded, "Alright, I guess it's okay."

I felt like I was being naive, but I like him so much. I would've done anything he asked. If he asked me to jump, I'd say how high. Yeah, I'm falling in love. Love can make you do strange things.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes, this a lighthearted story. Nothing like Hurricane...let's hope.